Class 4A Region 1 Best Teams

hoopsfanatic

Got to watch East/Bearden game. Good game between 2 very good teams. Parrott took the air out of the ball and slowed game to a crawl and I dont think East was prepared for it. A good win for Bearden and a learning game for East. Havent seen Oak Ridge so I dont know how good they are. After last night I like Farragut as best team in Region 2 with Bearden and Oak Ridge right behind. Against good teams I think Bearden might struggle to get baskets, not knocking them just my impression. East just needs to adjust some things and still think them and DB are best in Region1. Science Hill had a good win at Alcoa and no one better sleep on them They have 2 studs that will keep them in every game. Friday game between DB/East  and SAt Science Hill/ Greeneville in Johnson City will be good games. 

On 12/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Right now these look like the favorites:

Region 1:

Morristown East

DB

Region 2:

Farragut

Oak Ridge

You cannot convince me that Bearden will not come out representing Region 2 as a sectional team. Unexpected loss to Farragut but we will see where each team stands in February. Bearden has been there and done that and I do not see that changing. They lose their top contributors every year but never seem to fall off.  Oak Ridge will take advantage of their horrible district again. As for Region 1, I think you're right about East. Their studs should get them there. Not sold on DB quite yet. 

I took a break after football season from the board, but am back now....

I see most of the D-B games as I cover the team on social media.  After reading through the thread, to answer a couple of questions.  D-B and Gate City boys at Gate City were postponed from a couple of weeks ago.  I was told that the new coach for GC didn't want to play D-B in his first career game.  That game at Gate City is now the regular season finale for D-B.

As for being "special".  I am one of the folks who has said that and I still believe it.  D-B trends over the last several seasons show that the Tribe plays their best basketball come tournament time.  The addition of Carter Metz from Cherokee will be a tremendous asset later in the season.

WaCoJaCo is 100% accurate about the Jefferson County game.  We were lucky to escape with that one.  Trailed the entire game except the final 15 seconds.  I feel like when Jeff County visits the Dome later in the year, this game won't be close and D-B wins big.

My thoughts are that D-B and the Toppers will split the regular season series. Local media has the Tribe running the table and going 8-0 in district play, but the Toppers are an outstanding ball club as well and deserve respect.

Here's the schedule for the remainder of the week:

Tuesday, December 14

• Greeneville at Dobyns-Bennett
  • Science Hill at Tennessee High
  • Sullivan East at Daniel Boone

Friday, December 17

• Gate City (VA) at Daniel Boone
  • Science Hill at Dobyns-Bennett

Saturday, December 18

• David Crockett at Twin Springs (VA)
  • Science Hill at Union (VA)

The big games of the week to keep an eye on is Greeneville at D-B tonight, Science Hill at D-B Friday and Science Hill at Union (defending 2A Virginia champs) Saturday.

8 hours ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

I took a break after football season from the board, but am back now....

I see most of the D-B games as I cover the team on social media.  After reading through the thread, to answer a couple of questions.  D-B and Gate City boys at Gate City were postponed from a couple of weeks ago.  I was told that the new coach for GC didn't want to play D-B in his first career game.  That game at Gate City is now the regular season finale for D-B.

As for being "special".  I am one of the folks who has said that and I still believe it.  D-B trends over the last several seasons show that the Tribe plays their best basketball come tournament time.  The addition of Carter Metz from Cherokee will be a tremendous asset later in the season.

WaCoJaCo is 100% accurate about the Jefferson County game.  We were lucky to escape with that one.  Trailed the entire game except the final 15 seconds.  I feel like when Jeff County visits the Dome later in the year, this game won't be close and D-B wins big.

My thoughts are that D-B and the Toppers will split the regular season series. Local media has the Tribe running the table and going 8-0 in district play, but the Toppers are an outstanding ball club as well and deserve respect.

Here's the schedule for the remainder of the week:

Tuesday, December 14

• Greeneville at Dobyns-Bennett
  • Science Hill at Tennessee High
  • Sullivan East at Daniel Boone

Friday, December 17

• Gate City (VA) at Daniel Boone
  • Science Hill at Dobyns-Bennett

Saturday, December 18

• David Crockett at Twin Springs (VA)
  • Science Hill at Union (VA)

The big games of the week to keep an eye on is Greeneville at D-B tonight, Science Hill at D-B Friday and Science Hill at Union (defending 2A Virginia champs) Saturday.

Although it's a plus to be playing your best at tournament time, that brings up a memory about that last coach at DB. I don't remember his exact words but he more or less said regular season games don't matter. I think he got down to 6 wins in his final season. I hope Poore isn't using this  same philosophy. The great Buck Van Huss believed in being ready in game one and winning every game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olbagabones83 said:

DB must have played their tales off last night against Greeneville. 

20 minutes ago, Stinger24 said:

Big win for them. They proved me wrong. They may be the real deal. 

Tribe had a 15 point lead early in the third quarter and then hit a cold spell from the middle of the third through midway through the fourth when Greeneville had completely erased the lead and actually led by one.  D-B then took complete control after a timeout and eventually pulled away over the final three minutes.  A bonus treat last night was watching the Gillespies.  Jonavan for D-B and Jakobi for Greeneville guarding each other and talking smack up and down the floor.  Good stuff.

The rematch at Hal Henard later in the season will be a tough one to win.  D-B seems to always have trouble when playing in that gym whether it be against Greeneville or someone else.  Plus District 2 refs are not very friendly to the Tribe.

The Toppers invade the Dome Friday night for the first conference game.  Wished conference games could wait until after the first of the year and also that the Hill wasn't the first conference game, but the schedule alterations Friday was the only time to get it in.

Edited by SWVAHavokFan

1 hour ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

Tribe had a 15 point lead early in the third quarter and then hit a cold spell from the middle of the third through midway through the fourth when Greeneville had completely erased the lead and actually led by one.  D-B then took complete control after a timeout and eventually pulled away over the final three minutes.  A bonus treat last night was watching the Gillespies.  Jonavan for D-B and Jakobi for Greeneville guarding each other and talking smack up and down the floor.  Good stuff.

The rematch at Hal Henard later in the season will be a tough one to win.  D-B seems to always have trouble when playing in that gym whether it be against Greeneville or someone else.  Plus District 2 refs are not very friendly to the Tribe.

The Toppers invade the Dome Friday night for the first conference game.  Wished conference games could wait until after the first of the year and also that the Hill wasn't the first conference game, but the schedule alterations Friday was the only time to get it in.

DB played good, but for sure can play better. Stump and Browder only got points late in the game and they were big points...they will be stronger in most games, but GVille was pretty tough inside. DB is a deep team, very deep with excellent guards and ball handling. Last night was the 1st home game of the season. 

Friday is Douglass Tigers vs Langley night, 3 boys games (Fresh, JV, Varsity) DB players love the Douglass uniforms! Come out and pack the Dome. Last time these teams met in the Dome, Cutlip was pissed when DB hit a 3 to double them up 60-30. I like seeing him upset!  Coach Poore seems to have their number.

Monday - Tuesday 20th, 21st at the Dome is the ALPHA INVITATIONAL with great teams coming in. 4 games each day/night, starting at 3:30 - 8PM. If you want to see big time basketball, don't wait for the Arby's Tournament.

MONDAY - GREENEVILLE VS LEXINGTON, SC / MO EAST VS CHAPMANVILLE, WV / BOONE VS A.C. REYNOLDS NC / DB VS SOUTH ATLANTA, GA

TUESDAY - CLINTON VS SOUTH ATLANTA / MO EAST VS A.C. REYNOLDS / GREENEVILLE VS CHAPMANVILLE / DB VS LEXINGTON, SC