Catholic @ Powell - Rivalry Thursday

osunut2

Just now, osunut2 said:

HTV would remember more specifics, but those two came over to Powell in 2004, if I remember correctly. That region had three really solid teams (Powell, Central, Maryville). They got to the 2nd round and lost a very close game to Maryville. Huber graduated and in Lee's senior season it was more of the same; the same top 3 in the region, and the same result in the playoffs. I don't think the loss to Maryville was nearly as close in 2005. Powell suffered the same losses in both seasons - regular season losses to Webb, Maryville, and Central, followed by 2nd round losses to Maryville. Those teams had some other solid guys like Jared McGaha and the Bruhin brothers, who all became FBS linemen, but they just never broke through against Maryville.

That was a huge frustration for teams like Powell and Central back then. No matter how well you played, you always had to get through that Maryville buzz saw in either the 2nd or 3rd round. Neither team was able to do it in the 2000s.

Yeah.  Region 3-4A was really strong that that time.  If not for Maryville, Central, Powell, Halls, and West all had enough talent to have made deep runs or even win gold balls, but nobody could ever get through Maryville. 

And I want to further expand on my comments of earlier.  I was in no way blaming the kicker on last night.  I was simply saying that it's a real risk to try a long field goal there, and the worse thing that could have happened for Powell happened.  

The freshman kicker has done a great job this year, but for any kicker, unless one has Sebastian Jankoweskesqe talent, one has to kick the ball at a lower trajectory from 40 plus.  If you think about it, we see a lot more kicks from longer distances blocked than from shorter distances, and there is a reason.  

Just not worth the risk in that situation, IMO, and I think we saw a perfect example of why last night.  

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Great post. In hindsight, I'm not sure what the bigger shocker was to me - that 92 Marion County semifinal, or the 90 shellacking they took against GP in the 2nd round, after they'd crushed the Highlanders earlier in the season. Who knows if they would have gotten by Marion County, but they never gave themselves a chance to find out.

I think that's why 2011 was so gut-wretching. They came so so close. Outside of the comeback against Oak Ridge, they absolutely crushed everything in their way until they got to Cookeville. The same was true for Henry County. That game in the final was such a tremendous tilt. Both teams certainly earned their shot, and both deserved to win their first title. I remember thinking at the time it was such a shame that one of those teams had to lose. But that's the beauty (and agony) of sports.

Looking back, opportunities like that for programs like Powell just don't come around that often. And like you said, you have to finish when you get the chance.

Agree with almost everything you said but they didn't crush everything in their way until they got to Cookeville.  Camion Patrick almost willed LC to a victory against Powell at Powell in the Quarters losing by a TD.  LC knocked off the defending state champs in Columbia Central in the first round at Columbia Central that year.

I will say as a Coach on that LC team that Mobley looked like a Man among boys in Pregames with no pads on and knew we had to tackle him low and gang tackle him all night.

13 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Agree with almost everything you said but they didn't crush everything in their way until they got to Cookeville.  Camion Patrick almost willed LC to a victory against Powell at Powell in the Quarters losing by a TD.  LC knocked off the defending state champs in Columbia Central in the first round at Columbia Central that year.

I will say as a Coach on that LC team that Mobley looked like a Man among boys in Pregames with no pads on and knew we had to tackle him low and gang tackle him all night.

Patrick was a thorn in Powell's side during his career, both at Clinton and at Lenoir City.  In his freshman year at Clinton he came in and pretty much did everything he wanted against Powell, playing QB, RB, WR, DB, the saxophone, and selling popcorn.  It was pretty obvious that he was a special athlete.  

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Fair point. That game had the looks of another runaway, and LC made it a game in the second half, if I remember correctly. 

I thought Powelll made a big mistake going for that field goal, yeah, I get it would have made it a two score game, but the distance and the fact that the ball has to come off the kickers foot lower to reach that distance makes it a block risk and it was. It was 4th and 12, but the safe thing to do might have been to run the ball and get what you can get and play defense with a lot more field behind you than was left than the blocked kick left. Catholic still almost lost it, they seemed in the panic throw the ball mode when they got behind instead of running the ball and moving the sticks. 

• Like 1