Homerun Hires

MidTennMilitia

4 hours ago, MidTennMilitia said:

Name an assistant coach that would be an absolute steal for someone to hire. 

Current openings in Tennessee

Wartburg

Bearden

Oliver Springs

Lincoln County

Criteria for your choice:

Former Head Coach

Understands what it takes to WIN!

Coaching experience in a consistent winning program

Under the age of 40

Ready...Set...GO!

If they're a former HC under the age of 40, there's a reason for that

• Upvote 1

I’m gonna throw the former HC at HVA in west Knoxville out there into this mix as a Homerun Hire for anyone that could get him back in the HC role.  He started the program at HvA back when that school first opened in 2008?? Or something like that? He left the HC position at HvA at the end of the 2018 season &  took an assistant job at science hill to be closer to family while his kids were a bit younger. Now that his kids are all a bit older I bet he has the HC fever again, and he would be a STEAL if someone got him back in the HC position. His knowledge of the game and energy on the sideline would certainly make a top 5 list in 6A football. He is an old school coach but he knows what it takes to win games.  

12 hours ago, Digger20 said:

I’m gonna throw the former HC at HVA in west Knoxville out there into this mix as a Homerun Hire for anyone that could get him back in the HC role.  He started the program at HvA back when that school first opened in 2008?? Or something like that? He left the HC position at HvA at the end of the 2018 season &  took an assistant job at science hill to be closer to family while his kids were a bit younger. Now that his kids are all a bit older I bet he has the HC fever again, and he would be a STEAL if someone got him back in the HC position. His knowledge of the game and energy on the sideline would certainly make a top 5 list in 6A football. He is an old school coach but he knows what it takes to win games.  

Wes was a perfect guy to start a program from scratch.  If he wanted to be a head coach he still would be.  

He moved to Johnson City so his wife could be closer to family that needed her help.  Sometimes there are things other than football that influence a decision.  

First- Do schools really want to win or is it lip service?  I've watched high school football in my area for over 50 years and have watched good programs and bad ones. Good ones don't accept losing and figure out a way/ ways to fix issues. Bad ones just use excuses 1) no athletes 2) can't pay what .. pay 3) kids are different 4) can't get good assistants. 
if you want to win 1) find winning program and recruit their coach or ask who they have 2) think outside the box - don't be cookie cutter 3) be brave and supportive in hiring 4) give contract and expectations just like colleges

yes it can be done, yes kids deserve it, excuses or answers

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:37 AM, HTV said:

Wes was a perfect guy to start a program from scratch.  If he wanted to be a head coach he still would be.  

He moved to Johnson City so his wife could be closer to family that needed her help.  Sometimes there are things other than football that influence a decision.  

Isn't he from Upper East Tennessee as well?  Newport or Greeneville, something like that?

On 11/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, 5AfballFan said:

If they are a former head coach and now an assistant coach there is likely a reason. Surely there are a few exceptions but they’d be few and far between. 

I understand what you are saying.  My best friend is a current head coach at the High School level.  I know the daily issues that he deals with, and the amount of time away from his family.  I could see how it wears on people.  Many of the bleacher coaches and even the regular teachers inside of the school have no idea what it really takes to lead a program.  Nobody takes a job to go and suck at it.  Some know how to improve a program, some find out the hard way.  Many get in way over their heads.  I feel like the hardest thing would be to find jobs for guys that are willing to put in the time to make a program successful.  Also, you can't just hire any random person to coach.  My friend has vented to me many times that teaching jobs are often filled with individuals who have no intention on coaching.  Then, sometimes those folks are asked to coach by the admin, not a good situation.

Edited by MidTennMilitia
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 5:24 AM, Cashmeout said:

First- Do schools really want to win or is it lip service?  I've watched high school football in my area for over 50 years and have watched good programs and bad ones. Good ones don't accept losing and figure out a way/ ways to fix issues. Bad ones just use excuses 1) no athletes 2) can't pay what .. pay 3) kids are different 4) can't get good assistants. 
if you want to win 1) find winning program and recruit their coach or ask who they have 2) think outside the box - don't be cookie cutter 3) be brave and supportive in hiring 4) give contract and expectations just like colleges

yes it can be done, yes kids deserve it, excuses or answers

You are 100% on everything.  These people that continue to make excuses while having a losing program over the past 25+ years would be immediately terminated if they were in private business.  Only in government and education do people tolerate and reward losing results.

15 minutes ago, MidTennMilitia said:

Isn't he from Upper East Tennessee as well?  Newport or Greeneville, something like that?

Jones would be a great hire for any program! Man loves the game and the kids. He is from Greeneville. Started his coaching career at Shelbyville, first HC job was Cocke Co. I believe back in 1999/2000.

2 hours ago, cbg said:

You are 100% on everything.  These people that continue to make excuses while having a losing program over the past 25+ years would be immediately terminated if they were in private business.  Only in government and education do people tolerate and reward losing results.

I was with you until “only in government and education do people tolerate and reward losing results.” 

Have you ever been a teacher? Specifically, have you ever taught in a low performing school? My guess is absolutely not.