Catholic @ Powell - Rivalry Thursday

osunut2

47 minutes ago, HTV said:

Fan of the privates?  

Interesting.  

What is your predicted score for this game? I know Catholic is well coached and Powell has the athletes to hang with anybody. Powell started slow on defense early in the season but seem to have it figured out by now. The Powell offense is hot when it is rolling but can be slow at times while the QB runs around. I haven't seen Catholic play but know they have gutted out some tough games and lost some tough ones as well. I would like to hear your thoughts, @HTV.

I would be remiss of me to not mention how great of a job Mark Packer and his co-announcer have done in the booth this year during the Thursday Night Rivalry games. They have chosen some excellent games to broadcast and I feel that they have done as good a job as I have ever seen with the broadcast and the color commentary. I think what they are doing is great for the sport in this area and great for the kids. I sat behind a group of parents at the West v Alcoa game and they talked about how much it meant to their boys for them to be on the broadcast that week (and it was a heckuva game, as well).

I think it is also important to note that prior to the Thursday Night Games, 5StarPreps, Diamond Clear, etc., you really did not see big-time recruits coming out of Knoxville like you do now. I think that the media exposure that these athletes get now have done wonders for their recruiting. This is just a by-product of the work that Packer, Smithey and Price have done for the kids in this area. I know they used to have the Comcast Game of the Week on Thursday back in the day with Packer but I think him doing it all on his own and putting Price in the booth with him has made this thing take off and explode. Just my two cents.

• Sad 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:23 AM, JRB said:

D2-AAA playoff format changed this year.  

For years BA had difficulty in finding games to fill out their non-region schedule, which is why they traveled to Trinity Catholic and schools from FL and TX. 

Never understood why KC joined D2-AAA.  33% (Memphis) of the division is 6 hours away.  41% (Nashville) of the division is 2+ hours away.  IMO D2-AA made more since.  I think Lipscomb Academy proved there is enough competition at that level for them.

I've seen KC in person and Powell on TV and clips.  If Nolen is Nolen....give me Powell in this one as I think the middle of the O-line can be pushed.  

4 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

Never understood why KC joined D2-AAA.  33% (Memphis) of the division is 6 hours away.  41% (Nashville) of the division is 2+ hours away.  IMO D2-AA made more since.  I think Lipscomb Academy proved there is enough competition at that level for them.

I've seen KC in person and Powell on TV and clips.  If Nolen is Nolen....give me Powell in this one as I think the middle of the O-line can be pushed.  

Here's the most memorable quote from the time:

"With most of the private schools moving into Division II, we realize we’re not wanted in Division I with the public schools," Principal Dickie Sompayrac said. "I just think we don’t desire to be in a division where we’re not wanted."

40 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

Catholic moved because they fundamentally had to (due to financial aid practices), and TSSAA put them in AAA because they were too big to play in AA.

8 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Catholic moved because they fundamentally had to (due to financial aid practices), and TSSAA put them in AAA because they were too big to play in AA.

Yeah, I think the there was a player at Grace that got busted and that really brought to light that most of the privates were doing the same thing.