Class 4A Region 1 Best Teams

hoopsfanatic

1 hour ago, BP4138 said:

When is the last Time DB won a state Championship in basketball. By this logic DB hasn't had a decent basketball coach in 50 years including Van Huss. Buck never won a state championship at DB and he had way more talent than anybody besides Shipley or anybody else has ever had their. You go at the football coach all the time as well. Same thing their then every coach has stunk it up at DB. The real issue here and nobody wants to admit it is that Kingsport doesn't have all the best athletes like it did 40 years ago and now instead of getting all the transfers they actually lose them. Your feeder schools don't dominate anybody and your Rec programs are weak. You have all this travel ball in various sports that is accomplishing nothing because very few of the coaches know the game. As for the facilities I agree 100% that nobody has anywhere near the facilities that DB has they are amazing. If facilities win you championships then UT should be dominating and the Cowboys should be in the Super Bowl all the time. So its time to either except reality that its not always the coaches fault that you have other deciding factors in your success or fix those issues. 

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. Other than trying to say our coaches are fine but we don't have the athletes. I just think you're 100% wrong there. Coaching makes the athletes. You're right about the feeder programs, very weak and only a few of those coach's know what their doing. Good coaching starts in the feeder programs that should be connected to the high school varsity coaches. Thats how they do it in football at Maryville. Everybody used to say the talen just wasn't there in upper east tn. Then for the past 10 years Greeneville, then Elizabethton installed programs simular to Maryville's. Now I think the two schools have 6 or 7 state championships between them just in the past 10 years. It's coaching. It's always coaching. It will always be coaching. And coaching doesn't start in the 10 grade. My comment on the facilities was talking about it should be a big draw for really good coaches across the country. Not that the facilities would win any games. As for Buck Van Huss, he is probably in the top 5 all time best high school coaches. True he didn't win a championship at DB but during his time there DB made more state tournament appearances than any other school. And nobody wanted to go against him at the tournament. You're correct about DB losing athletes now. But that also proves what I'm saying. Poore coaching in Kingsport. From the ground up. 

You make some very good points that makes sense as well. I however honestly don't think that their are the athletes at DB that once was. You have had very few D1 players in football and basketball the last 10 years. Then even some of those transferred out which never used to happen to DB. As for Greeneville they are dominating in multiple sports and one of the main reasons is they are now playing where they belong. Look at the 80's and 90's at the D1 athletes they had and they didn't win the state. Same for Betsy they are no longer playing the same schools they once did. The sport in Kingsport that's put out the most D1 players in last 10 years is baseball and they haven't won a title yet. Look at the Feeder programs and other youth options in Maryville, Greeneville, Elizabethton and right now they are just better. Greeneville and Betsy also hasn't lost kids to other schools they still receive plenty of help transferring in like DB used to get. Greeneville is isolated and its 35 miles to the closest school that would be worth going to. Van Huss, Ted Wilson and Mike Ritz all won state championships at other schools. Two of them came from County schools with Wilson coming from Maryville. They never won it at DB. The talent level just isn't their. Their isn't a Bruce Transbarger, Skip Brown up their anymore and they haven't had one close to them since. They have had some good football players their lord you had 3 NFL players which is awesome but still not enough Jimmy and Joe's to go along with it. In baseball they always have a D1 player but can't get over the hump. Girls basketball Whitson was fantastic but not another D1 in how long? The bottom line is development and I think you can agree on that. That however can't start at the HS it must start much earlier and anybody in Kingsport needs to take a step back nd look at that. A couple of years in a row the only football game your feeder schools won was when they played each other. You are an awesome poster on coach t and are extremely knowledgeable that why I enjoy your posts.

1 hour ago, BP4138 said:

You make some very good points that makes sense as well. I however honestly don't think that their are the athletes at DB that once was. You have had very few D1 players in football and basketball the last 10 years. Then even some of those transferred out which never used to happen to DB. As for Greeneville they are dominating in multiple sports and one of the main reasons is they are now playing where they belong. Look at the 80's and 90's at the D1 athletes they had and they didn't win the state. Same for Betsy they are no longer playing the same schools they once did. The sport in Kingsport that's put out the most D1 players in last 10 years is baseball and they haven't won a title yet. Look at the Feeder programs and other youth options in Maryville, Greeneville, Elizabethton and right now they are just better. Greeneville and Betsy also hasn't lost kids to other schools they still receive plenty of help transferring in like DB used to get. Greeneville is isolated and its 35 miles to the closest school that would be worth going to. Van Huss, Ted Wilson and Mike Ritz all won state championships at other schools. Two of them came from County schools with Wilson coming from Maryville. They never won it at DB. The talent level just isn't their. Their isn't a Bruce Transbarger, Skip Brown up their anymore and they haven't had one close to them since. They have had some good football players their lord you had 3 NFL players which is awesome but still not enough Jimmy and Joe's to go along with it. In baseball they always have a D1 player but can't get over the hump. Girls basketball Whitson was fantastic but not another D1 in how long? The bottom line is development and I think you can agree on that. That however can't start at the HS it must start much earlier and anybody in Kingsport needs to take a step back nd look at that. A couple of years in a row the only football game your feeder schools won was when they played each other. You are an awesome poster on coach t and are extremely knowledgeable that why I enjoy your posts.

We agree. It really comes down to the youth programs and feeder schools. I posted on here back in late summer about driving by and seeing the Sevier Middle School football team out on the practice field last year. I thought wow, their numbers are way up. Looked like they had three times the amount I'd seen in the past. I actually turned around to get another look. They looked big and athletic for a middle school. I thought man, that group will be special when they get up to DB. Sevier won "1" game. 

27 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

We agree. It really comes down to the youth programs and feeder schools. I posted on here back in late summer about driving by and seeing the Sevier Middle School football team out on the practice field last year. I thought wow, their numbers are way up. Looked like they had three times the amount I'd seen in the past. I actually turned around to get another look. They looked big and athletic for a middle school. I thought man, that group will be special when they get up to DB. Sevier won "1" game. 

I do like what your relatively new wrestling coach is doing. I think the Indians are on the right track to become a traditional state power.

• Like 1

Regionals set who you got?

science hill/ west  ..........        science hill vs sevier  sevier in minor upset

sevier /daniel boone...........    sevier 

motown east/ west ridge         motown east  east over db                east /sevier   

db/jeff co                                    db                                                                                   

motown east  wins region  sevier runner up

I changed my mind a little think Sevier will give Science Hill fits but was impressed with way Cutlip got his players to buy in against DB... will be a tight game

Think East still not playing as good as they were but honestly watched Db/Science Hill and was amazed at how Db looked like a team of individuals and especially how they played that last 4 minutes. Very bad basketball on their part, in my opinion and they still should have won.  This game can go either way, but think East wins as this is the 1st time they have truly been on a neutral court since Ilic/Simpson have been in HS in tourney. Still hate these 2 teams are meeting in Semis 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:55 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

That is because of years of disregard. The coaches at the middle school were not really supported so they did not care about the team. 

The team has talent but they don't have any help or for that matter enough coaches. 

The one they hired this past year is good, but it takes awhile to get a new system in place. They high school needs to step in and help them. 

Another thing I have been told is the kids don't want to work and that is a problem right now. 

The wrestling program at DB is trending upward, but everything else is doing the opposite right now.  

6 hours ago, hoopsfanatic said:

Regionals set who you got?

science hill/ west  ..........        science hill vs sevier  sevier in minor upset

sevier /daniel boone...........    sevier 

motown east/ west ridge         motown east  east over db                east /sevier   

db/jeff co                                    db                                                                                   

motown east  wins region  sevier runner up

I changed my mind a little think Sevier will give Science Hill fits but was impressed with way Cutlip got his players to buy in against DB... will be a tight game

Think East still not playing as good as they were but honestly watched Db/Science Hill and was amazed at how Db looked like a team of individuals and especially how they played that last 4 minutes. Very bad basketball on their part, in my opinion and they still should have won.  This game can go either way, but think East wins as this is the 1st time they have truly been on a neutral court since Ilic/Simpson have been in HS in tourney. Still hate these 2 teams are meeting in Semis 

That final game pick looks about right. The Science Hill /Sevier Co. game could go either way. And I'm wondering if DB gets by Jeff. Co.  That situation is a lot like the Science Hill one. DB only beat them by 1 the first game then by over 30 the second game. Much like Science Hill. So it's very possible. I wonder if there wasn't a little turmoil in the DB camp last week that effected the team? Just sayin. 

I'm not going to make predictions.  I'll just say that Saturday night, I hope was a huge wake up call for the Tribe. The last few years in the Region tournament, it seems as if they have the harder road through it.  Maybe they like having their backs up against the wall.  Who knows? Before last Saturday, I would've bet the house that the D-B boys would outlast the girls, now that's up in the air. 

D-B girls got Jeff County in the first round who they swept in the regular season, then most likely would play Science Hill in the Semis who they split with in the regular season. 

Don't sleep on West Ridge either. They played respectable against East at their place.  I can't remember if they played at East in the regular season or not, but Dyer is a great leader and the Wolves have bought in under him.  

9 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

I'm not going to make predictions.  I'll just say that Saturday night, I hope was a huge wake up call for the Tribe. The last few years in the Region tournament, it seems as if they have the harder road through it.  Maybe they like having their backs up against the wall.  Who knows? Before last Saturday, I would've bet the house that the D-B boys would outlast the girls, now that's up in the air. 

D-B girls got Jeff County in the first round who they swept in the regular season, then most likely would play Science Hill in the Semis who they split with in the regular season. 

Don't sleep on West Ridge either. They played respectable against East at their place.  I can't remember if they played at East in the regular season or not, but Dyer is a great leader and the Wolves have bought in under him.  

Might not be time for the Tribe to get the baseballs out just yet but they should look to see where they are. 

• Like 1

No upsets in the first round, although the Tribe had me worried at the half tonight... Jeff County was staying around down by only around 10 or so at the half, then we woke up the second half and blew the Patriots out of the gym winning by 55.  The semifinals in Dandridge will be awesome come Tuesday night.

Once again, not going to make predictions, will just say I am looking forward to seeing four great basketball teams in three days time.

I agree, tomorrow night will be a great night of basketball between 4 very good teams, with any of them capable of winning the region. Heard Db got off to a slow start, they will be ready tomorrow. East must have been crazy with their shooting Sat night. West Ridge is a team that I just couldn't figure out. They shouldn't have lost to anybody by 25+ points in the region. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:39 PM, TribalEmpire said:

No upsets in the first round, although the Tribe had me worried at the half tonight... Jeff County was staying around down by only around 10 or so at the half, then we woke up the second half and blew the Patriots out of the gym winning by 55.  The semifinals in Dandridge will be awesome come Tuesday night.

Once again, not going to make predictions, will just say I am looking forward to seeing four great basketball teams in three days time.

Should be a dandy, a classic...and somebody's season is over. This will be an all out fight for 4 quarters. Both teams have talent and both have seniors who have been here before.