Bearden open

HTV

Just now, adalum96 said:

Not sure who this question is posed to but I’ll take the bait. 

I’m honestly not sure. I didn’t know he was ever at CAK. 

Yes I understand he was the OC for Mozingo. They struggled mightily from looking at the scores. I was wondering if anyone had the story on how he got there, what happened and why he left. I always thought a place like that would be a good fit for him or a Kevin Lane type.

8 hours ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Yes I understand he was the OC for Mozingo. They struggled mightily from looking at the scores. I was wondering if anyone had the story on how he got there, what happened and why he left. I always thought a place like that would be a good fit for him or a Kevin Lane type.

Yes he was, he was stirring up a lot of bad feelings from people in that community and was evidently openingly cheating. How legitimate that is, I do not know. I do know  It got to the point where the powers that be/admin had to ask for him to not come back immediately upon the end of the season. 2 1/2 later BHS hires him to run their whole program. 

Edited by PostingGawd39

8 hours ago, FHSAlum12 said:

What happened at CAK in 2018 when Jones was OC?

I can't say specifically what was going on behind the scenes, but that offense was an absolute train wreck. Especially compared to prior seasons at CAK. He was in over his head.

Edited by osunut2

38 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I can't say specifically what was going on behind the scenes, but that offense was an absolute train wreck. Especially compared to prior seasons at CAK. He was in over his head.

did CAK have a complete overhaul because those defensive numbers are homecoming game numbers. 6 games with 44 points or more given up. 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

did CAK have a complete overhaul because those defensive numbers are homecoming game numbers. 6 games with 44 points or more given up. 

They were barely two years removed from Rusty Bradley, so that was definitely a factor. I don't know exactly what Mozingo did to fix things, but they've obviously improved a ton since 2017 and 2018.

Mozingo had a pretty good team in 2016 (his first year after Rusty left), primarily because of their offense; that team gave up a lot of points, but they were able to outscore everyone not named Alcoa (and Elizabethton). They took a major step back the following year, and it was largely because the offense wasn't any good. They definitely had some roster turnover, but there's no question that JJ was a big part of that collapse. From what I remember, other than the two wins they had (against two bad teams), I don't remember any of their losses being very competitive. Every single loss was by at least 3 scores.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

They were barely two years removed from Rusty Bradley, so that was definitely a factor. I don't know exactly what Mozingo did to fix things, but they've obviously improved a ton since 2017 and 2018.

Mozingo had a pretty good team in 2016 (his first year after Rusty left), primarily because of their offense; that team gave up a lot of points, but they were able to outscore everyone not named Alcoa (and Elizabethton). They took a major step back the following year, and it was largely because the offense wasn't any good. They definitely had some roster turnover, but there's no question that JJ was a big part of that collapse. From what I remember, other than the two wins they had (against two bad teams), I don't remember any of their losses being very competitive. Every single loss was by at least 3 scores.

What about the last few seasons at Powell(I’m guessing he went there after 2018)? It seems like he has had pretty good success there, they’ve been an offensive powerhouse. 

19 minutes ago, adalum96 said:

Did I miss the announcement? I’ve not seen anything official yet. Just curious because the person I was talking too has kinda went radio silent. Guessing maybe an announcement today? Since that was their original timeline. 

No announcement yet. He has let a lot of folks know though. How will the Powell players take this news? Was he well liked by the players? 

10 minutes ago, adalum96 said:

What about the last few seasons at Powell(I’m guessing he went there after 2018)? It seems like he has had pretty good success there, they’ve been an offensive powerhouse. 

Not taking anything away from Josh, but we all know who the real offensive mastermind is at Powell. The guy in the big seat. I think that Derek Dooley could take those boys at Powell and be an "offensive powerhouse." All scheme looks good when you have superior talent.

6 minutes ago, adalum96 said:

From what I remember, he took the CAK job in part because his son was in middle school there. He came to Powell in 2019. I believe he became the OC last season, but I could be wrong about that. If my memory serves, Lowe didn't give up offensive play-calling duties until then.

No question that Powell's offense has been pretty special, and JJ deserves some credit for that. But Lowe is ultimately the straw that stirs the drink. Plus, when you have that boatload of raw offensive talent, it would take a LOT to mess things up.

29 minutes ago, adalum96 said:

Did I miss the announcement? I’ve not seen anything official yet. Just curious because the person I was talking too has kinda went radio silent. Guessing maybe an announcement today? Since that was their original timeline. 

*Bugs Bunny Voice* what’s up Doc?:roflol: