Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

This Oakland team is not even the best team in their schools recent history, let alone the state's history. 1995-1996 BA, 2008-2009 MUS, MBA late 90's early 2000s teams, 2012 Ensworth, 2015 BA, 2017 BA, 2014 Maryville, some of the late 2000's early 2010's Alcoa teams, and 1990's Riverdale teams, and that's just a few off the top of my head and theres many more I could name, all would beat this team by a substantial margin. Oakland's teams from 2015-2018 were all better than this team imo also. 

5 hours ago, cbg said:

The publics and privates should still be playing each other.  Just look at the attendance for the Oakland vs Lipscomb game!  There is a high probability that the state championship game will not have has many fans.  The split between the public and private schools has  done nothing more than water down high school athletics in Tennessee.  Based on population alone Tennessee should not have more than a total of five divisions in football.  

If all privates played highest class maybe / they can hide to many 

It's all subjective, but the best team I've ever seen in person was the Riverdale team in '94. Being an Oak Ridge fan, I have to include our '91 team, they lost 1 game but it was to out of state opponent Paducah-Tilghman, and we lost by 1 point. We ended up finishing ranked #20 in the nation that year. Also, never saw them, but I'll also give a shout out to the '79 team that placed #3 in the nation at seasons end that year. It's hard to compare the teams of the past to today's modern game of football though, the athletes (size and speed, workout regimen), as well as the style of play is just night and day. 

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ADS1 said:

Benny Monroe had three great years in a row!!!  They were awesome.  My poor Eagles tried to keep up with them, but they had too much talent, it was at the end of the late Bill Horton's career.  Watched a lot of Cleveland /Rhea county games.  

Dante Hickey could easily  be one of  the top players in East TN history. 

30 minutes ago, 6one5 said:

This Oakland team is not even the best team in their schools recent history, let alone the state's history. 1995-1996 BA, 2008-2009 MUS, MBA late 90's early 2000s teams, 2012 Ensworth, 2015 BA, 2017 BA, 2014 Maryville, some of the late 2000's early 2010's Alcoa teams, and 1990's Riverdale teams, and that's just a few off the top of my head and theres many more I could name, all would beat this team by a substantial margin. Oakland's teams from 2015-2018 were all better than this team imo also. 

Lets keep in mind this season isn't over yet, but Oakland has beaten 4 really good programs. To win the title, they'll have to probably beat a combo of Riverdale, Maryville and Summit. That's a possible 7 wins you can hang your hat on.

You maybe can make the argument that '16 and '18 were as good, but definitively better? '16 couldn't finish the deal and '18 slipped against Maryville earlier in the season. '15 wasn't quite there yet and '17 took every bit of Coaching magic to get them to the semis. This team isn't the best but there isn't a long list of teams ( current or past) that could beat them either

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

It's all subjective, but the best team I've ever seen in person was the Riverdale team in '94. Being an Oak Ridge fan, I have to include our '91 team, they lost 1 game but it was to out of state opponent Paducah-Tilghman, and we lost by 1 point. We ended up finishing ranked #20 in the nation that year. Also, never saw them, but I'll also give a shout out to the '79 team that placed #3 in the nation at seasons end that year. It's hard to compare the teams of the past to today's modern game of football though, the athletes (size and speed, workout regimen), as well as the style of play is just night and day. 

Off topic, but if it wasn't for Oakland and Riverdale, Gaddis would have a resume that rivals anyone not named Quarles or Rankin

4 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Off topic, but if it wasn't for Oakland and Riverdale, Gaddis would have a resume that rivals anyone not named Quarles or Rankin

You aren't wrong. Lots of almost wins for the Cats against those 2 teams through the years. Unfortunately, almost ain't cuttin' it haha.

Edited by SweetScience

11 hours ago, 6one5 said:

Not sure what teams you remember, however, I would have to disagree with you on most of the teams. This Oakland team could beat many of the teams you are mentioning.  I am a Riverdale Warrior fan, and we never had D-1 talent during the stretches in which you are referencing.  Oakland has at least two D-1 commits.