5A Playoffs - Region 3 vs. Region 4

osunut2

44 minutes ago, 57eagle said:

I didn't see anything on either side worth throwing a flag over. Even if someone said something, with as quickly as they separated how much could they have said? Just my opinion. I'm not a fan of either team.

There are some key words that if you say/shout on the field at an opposing player/official and an official hears it, the flag is going to come out 100% of the time. I'm wondering if that may have happened. As a Powell fan, I've seen that a lot :D

7 hours ago, 57eagle said:

I didn't see anything on either side worth throwing a flag over. Even if someone said something, with as quickly as they separated how much could they have said? Just my opinion. I'm not a fan of either team.

I agree with what osunut2 and HTV are saying. Although, their arguement sounds like a George Carlin's 7 Dirty Words you can't say on TV bit. :roflol:

I also agree with those saying no reason for the penality call. To be fair to the Ref, we didn't hear what might not or what was said. It was a solid hit for sure and the runner didn't like it but the players seemed to handle it themselves,

The next play it looks like the player tried rip the QB's head off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I agree with what osunut2 and HTV are saying. Although, their arguement sounds like a George Carlin's 7 Dirty Words you can't say on TV bit. :roflol:

I also agree with those saying no reason for the penality call. To be fair to the Ref, we didn't hear what might not or what was said. It was a solid hit for sure and the runner didn't like it but the players seemed to handle it themselves,

The next play it looks like the player tried rip the QB's head off.

The question I would ask is why would neutral officials be making up something to penalize one team or the other?  

That just doesn't make sense and it reeks of sour grapes.   

Edited by HTV

To me, this McMinn County-Powell game has upset potential written all over it. In part because McMinn County is no slouch, but also because Powell has struggled with their offensive consistency all year; with Collins and Redmond out, that also takes some of the sting out of their passing game. Powell took care of their business last week, but Ooltewah was pretty terrible this year. It'll be interesting to see which Powell team shows up, because I think a lot depends on whether or not they are looking ahead.

Hopefully the loss to WV last year hasn't been lost on this team.

28 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

To me, this McMinn County-Powell game has upset potential written all over it. In part because McMinn County is no slouch, but also because Powell has struggled with their offensive consistency all year; with Collins and Redmond out, that also takes some of the sting out of their passing game. Powell took care of their business last week, but Ooltewah was pretty terrible this year. It'll be interesting to see which Powell team shows up, because I think a lot depends on whether or not they are looking ahead.

I know Collins had the injury, which is a big enough hit to Powell... But what happened to Redmond?  Was there another injury or was it something at school?  If the latter you don't have to go into specifics, I know the rumor mill on that one has been off an on for most of the season.

13 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

I know Collins had the injury, which is a big enough hit to Powell... But what happened to Redmond?  Was there another injury or was it something at school?  If the latter you don't have to go into specifics, I know the rumor mill on that one has been off an on for most of the season.

It's no secret.  An off field issue kept him out of the Lenoir City game.  

He did play Friday against Ooltewah, but only in the first half just like most of the starters/significant contributors. 

And Nut is correct.  This game has all kinds of upset potential, IMO.  McMinn County is a good enough football team to win if Powell doesn't play well.   

Wow, I would have liked to have seen about 3-5 more seconds of that video to see if there was more interaction between the 2 after what the video shows. While it’s true there are certain key words that are automatic flags, I don’t know that there was any official really close enough in that brief window of interaction that could have clearly heard anything said between the 2 - unless there is more (later) interaction than the posted video shows. Had things already been chippy leading up to that? Had there already been warnings or other flags issued?

As a playoff game, the crew would not have been local and I doubt it was a “cheating ref” but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bad or questionable call (iffy at best). It was one of those situations where it appears the call did effect the outcome of the game - but 90% of these officials don’t want to have to make a call like that. That being said…. Can’t really say what the official saw or heard on that play so you have to just give him the benefit of the doubt. High school officiating is not any easy job, none of these guys do this for a living and there is not much benefit unless you just love doing it. 
Mojo, I can see why you are upset but you know this isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last time a team’s season ends on a questionable call. Your son has been a part of some really good Walker Valley teams over the last few seasons and that is definitely something to be proud of.  

Edited by RCfan

6 minutes ago, HTV said:

It's no secret.  An off field issue kept him out of the Lenoir City game.  

He did play Friday against Ooltewah, but only in the first half just like most of the starters/significant contributors. 

And Nut is correct.  This game has all kinds of upset potential, IMO.  McMinn County is a good enough football team to win if Powell doesn't play well.   

Ouch... I hate to see that happen twice so fast.  Maybe it can be eye opening for the young man though. The sky is the limit for him, he just needs to get out of his own way at times it appears. 

Also I just looked at Mcminn's schedule and I think some of us may have been sleeping on them (I was at least). They've won 7 in a row, Rhea County and Bradley Central are not bad losses at all, some may point to the Cleveland game- but that was week 2 and they are 6A... so I don't know if I would really call it a bad loss. 

• Like 1

I agree with Willie and RCfan there's not enough tape to tell anything. Maybe someone that's not in the tape said something and caused the flag. And the head tackle was a clean play maybe a bit rough but legal. Hate for the zebras to make a difference at the end of the game. But they don't want to do it either, fouls are fouls. "call em like ya see em"!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Why is Redmond out? I know Collins had surgery.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Threw 11 games Powell has averaged 37 points a game.  I guess it depends on who you ask if the offense is struggling?  Powell's defense is finally playing up to there potential.  With that said Powell wins by a lot.  May even be a running clock to start the 3rd.  JMO