Class 4A Region 1 Best Teams

hoopsfanatic

1 hour ago, LINEDAD said:

GAME 1 - We get to see Clinton Dragons in person. Ranked #1 AAA - could they beat Greeneville? I would be shocked

GAME 2 - MO EAST vs A.C. REYNOLDS  - May be the best game today... prob will be

GAME 3 - GREENEVILLE VS CHAPMANVILLE,WV

GAME 4 - DB VS LEXINGTON SC

Nah, East will annihilate ACR.  It was all ACR could do to beat Boone last night and Boone is not good.  Game of the day will be Greeneville and Chapmanville.

It was success for all of the best of the local teams...DB, Greeneville and Morristown East all won 2 games in the Alpha Invitational. Clinton did get the win yesterday over South Atlanta, but in watching that game, it is apparent that Clinton is no match for Greeneville if and when they play. 

DB get Gate City at the Dome on Thursday then the NXT HOOPFEST in Nashville after Christmas. That will be tough games against great teams guaranteed. Jan 7 at West Ridge get things going after 2022 gets going.

Edited by LINEDAD

• 2 weeks later...

What's your thoughts  after 1st half of season

Region 1

1)Morristown East

2)DB

3)Science Hill

Region 2

1)Bearden

2)Oak ridge

3)Farragut/Karns

Have not seen Karns play will learn alot next Tues when they play Oak Ridge

DB or Science Hill will get an easy route to the substate if things play out as they should. East is by far the best team in their district. 

• Upvote 1

Playing through these holiday tournaments and against good competition I think we can now see pretty much what everybody's got.  I still have my doubts about Science Hill and DB. Both are good teams but just don't have the killer instinct. One or both could be ripe for upsets come tournament time. 

For those that watch HS Basketball, this is great season in Region 1. 

I can't wait for the rematch at Greeneville for DB and to play Mo-East again... which won't be until the Region Tournament. 

Mo-East beat DB in an early Dec. game that was sloppy at best. No excuses for DB, they got beat but was able to take it into overtime and with 1 rebound, could have had the win anyway, playing poorly. 

Most talented area teams in a long time. 

Greeneville has 2 great players and a bunch of tough guys that play in the system. State Champs in AAA if no injuries to Gillespie of Satterfield. 

Mo-East has 2 great players, and 1 that should be but just isn't. 

SH has 2 really good players and that is what they have...2 really good players. Weak supporting starters and benchless bench. 

DB has 6 players that can lead the team in scoring on any given night. Typically 4 or 5 are in double figures every night. Depth, experience, talent and coaching...DB is #1 in District 1 without a doubt.   

Should be a great 2nd half of the season. Come out and watch the teams play and see for yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We're going to get everyone's best shot night in and night out.  Are we the clear best team in the district?  Yes.  Will we finish the district season unblemished?  I don't think so.  The game at Crockett in two weeks worries me simply because we always play poor in that gym for whatever reason.  But, I think the Hill gets us in Johnson City.  They're hard to beat in that gym with the loud student section.

At worse, could be a tie for 1-2 which leads to the ridiculous coin flip to see who gets top seed for district tournament.  At least that doesn't matter much this season as with only 5 teams, both 1 and 2 will get a bye whereas in years past, the loser of the coin toss would have to play a 7 seed in round one.

Watched the DB/EAST game and agree was not a very well played game. One where either team could have won. Still think they are 2 best teams in this region. just curious you say East has 2 great players and one that should be. Simpson & Ilic are both D! players and Cloninger will play college ball somewhere.

Science Hill does have 2 really good ones in Cutlip & Livingston

Depth wise DB has the  most complete team and any of those 6 or 7 could lead them in scoring, but also seems like 2 or 3 are good or no shows stats wise alot of the time. They are really good when Browder and Malakai both play well, feel like they should get more touches than they do.

2 hours ago, hoopsfanatic said:

Watched the DB/EAST game and agree was not a very well played game. One where either team could have won. Still think they are 2 best teams in this region. just curious you say East has 2 great players and one that should be. Simpson & Ilic are both D! players and Cloninger will play college ball somewhere.

Science Hill does have 2 really good ones in Cutlip & Livingston

Depth wise DB has the  most complete team and any of those 6 or 7 could lead them in scoring, but also seems like 2 or 3 are good or no shows stats wise alot of the time. They are really good when Browder and Malakai both play well, feel like they should get more touches than they do.

Thats the only problem with having 6 or 7 that "could" lead the team in scoring. You spend half the game figuring out which of those 6 or 7 have the hot hand. If 5 of those players have the hot hand DB is going to be hard to beat by anybody up here. DB just lacks that one dominate player. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:16 PM, SWVAHavokFan said:

Does the old rule still apply that if schools are closed for inclement weather, then sporting events for that day are postponed as well?

Sullivan County schools are closed tomorrow, so I am assuming this means the West Ridge and D-B game tomorrow night is off also?

I guess not, they played. Concerning that game, now that West Ridge is sitting at the "Big Boys Table", will the Tri-Cities sports media ever let go of the poor little school vs. big bad school thing? Reading articles today you'd think the West Ridge players had never played basketball until this year. Therefore losing by only 12 points was actually a win for them. Even though some of these players were not all on the same team last year, by this point in the season and after playing 18 games I just don't see any excuses. West Ridge is a good team and DB is a good team. DB just got the best of them last night. But even the West Ridge coach talked like they just played the number one team in the nation and almost beat them. It was the same deal through the entire football season and I'm sure baseball will be the same. How many years will we have to listen to this?