Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

2 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

I would love to see Northshore/Oakland or Katy/Oakland.....

Or Allen, Southlake vs the best from TN whether it is an Oakland, BA, etc. Interesting in TX that the public schools are so dominant that the privates do not like playing them. 

2 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

I got no problem with saying Oakland would probably get crushed. Tennessee can hold their own against other states until you get to TX,CA,GA,FLA and OH. HSFB in those states is just a completely different animal. 

Larger high schools in some of those states can be upwards of 4,500 students.

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

I agree. Their schedule wasn't nearly as daunting last year as it is this year. If they run the table, that's gonna be 7 wins against high level competition. They have a chance to achieve alot of history in the playoffs. That said, they were in a similar position in 2019 and didn't get the job done, so nothing is set in stone

Kudos to Oakland for their schedule, it made for good for some good football watching and discussion vs the usual blowouts we see each week across the state.  I am thinking more than half the games end in a 3-4+ score rout.  

2 hours ago, JRB said:

Larger high schools in some of those states can be upwards of 4,500 students.

Even if Oakland were to play a school around the size of it's own enrollment, I'd harbor doubts. We're talking about a state where HS programs fill up 20,000+ seat stadiums. Now if you were to pit Oakland against anybody from MS, KY, AL, NC or SC I'd probably feel differently. They just beat one of the top tier programs in MS and it wasn't even closr

2 hours ago, JRB said:

Kudos to Oakland for their schedule, it made for good for some good football watching and discussion vs the usual blowouts we see each week across the state.  I am thinking more than half the games end in a 3-4+ score rout.  

Part of it is just playing who is willing  to schedule is, which is an incredibly thin file. I do like that Creasy has no qualms scrimmaging the best teams he.

I do think you hit on part of the reason why the TSSAA has a attendance problem. The number of truly great games in a given season are few and far between and they are usually between the same teams

50 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Would you please list them? Did you see that team play?

That's what I'm saying... I was on the receiving end of that 70-28 beatdown at home. That will never happen against another Maryville team at home ever again I imagine.

Edited by JSamson7

16 hours ago, cbg said:

You are correct with regards to the population in Tennessee.  Let's be honest and say that the population of the Houston, Texas area is currently 6.4 million and Tennessee is 6.0 million.  Being the best high school football team in Tennessee is like being the city champs of Houston.  

Not though it is much larger than you are quoting, but the population of TN is now around 6.7 million.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, 6one5 said:

Never said that they can not win from behind, but it makes it much harder to do so when you have a running based offense like the wing T. One thing that has always been an advantage that Oakland has is that their defense has always been a top tier defense even back to Mcdaniel days and especially Creasy, and this allows them to primarily rely on run game. Although I would argue that the Air Raid, Run & Shoot, Veer & shoot, etc do not come from the wing t lineage, the way which teams play now and current athletic ability, there really is no "pure" offense anymore except in a few specific instances(think Mike Leach, June Jones, Rich Rod, etc). I will agree with you that Creasy has significantly diversified his offense since he came to Oakland, but he still loves that wing t lol. One point I will add is that at a certain point, you will eventually get beat if you do not have an advanced passing game. Oakland does not have to deal with this much as they are athletically superior to 99-100% of teams in TN, but once you meet someone who has as good or better athletes on defense then you will be forced to throw it. The best example of this I can think of to represent this for Oakland would be the 2016 Whitehaven game. I remember them just continually trying to pound the ball on Whitehaven that game and their defense did not budge bc they were incredibly talented that year, whereas if they had a better passing game then things more than likely would have went the other way.

As I recall, Whithaven had to come back in the last 8 minutes of the fourth quarter.  Don’t think there was much offense produced on either side.

RE: 1993 Cleveland team. I will quote what Coach Monroe told the media when they were doing a retrospective of that team “You know, people remember that team for the offense, it averaged 50 points a game, but the real secret to the success of that team was the defense. We had 11 stallions on defense! You could have taken any one of the 11, put them on another team, and built a championship defense around them. And we had all 11!”

• Upvote 1