Catholic @ Powell - Rivalry Thursday

osunut2

5 hours ago, Bluegreymom said:

I have a theory and it’s just that…that he doesn’t really mind it. I get the feeling that he likes that kind of rogue, play with excitement even if it boarders on too much and is willing to accept some penalties in exchange for what he feels it brings.  I feel like he thinks it’s the cost of high energy and the us against the world mentality. Again just my own opinion. 

Thats a good theory. I've known Matt most of my life. In football he has always gone 120 MPH, played with energy and passion. He played the game like a throwback and had an arrogance about him on the field,  you either loved him or hated him. That same player is now the coach. He plays to the emotions of this generation and hype of social media, he also plays the hype that they have a target on their back because they are not afraid to flaunt the talent and rankings and players switching schools. He's adopted the Miami Hurricanes getting off the plane in army fatigues. I believe he feels if a kid gets a penalty they'll make it up in a positive play during the game. Kids love to play for him and he gives it all to them, much like the player he was you either love the coach or you hate him. His players love him, his former teammates (majority) love what he's done. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Thats a good theory. I've known Matt most of my life. In football he has always gone 120 MPH, played with energy and passion. He played the game like a throwback and had an arrogance about him on the field,  you either loved him or hated him. That same player is now the coach. He plays to the emotions of this generation and hype of social media, he also plays the hype that they have a target on their back because they are not afraid to flaunt the talent and rankings and players switching schools. He's adopted the Miami Hurricanes getting off the plane in army fatigues. I believe he feels if a kid gets a penalty they'll make it up in a positive play during the game. Kids love to play for him and he gives it all to them, much like the player he was you either love the coach or you hate him. His players love him, his former teammates (majority) love what he's done. 

And that has resulted in zero meaningful wins for him in the playoffs without DyShawn playing A back for him, FWIW.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant about the penalties- that whatever they lose in penalties will be made up for in intensity, and buy in. And I get that to an extent. I feel like honestly If I were a coach, I would be like give me a mean ole defensive line that’s just dying to hit that QB on every play…or just a nasty ole O lineman,  Cade Mays style, and I’ll take the occasional 15 yard penalty that comes from that . But I think the catch is “occasional” because when it becomes a standard occurrence, it’s hard to win those tight games that way. I think Matt Lowe is a polarizing personality and I feel like most coaches tend to coach how they live. The same personality or style comes through.  I think he’s a big personality and that comes through. I also think his goal is to be a coach that players want to come play for and are excited to play for. Whether he compromises too many other things to be that guy is a good question. 

46 minutes ago, PostingGawd39 said:

4-8 in playoffs without Mobley. Sheesh

A very similar argument could be made about Clark Duncan without Rudy Stinson (RIP).

I would argue that Powell choked a LOT more under Duncan in the early 90s. Outside of the 91 clinic bowl run, they flamed out quite a few times, twice when Matt was a leader on the team (93 and 94). They weren't going to get past Cleveland in 93 or 94, but they had early exits in 4 of those seasons. And Clark never came close to having that talent again while at Powell.

Someone is going to have to enlighten me. How do you guys measure success for a program like Powell? They aren't a Maryville or Alcoa, and they've never had the talent pool of a Fulton or Central, so they aren't going to be in the state title game every year. A "good" season for Powell, historically, was a trip to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Granted, Matt's teams since Mobley's last two seasons have raised those expectations, but since Matt graduated from Powell, they've only been beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs three times(!); twice under Matt's watch, and the third time immediately after he left for TKA. In that same time frame, I can't think of many seasons when they should have gone farther. Probably 2010, had Mobley not gotten suspended, and last year. That's it. Heck, had they not forfeited all of those wins in 2018, they would have been dumped from the playoffs by the Catholic buzz saw in the 2nd round.

41 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

A very similar argument could be made about Clark Duncan without Rudy Stinson (RIP).

I would argue that Powell choked a LOT more under Duncan in the early 90s. Outside of the 91 clinic bowl run, they flamed out quite a few times, twice when Matt was a leader on the team (93 and 94). They weren't going to get past Cleveland in 93 or 94, but they had early exits in 4 of those seasons. And Clark never came close to having that talent again while at Powell.

Someone is going to have to enlighten me. How do you guys measure success for a program like Powell? They aren't a Maryville or Alcoa, and they've never had the talent pool of a Fulton or Central, so they aren't going to be in the state title game every year. A "good" season for Powell, historically, was a trip to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Granted, Matt's teams since Mobley's last two seasons have raised those expectations, but since Matt graduated from Powell, they've only been beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs three times(!); twice under Matt's watch, and the third time immediately after he left for TKA. In that same time frame, I can't think of many seasons when they should have gone farther. Probably 2010, had Mobley not gotten suspended, and last year. That's it. Heck, had they not forfeited all of those wins in 2018, they would have been dumped from the playoffs by the Catholic buzz saw in the 2nd round.

Those Powell teams under Clark with Littlejohn and then Lowe were the best teams to come through that side of Emory Road. 

can’t measure high expectations with mediocrity results. They have the talent to win it all, but history says they’ll get in their own way. That 1991 team ran into Brentwood Academy and the 1992 team got beat by Marion Co. in the semifinals something like 7-6. MC goes on to beat BA in the finals. They’ve been there, they just can’t finish. 

Maryville from late 90’s to now is the standard 

Riverdale in the mid 90’s 

Pearl Cohn in the mid/late 90’s

Cleveland in the early 90’s 

Brentwood Academy before private and up until Ensworth 

All have the history and achieved what Powell’s be chasing. Powell had the talent in the 90’s to hoist the trophy but couldn’t finish like those other teams and do it numerous times but couldn’t. 

Edited by JohnnyUtah
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Those Powell teams under Clark with Littlejohn and then Lowe were the best teams to come through that side of Emory Road. 

can’t measure high expectations with mediocrity results. They have the talent to win it all, but history says they’ll get in their own way. That 1991 team ran into Brentwood Academy and the 1992 team got beat by Marion Co. in the semifinals something like 7-6. MC goes on to beat BA in the finals. They’ve been there, they just can’t finish. 

Maryville from late 90’s to now is the standard 

Riverdale in the mid 90’s 

Pearl Cohn in the mid/late 90’s

Cleveland in the early 90’s 

Brentwood Academy before private and up until Ensworth 

All have the history and achieved what Powell’s be chasing. Powell had the talent in the 90’s to hoist the trophy but couldn’t finish like those other teams and do it numerous times but couldn’t. 

Great post. In hindsight, I'm not sure what the bigger shocker was to me - that 92 Marion County semifinal, or the 90 shellacking they took against GP in the 2nd round, after they'd crushed the Highlanders earlier in the season. Who knows if they would have gotten by Marion County, but they never gave themselves a chance to find out.

I think that's why 2011 was so gut-wretching. They came so so close. Outside of the comeback against Oak Ridge, they absolutely crushed everything in their way until they got to Cookeville. The same was true for Henry County. That game in the final was such a tremendous tilt. Both teams certainly earned their shot, and both deserved to win their first title. I remember thinking at the time it was such a shame that one of those teams had to lose. But that's the beauty (and agony) of sports.

Looking back, opportunities like that for programs like Powell just don't come around that often. And like you said, you have to finish when you get the chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Great post. In hindsight, I'm not sure what the bigger shocker was to me - that 92 Marion County semifinal, or the 90 shellacking they took against GP in the 2nd round, after they'd crushed the Highlanders earlier in the season. Who knows if they would have gotten by Marion County, but they never gave themselves a chance to find out.

I think that's why 2011 was so gut-wretching. They came so so close. Outside of the comeback against Oak Ridge, they absolutely crushed everything in their way until they got to Cookeville. The same was true for Henry County. That game in the final was such a tremendous tilt. Both teams certainly earned their shot, and both deserved to win their first title. I remember thinking at the time it was such a shame that one of those teams had to lose. But that's the beauty (and agony) of sports.

Looking back, opportunities like that for programs like Powell just don't come around that often. And like you said, you have to finish when you get the chance.

How did the Lee Smith Baron Huber teams end up? Been a minute since anyone has mentioned them.

3 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

How did the Lee Smith Baron Huber teams end up? Been a minute since anyone has mentioned them.

HTV would remember more specifics, but those two came over to Powell in 2004, if I remember correctly. That region had three really solid teams (Powell, Central, Maryville). They got to the 2nd round and lost a very close game to Maryville. Huber graduated and in Lee's senior season it was more of the same; the same top 3 in the region, and the same result in the playoffs. I don't think the loss to Maryville was nearly as close in 2005. Powell suffered the same losses in both seasons - regular season losses to Webb, Maryville, and Central, followed by 2nd round losses to Maryville. Those teams had some other solid guys like Jared McGaha and the Bruhin brothers, who all became FBS linemen, but they just never broke through against Maryville.

That was a huge frustration for teams like Powell and Central back then. No matter how well you played, you always had to get through that Maryville buzz saw in either the 2nd or 3rd round. Neither team was able to do it in the 2000s.

12 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Seriously underachieved, and I say that as a son who was a two way starter on that team.  Similar to now, not enough discip9lined play on the field and at times, off the field.  

Just now, HTV said:

Seriously underachieved, and I say that as a son who was a two way starter on that team.  Similar to now, not enough discip9lined play on the field and at times, off the field.  

Agreed. I still remember those losses to Webb in 2004 and 2005. On paper, those games should not have been close. But the difference in team discipline was incredible.