Recruiting... the good, the bad & the ugly

blazer1set

1 hour ago, AskingForAFriend said:

What is up with all these football training programs?   Is it like piano lessons for the musically inclined?  They seem to be (or some I should say) connected to a recruiting service company. Not talking about football camps high schools do in the summers These look more like gyms with personal football trainers for even middle school age???? Can any one explain.  Are parents paying a lot for these companies???

Man you gotta get these kids ready and give them the same advantages the other kids across the country are getting . thats who there up against for scholarships. We got a lotta spots in knox. Only a few that really care about these kids and there futures!!!!!

1 hour ago, AskingForAFriend said:

What is up with all these football training programs?   Is it like piano lessons for the musically inclined?  They seem to be (or some I should say) connected to a recruiting service company. Not talking about football camps high schools do in the summers These look more like gyms with personal football trainers for even middle school age???? Can any one explain.  Are parents paying a lot for these companies???

Yes. Parents pay thru the nose hoping that Little Johnnie, who has no hope of ever being a D1 prospect and get a full ride on to college, can somehow go from being an average athlete to being a 5 star.  And those who run the programs keep telling mama snd daddy what they want to hear so the checks keep coming. 

Parents spend literally 10s of thousands of dollars to see their kids end up in a small liberal arts school where they will maybe get athletic schollies totalling $5-10k and come out with six figures in student loans and a degree in an academic discipline that is totally useless in the real world. 

It's a real scam. 

But don't get me started .........

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HTV said:

Yes. Parents pay thru the nose hoping that Little Johnnie, who has no hope of ever being a D1 prospect and get a full ride on to college, can somehow go from being an average athlete to being a 5 star.  And those who run the programs keep telling mama snd daddy what they want to hear so the checks keep coming. 

Parents spend literally 10s of thousands of dollars to see their kids end up in a small liberal arts school where they will maybe get athletic schollies totalling $5-10k and come out with six figures in student loans and a degree in an academic discipline that is totally useless in the real world. 

It's a real scam. 

But don't get me started .........

Yes.  There are a few reputable facilities, but some are downright predatory.  I think it's fine if you want your kid to got to an established facility for fitness, but these fly by night guys are just in it for themself.  And it's hard to find a reputable place in more rural areas.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

Yes.  There are a few reputable facilities, but some are downright predatory.  I think it's fine if you want your kid to got to an established facility for fitness, but these fly by night guys are just in it for themself.  And it's hard to find a reputable place in more rural areas.

Old school. Push ups, door frame up bar, windsprints and chopping logs. Rocky 4 farm training scene for reference of how to use nature and farm equipment for top level training that can get you through 15 rounds of boxing Ivan Drago.  

2 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Old school. Push ups, door frame up bar, windsprints and chopping logs. Rocky 4 farm training scene for reference of how to use nature and farm equipment for top level training that can get you through 15 rounds of boxing Ivan Drago.  

that's about what it looks like sometimes for us.

• Like 1

Seems like a ton of these places. Think they ever give an honest assessment of the athletes ability?  Guess that wouldn’t get a check written right?   Do high school coaches promote these places?   I am so old we were told if you are good enough the schools will find you… given the very small percentage of kids that actually play college sports this could really be taking advantage of parents huh???? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

It's definitely happening in the private school world, especially in Middle TN.  You can read CPA coach Ingle Martin's comments from last week on his views of the current state of affairs in D2.  In my social media I keep seeing an ad from a Nashville area private school offering a free football camp to anyone over the Christmas break.  Maybe it's geared toward little kids who need to get out of the house and get some exercise.  Or maybe it's a way to get a bunch of talented players on campus to meet the coaches and get a tour of the facilities....

I will say, if you start running a program where you plop newcomers into the roster, and those kids take jobs from kids who have worked their way through the program for many years, ultimately you will do more harm than good to your program.  Kids will choose other sports besides football and the huge commitment that it requires.  It will really hurt your pipeline of homegrown kids.  JMO....

and Go Navy Beat Army!

I agree that it hurts the program and can take a long time to recover.

RWR!      ...and...

Go Army beat Navy!

I agree with you guys about the ridiculousness of it, BUT have you noticed the price of college these days? To spend 5 grand to find someone who might help your kid get a paid education that could be worth 20-30 times that isn’t that crazy. IMO the cost of college has fueled these dream makers.

1 hour ago, strongx said:

I agree with you guys about the ridiculousness of it, BUT have you noticed the price of college these days? To spend 5 grand to find someone who might help your kid get a paid education that could be worth 20-30 times that isn’t that crazy. IMO the cost of college has fueled these dream makers.

Cost of TN TECH can be about 7000/year with almost no additational scholies but lottery money.  It's hardly what you're making it out to be.