Recruiting... the good, the bad & the ugly

blazer1set

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

There sure is a lot of talk now about schools recruiting players.      I have no idea if that is happening or not, just wondering if anyone has empirical evidence that can be shared to enlighten the rest of us??

I think it’s more common for kids to shop around than it used to be. Then some parents are in a better position to move than others. High school don’t need a transfer portal…just two men and a truck.

51 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

There sure is a lot of talk now about schools recruiting players.      I have no idea if that is happening or not, just wondering if anyone has empirical evidence that can be shared to enlighten the rest of us??

Been asking than very questions for several years now, but nobody seems to want to answer. 

Personally I do not care for it on the high school level, Springfield where I played and to this day plays with Springfield kids almost exclusively with a few exceptions. We may not win state titles on the yearly, but I am proud of the program for always being in the converastion...

I judge private schools differently, they play in their own divisions come playoff time with teams that follow the same rules as it is all good. What I dont care for in that same respect is taking some public schools best players that hurts their chances to be competitive. I know this also falls on the kids and the parents of those kids. I got a letter from a private school in the 8th grade and had that opportunity, but I was proud to play for Springfield and was loyal to my teammates. I know everyone does not think like I do, that is just my feelings about it...

Edited by Kevin38
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It happens everywhere to some extent, but probably not as much as people want to believe, at least in East TN. As has been stated, there are kids who will "shop around", and I've known a couple of those. To me, that's not a big deal. Recruiting  does happen though. About 10 or so years ago, my coworker had a son who was a nice athlete at Volunteer. He was approached on a couple of occasions by a couple of different D-B coaches during his freshman and sophomore seasons. It was nothing terribly overt, but was more of a friendly "you should come play for us" type of thing. My coworker didn't get upset about it, but her son wanted to finish out his high school years with the kids he grew up with. I'd guess that most "recruiting" is probably like that, if you want to classify that as recruiting.

You want to see recruiting? You should come down to South Florida sometime. The "transfer" rules in Florida are extremely lax, or so I've been told. I can believe it. Down here it's the HAVES and the HAVE NOTS, and the have nots get picked apart during the off season by the haves. Just this year, our two city schools lost multiple starters. Westwood lost 4 starters to Vero Beach, including two guys who are committed to Indiana and FSU. All of those guys were impact players for Vero. They also lost a 4 star safety to IMG that is projected to go to UGA. Westwood, which is usually a solid playoff team finished the season 0-8. Central lost 5 starters and Okeechobee lost a 3 star WR/DB to another local school. Central and Okeechobee finished a combined 5-13. 

As a Maryville follower I've listened to many people over the years say if Maryville didn't recruit the county boy's Heritage and William Blount could compete. That's all Bull Crap. You have half a dozen or so kids that come here because most have that over baring agent dad involved that thinks by doing so it's an automatic ticket to college. It cost $2,400 to send a kid to Maryville and most can't do that if they wanted. Blount County Schools are their own worst enemy and have done more to run off their good kids then anything. The Heritage program is totally dead and I can't ever see that coming back again. Tim Hamontree is out there every Friday Night looking like somebody trying to blow life back into a cadaver. Eventually I see their program folding and who could ever imagine something like that in a school with 1,400 kids. William Blount is right on the heels of Heritage especially after their failure of moving into a a weaker group of schools only to come out the weakest. Talk about a pie in the face. They know what to do down there but won't do it and to make matters worse they infected their middle school team with the virus this year. You have two horrible run schools in Blount County playing each other for their only win and that will be the future from now on out until one cancels their program. If that happens maybe Shad can sign up Sunbright for a game and give them all the gate money to do so.

Not sure why parents do that.  Colleges are often put off by kids that move around for no reason except for the very top recruits, and kids usually have to sit out a long time for eligibility reasons when they change schools.  Can't imagine why people don't just sit still.  I think you get to many of these "coaches" that are outside the hs football world that rile things up to and make em worse.  They peddle lies that kids believe that often just aren't true. 

26 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

Not sure why parents do that.  Colleges are often put off by kids that move around for no reason except for the very top recruits, and kids usually have to sit out a long time for eligibility reasons when they change schools.  Can't imagine why people don't just sit still.  I think you get to many of these "coaches" that are outside the hs football world that rile things up to and make em worse.  They peddle lies that kids believe that often just aren't true. 

It's the "the grass is greener on the other side" theory.  It's been around to some extent in high school sports for a while, but now with the liberal transfer rules and the transfer portal that the NCAA has established it makes it even more legit for high school parents to pursue what they perceive as similar options.  

And there is so much pressure for high school coaches to win games, now, it's just become part of the everyday operations of many high school programs, too.  It's the culture that has been created.  

And I am not going to be a hypocrite. I've always said that I am all for choice in education for parents for their kids.  Sports, music, other opportunities are always going to be a factor.  I just wish that more parents would think academics first. The fact is that academics will get scholarships for young people far more often than athletics will.  So few have the God given physical talent to get to a high level of college sports, while many more have the ability to turn academics in to actual college scholar money.  

Priorities have gotten way out of whack in this day and time, and sadly I don't see that changing any time soon.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It's definitely happening in the private school world, especially in Middle TN.  You can read CPA coach Ingle Martin's comments from last week on his views of the current state of affairs in D2.  In my social media I keep seeing an ad from a Nashville area private school offering a free football camp to anyone over the Christmas break.  Maybe it's geared toward little kids who need to get out of the house and get some exercise.  Or maybe it's a way to get a bunch of talented players on campus to meet the coaches and get a tour of the facilities....

I will say, if you start running a program where you plop newcomers into the roster, and those kids take jobs from kids who have worked their way through the program for many years, ultimately you will do more harm than good to your program.  Kids will choose other sports besides football and the huge commitment that it requires.  It will really hurt your pipeline of homegrown kids.  JMO....

and Go Navy Beat Army!

Edited by Navy21412
  • Upvote 1

What is up with all these football training programs?   Is it like piano lessons for the musically inclined?  They seem to be (or some I should say) connected to a recruiting service company. Not talking about football camps high schools do in the summers These look more like gyms with personal football trainers for even middle school age???? Can any one explain.  Are parents paying a lot for these companies???