HUNTINGDON @ MAHS

footballover

1 hour ago, wardaddy1829 said:

I don’t know what you where looking at  but the the pass would have hit the receiver in the hands if the freshman db didn’t grab the receiver. I guess the fumbles and the opi which was the correct call was coaching too. 

Please explain the pass interference call. Flag was thrown from the back judge. Never saw anything illegal 

10 hours ago, WildBill2388 said:

No FOLD from MAHS!!

2 high scoring offensives in a low scoring slugfest. MAHS is the most talented squad the Mustangs have faced. They are huge, fast with multiple backs that can fly. Their DB's were playing up tight and we still couldn't get behind them on pass plays. Their defense shut out offense down much more effectively than anyone else. Wouldn't surprise me to see this team beat Westview and win it all!

7 hours ago, sportsnutz said:

Ok guys, here it is.

First and foremost I'll start off by saying, hats off to MAHS. Solid football team that was ready to play tonight.

Now that that's taken care of, I need to say that there is nothing that these Huntingdon players did on the field that indicates they should have lost this game. The refs were awful (MAHS running plays with 12 players, a dozen missed false starts, phantom Offensive pass interference call, ruled fumble after the Huntingdon player bounced off the ground), but I'm not even going to make that excuse. This game came down to what seems to always ail Huntingdon in mid-to-late November: Offensive play-calling.

Game Breakdown:

MAHS received the opening kickoff and drove about 40 yards before Huntingdon got their first interception of the night. Huntingdon drove down the field with run plays, aided by a couple offsides penalties on MAHS that resulted in 1st downs. They score and make the XP to take a 7-0 lead. The defensive battle ensues from there with the teams trading possessions for the remainder of the half, making little headway on either side.

Huntingdon receives the 2nd half kickoff and gets to 3rd and long quickly. A rare pass play picks up a big first down and as the refs are running to pick up the ball to go spot a late flag comes in. They call Huntingdon for OPI on incidental contact away from the play as the defender ran into a receiver. That killed the drive and Huntingdon punts.

MAHS takes a possession down the field and scores on a run play with their only TD of the game. Drive was aided by a DPI call against Huntingdon. It was the correct call, but it was an unnecessary grab by the Huntingdon DB as the ball was 5 yards overthrown and couldn't have been caught regardless. MAHS gets the 2 point conversion and takes an 8-7 lead.

On the ensuing kickoff, Huntingdon gets a big return (against 12 in coverage for MAHS) when on the tackle the ball pops out as the Huntingdon returner goes to the ground. He seemed to have been obviously down, but it's ruled a fumble and recovery for MAHS. A few plays later MAHS fumbles it back, but the loss of field position and momentum was a killer. Huntingdon continues to run into that brick wall and punts it away. 

The rest of the game MAHS plays keep away on offense while stuffing the run on defense until finally being able to kneel for the last two plays.

The flashes Huntingdon showed in being creative with play-calling throughout the regular season were thrown out the window tonight. The passes that won the game vs Trenton this year seem to have been completely forgotten. These kids deserved to have been put in a better position to win the game than what they were given tonight. I hate that for them. 

To MAHS credit, their D-Line was up for the challenge tonight. Normally Huntingdon can get blockers to the 2nd level. That didn't happen tonight and linebackers were meeting the back at or just beyond the LoS. Kudos to the defensive gameplan. Just a shame Huntingdon didn't adjust for it like they have previously in the season. We never really did get the run game going strong. Getting behind the chains and then being forced to pass when everyone in the stadium knew it was coming. (Flashbacks to Westview) Outside of the first drive, Huntingdon just couldn't maintain momentum on offense due to the lack of a running game and no attempts to take the lid off the defense. At least give the kids an opportunity to make a play when 11 guys are in the box!

Defensively the Mustangs played one of their best games of the year. Two interceptions and a fumble recovery. When you win the TO battle 3-1 you expect to win the game. They gashed us with a few run plays and some timely passes to Miller on 3rd downs. (Again, flashbacks to Westview) But Huntingdon was able to limit the big plays tonight.

Overall it was a very physical game. Both teams were up for it, honestly. MAHS knew what Huntingdon planned to do on offense, as everyone else does, and executed well to stop it. It seemed like the coaches were so sure that Plan A would work that they didn't even bother to prepare a plan B. 

I've already seen the "Huntingdon wants to fire their coach" meme posted. However, this game was a prime example of where that frustration stems from. When you've proven that you can execute plays like that against a team like Trenton, why would you go back to banging your head against a brick wall when you're not putting a dent in it?

I kept thinking that we would start to wear down MAHS, but to their credit it didn't happen. Both teams played their hearts out for 4 full quarters.

This feels like a letdown because of how everyone has seen Huntingdon play in the last several weeks, but if we're being honest this team exceeded expectations on the year and that's something to be proud of. For Blake, Aden, Cade, and all those other seniors I wish it wasn't over. They deserved to play next week. But if this game plan was any indication, next week would have been our last regardless.

Best of luck to the rest of the teams still playing. MAHS was impressive tonight with their grit. Unfortunately, I honestly don't see them knocking off Westview either.

I agree! We was rooting for you guys! Still a great season and went down swinging! After reading this I don’t think they will get past Westview cause those missed penalties last night will be called every time in Martin. It’s not a Westview home field advantage for that cuz they’ll flag us too. Their lack of discipline will cost them.

2 hours ago, Kiddmaximus said:

I agree! We was rooting for you guys! Still a great season and went down swinging! After reading this I don’t think they will get past Westview cause those missed penalties last night will be called every time in Martin. It’s not a Westview home field advantage for that cuz they’ll flag us too. Their lack of discipline will cost them.

Discipline stop it they said that last week.

They will show up just like they did against Huntington.

42 minutes ago, Tigers38 said:

I know 5 legit teams including private schools in Memphis that will be pursuing T Rivers to be a starting tailback for next season.  Might be a good look for him, he will get much needed exposure and will attend all the SEC and other division 1 football camps.  

He will have to gain some speed to be successful in our offense. He is an absolute bruiser and I wish at times we had utilized him a little more. My only critique of him is that he looks a little sluggish at times with the ball in his hand. Hopefully he makes some big strides this off-season and becomes a big contributor for us next year. He will be a stud LB next year for sure.

22 hours ago, Tigers38 said:

I know 5 legit teams including private schools in Memphis that will be pursuing T Rivers to be a starting tailback for next season.  Might be a good look for him, he will get much needed exposure and will attend all the SEC and other division 1 football camps.  

Who are these schools?

On 11/13/2021 at 4:07 PM, Tigers38 said:

It would be a pretty good commute every day to go back and forth to Memphis.