HUNTINGDON @ MAHS

footballover

1 hour ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I'm leaning with MAHS in this game and here's why:

I can see where you are coming from on every point.  Here are my takes.

1) Pretty sure MAHS will have some better athletes than Huntingdon.  That was the case with Peabody and Mitchell.  Better athletes does not equate to better team.

2)  One of the best run defense in Shelby county?  Ok, not sure where that stacks up across west TN.  As has been mentioned previously by other posters, Shelby county is not known for smash mouth football for the most part.

3)  Schedule test.  Huntingdon by a mile in this one.  MAHS has played 4 teams with winning records, went 3-1.  Winning percentage of those teams was 66%.  Huntingdon has played 6 teams with winning records, went 4-2.  Winning percentage of those teams was 85%.  No offense to Camden but claiming anything by a 44 point win margin is pointless.  Fairley scored 56 on UC which is 8 points more than Huntingdon scored, but Fairley also allowed 35 which is 21 more than Huntingdon allowed.  There is no easy way to compare schedules but Huntingdon is definitely more battle tested than MAHS.

4)  Huntingdon has to be consistent in the run game.  Huntingdon will be consistent, and persistent.  It is in Huntingdon's DNA.  Huntingdon has actually developed an amazing passing attack (at least by Huntingdon standards).

5) Fewest points MAHS has scored is 26.  Same for Huntingdon. MAHS is averaging 43 points/game.  Huntingdon is averaging 44.7.  Will concede that Huntingdon is giving up more.  Partly due to giving up big plays to often.  Mostly due to better competition in my opinion.

6) MAHS is pretty close to Westview.  Not ready to go there yet.  I believe both are really good teams.

This should be a better game than last week.  MAHS will have to be ready to play 4 quarters.  Huntingdon will grind and grind and grind all night.  Huntingdon needs to make them earn every score and not give up too many big plays.

24 minutes ago, Waker said:

Good assessment. I like this kind of thought on posts. Huntingdon has a hill to climb, but these boys like a challenge. At the beginning of the season I thought it would be good for Huntingdon to finish out the regular season 5-5 and 6-4 would be a accomplishment. It was a brutal schedule. They have been outmanned on the eye test all season. After all was said and done they finished out 8-2.

You can’t use the Camden/ Fairley score as a indicator. They didn’t play Huntingdon this year because of a supposed Covid reason. I don’t know all the details on that but it is what it is. Camden (3-8) gave up 51 to Waverly, 44 to McEwen and 48 in a win to Houston Co who was 0-10. Against Westview and Riverside they gave up 82 and only scored 8 between the 2. I feel like Camden was ready to quit hitting heads and start hitting free throws.

I can buy the Camden assessment. They are ready to give it up…

I am curious to see how MAHS looks as far as stamina. Something that Huntingdon does well is wear other teams down. The relentless blocking coming at you is hard to take play after play. I noticed Mitchell players with their hands on their hips through the first drive of the game was telling. After the first TD of the game a Mitchell player, who was going to be the kid catching the return, was laying down beside the end zone. The ref had to actually tell him to get up because the kickoff was about to happen. He wasn’t hurt, just worn out. On the first drive of the game!!

31 minutes ago, Waker said:

I am curious to see how MAHS looks as far as stamina. Something that Huntingdon does well is wear other teams down. The relentless blocking coming at you is hard to take play after play. I noticed Mitchell players with their hands on their hips through the first drive of the game was telling. After the first TD of the game a Mitchell player, who was going to be the kid catching the return, was laying down beside the end zone. The ref had to actually tell him to get up because the kickoff was about to happen. He wasn’t hurt, just worn out. On the first drive of the game!!

They don’t do much conditioning nor like getting hit that’s why I feel like huntingdon wins. They are so physical 

7 hours ago, PeabodyPride said:

Man I haven’t, it’s always a mystery going to the M! We have played at a run down field that isn’t fit for cattle and played at Crump which was really nice and in a cool setting ! 

The field and stadium at Melrose is nice. One of the nicer facilities in the city. There will be plenty of security at the stadium. So there are no worries inside that facility. Will be a great place to have a game. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The field and stadium at Melrose is nice. One of the nicer facilities in the city. There will be plenty of security at the stadium. So there are no worries inside that facility. Will be a great place to have a game. 

I have been curious where this will be played. I’ve always liked  the Melrose field with the building in the far end zone.

I’m going to predict the Mustangs will run wild over this Memphis team. Gonna play with a chip on their shoulder and be country-boy tough, bullying MAHS all night long. Might even embarrass them and put the other teams on notice.. Huntingdon is not just trying to compete, they coming to dominate. Pulling for W.TN rural teams all the way over any/all big-city teams. It’s the Green Acres part of this country hick coming out of me. I LUV that 1A Region 7 swept Memphis’ Reg. 8 teams.. and not just a lil slap either, but a behind the shed full-out WHOOPIN’. Betcha Stangs do it to MAHS this Friday down there in Memphis. 

15 hours ago, PeabodyPride said:

That they may, but, what I have noticed about the Memphis squads is as follows, they don’t like to get hit and play 4 quarters”rarely “ do you see a well coaches hard nosed team out of the M ! Even in our game with fairly when we ran up the gut they had no answer, and they was huge up front , I get it MAHS is undefeated blah blah blah , so was the team in 1 A that was gonna win it all that just got spanked by Humboldt !!!!! Stangs by 21, hide and watch !!!!

MAHS is not Middle College in 1A .

1 hour ago, HevyReturns said:

I’m going to predict the Mustangs will run wild over this Memphis team. Gonna play with a chip on their shoulder and be country-boy tough, bullying MAHS all night long. Might even embarrass them and put the other teams on notice.. Huntingdon is not just trying to compete, they coming to dominate. Pulling for W.TN rural teams all the way over any/all big-city teams. It’s the Green Acres part of this country hick coming out of me. I LUV that 1A Region 7 swept Memphis’ Reg. 8 teams.. and not just a lil slap either, but a behind the shed full-out WHOOPIN’. Betcha Stangs do it to MAHS this Friday down there in Memphis. 

MAHS will show up and play Physical believe that.