Catholic @ Powell - Rivalry Thursday

osunut2

I have no idea what to expect in this one. I hate saying that it's a meaningless game, especially this late in the season, but in some ways it probably is.

Catholic is a very solid team, but they've suffered drubbings against two of the state's best (McCallie and Lipscomb). While they haven't clinched a playoff berth yet, they play a huge game against MBA next week, and a win gets them in. A loss doesn't necessarily knock them out, but they'd need some help to clinch with a loss. If they are dinged up, I wonder how many of those kids are going to play this week.

Powell has already clinched the #1 seed in Region 3. They get LC next week, and they will likely play a 1 or 2-win Ooltewah team the following week, so it'll be interesting to see if Matt Lowe rolls the dice and plays everyone this week with the playoffs looming.

How does this one end up?

CORRECTION - All D2-AAA teams make the playoffs this season, so you can pretty much ignore that 2nd paragraph.

Edited by osunut2
D2-AAA playoff format change

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I have no idea what to expect in this one. I hate saying that it's a meaningless game, especially this late in the season, but in some ways it probably is.

Catholic is a very solid team, but they've suffered drubbings against two of the state's best (McCallie and Lipscomb). While they haven't clinched a playoff berth yet, they play a huge game against MBA next week, and a win gets them in. A loss doesn't necessarily knock them out, but they'd need some help to clinch with a loss. If they are dinged up, I wonder how many of those kids are going to play this week.

Powell has already clinched the #1 seed in Region 3. They get LC next week, and they will likely play a 1 or 2-win Ooltewah team the following week, so it'll be interesting to see if Matt Lowe rolls the dice and plays everyone this week with the playoffs looming.

How does this one end up?

All D2-AAA teams make the playoffs this year. This game is about $$$, I've heard Catholic paid an obscene amount of money to get this game. 

Also, the fact there are 3 teams in D2-AAA with zero wins that will get a playoff game is absolute insanity. The TSSAA and the BOC need to rethink what they are doing and why they exist.

Edited by OldandBusted

4 minutes ago, OldandBusted said:

All D2-AAA teams make the playoffs this year. This game is about $$$, I've heard Catholic paid an obscene amount of money to get this game.

Wow, I completely missed that memo on the D2-AAA playoffs. When was that announced?

Considering that no one in the Knox area wants to schedule Catholic anymore, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is true about the $$$.

12 minutes ago, OldandBusted said:

Also, the fact there are 3 teams in D2-AAA with zero wins that will get a playoff game is absolute insanity. The TSSAA and the BOC need to rethink what they are doing and why they exist.

This isn't true.  Doesn't make any sense.  Why would they want to pay to play someone that may beat them?

Just now, Knoxemdown said:

This isn't true.  Doesn't make any sense.  Why would they want to pay to play someone that may beat them?

I would love to get @HTV's take on this. Catholic has had all kinds of issues playing a 10-game schedule since they moved to D2. No one in Knox County wants anything to do with them, which is why they end up playing the likes of Chuckey-Doak and one of the small Greene county schools every year.

5 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I would love to get @HTV's take on this. Catholic has had all kinds of issues playing a 10-game schedule since they moved to D2. No one in Knox County wants anything to do with them, which is why they end up playing the likes of Chuckey-Doak and one of the small Greene county schools every year.

Any small/struggling program would take a whooping for an "obscene amount of money".  And those contracts are public record.  There would be a story on it in the local press if it were true.

14 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

It was scheduled when the last staff was still in charge. The same team that hammered West last year. If you go back through social media of some of the previous coaches, there was major shade being tossed between members of both staffs. Catholic dished out the cash to set it up. I've heard 10k plus gate. But it could be less or more.

Edited by OldandBusted

16 minutes ago, OldandBusted said:

It was scheduled when the last staff was still in charge. The same team that hammered West last year. If you go back through social media of some of the previous coaches, there was major shade being tossed between members of both staffs. Catholic dished out the cash to set it up. I've heard 10k plus gate. But it could be less or more.

I don't believe that number is true.  and Twitter beef still doesn't make the game or the fee make any sense.  

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Wow, I completely missed that memo on the D2-AAA playoffs. When was that announced?

Considering that no one in the Knox area wants to schedule Catholic anymore, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is true about the $$$.

D2-AAA playoff format changed this year.  

For years BA had difficulty in finding games to fill out their non-region schedule, which is why they traveled to Trinity Catholic and schools from FL and TX. 

2 hours ago, OldandBusted said:

Nope. Catholic didn't pay for the game, I've been told that the TV guy is paying both schools to make it happen.  He's apparently opened a big can of worms for himself as now other schools want  bigger payout to allow him to come and broadcadt.