Recruiting... the good, the bad & the ugly

blazer1set

1 hour ago, JohnnyUtah said:

The last line sticks out, sometimes the parents want it more than the kids. If a kid wants it, they'll be their best recruiter. They will be their best trainer. 

Say it louder so the people in the back can hear you. 

The kids aren't the issues. It's the helicopter parents who get in the way far too often who are the problems.   Don't be a helicopter parent. You can guide them, but you can't make your children go down roads they don't want to take in life.  

1 hour ago, JohnnyUtah said:

The Top 1%-5% kids are not hard to find. I blame parents for either being naïve or not understanding their kids athletic ability. In today's world, you can be seen and have access at your fingertips.  I agree that coaches need to provide guidance in regards to setting expectations and helping out.  In todays world you can be seen with your phone, email and a twitter account. Not the case 20 plus years ago. 

The last line sticks out, sometimes the parents want it more than the kids. If a kid wants it, they'll be their best recruiter. They will be their best trainer. 

Spot on!  And most of the top 1-5%, your P5/D1 talent, have already been offered by freshman or sophomore year -  of course there are exceptions and misses.  Even the D3’s can find the money- or some money- if they really want a kid.

Think football is difficult, try college baseball, a much bigger “racket”. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JRB said:

Spot on!  And most of the top 1-5%, your P5/D1 talent, have already been offered by freshman or sophomore year -  of course there are exceptions and misses.  Even the D3’s can find the money- or some money- if they really want a kid.

Think football is difficult, try college baseball, a much bigger “racket”. 

Don't disagree, but without good academics the D3s are dead in the water to most kids.  

6 minutes ago, HTV said:

Don't disagree, but without good academics the D3s are dead in the water to most kids.  

True.  Division 3’s and the Ivy’s do not offer athletic scholarships per se, however they can provide financial aid based on need and merit.  In this regard, athletics do count for something with D3’s.

Edited by JRB
Typo

1 hour ago, JRB said:

True.  Division 3’s and the Ivy’s do not offer athletic scholarships per se, however they can provide financial aid based on need and merit.  In this regard, athletics do count for something with D3’s.

Understand that.  Went through it with my son back a few years ago.  

But still, academics provide far more money than sports or any other "merit factor" will.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, strongx said:

So where we at with recruiting… uh I mean roster additions? I heard the Christmas Day day garbage service lured at least one family from across the river. With the NIL opportunities opening up this Fall, there should be room for at least a couple more gooder students. 

Time for a haircut, may need to go by tomorrow for the scoop on who's coming to 825 Lawrence this fall.

4 hours ago, strongx said:

So where we at with recruiting… uh I mean roster additions? I heard the Christmas Day day garbage service lured at least one family from across the river. With the NIL opportunities opening up this Fall, there should be room for at least a couple more gooder students. 

Oh things will get going soon, especially once all jobs are filled. Wonder how much rent is at Ceader Springs apartments per month? Bet a certain someone who just came next door knows! 

5 hours ago, strongx said:

Interesting that some see noting questionable about a student/athlete moving from, say, the Carter to Central zone, but if a student/athlete moves from one zone to another zone it is "recruiting",  

Lots of holier than thou situational ethics practicing going on among some posters on this forum. 

Just saying. 

Edited by HTV
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HTV said:

Interesting that some see noting questionable about a student/athlete moving from, say, the Carter to Central zone, but if a student/athlete moves from one zone to another zone it is "recruiting",  

Lots of holier than thou situational ethics practicing going on among some posters on this forum. 

Just saying. 

Considering the person you quoted has no affiliation with Central and looking at your comment, all I can say is I thought I was “muted”. Lol, you just can’t resist can ya :roflol: