Central @ Daniel Boone-Round 2

madhatter2269

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

lol, way more than 5 seasons, but I get ya....      Let's face it, very few schools are ever going to develop into elite football programs.     Elizabethton and Greeneville figured it out, but all the other NET area teams are going to always be the same.   Every now and then Kingsport will get to the 3rd round but 6A always ends at Maryville, just like 5A always ends at Knox Central or Knox West.       I still assert that Boone's defense this year was the best in the area and you can't judge that by some of the scores, because our offense was so bad and gave up either points or turned it over deep in our own territory.      Most of those guys are coming back next year, if we can just put together some type of offense then we might be a very solid team next year.    But man you know how it is, trying to get all the pieces in place in the same year is really hard.

What do you think Greeneville has done differently than Boone or all the other schools around the Tri?     They used to be just an average mediocre team, but since 2009 they have been in the state title game 5 times and won 4.    And I'll be shocked if they do not win the title this year.      There is no way they just randomly have that many athletes coming thru the school that many years in a row.     Whatever they are doing is way different than what all the other area schools are doing (besides Elizabethton).

This may shock you about Greeneville’s Athletes. I taught, coached and pricipalled over 31 years most of the ball player’s Mom and Dads. They are homegrown kids for the most part.

4 hours ago, blazer1set said:

lol, way more than 5 seasons, but I get ya....      Let's face it, very few schools are ever going to develop into elite football programs.     Elizabethton and Greeneville figured it out, but all the other NET area teams are going to always be the same.   Every now and then Kingsport will get to the 3rd round but 6A always ends at Maryville, just like 5A always ends at Knox Central or Knox West.       I still assert that Boone's defense this year was the best in the area and you can't judge that by some of the scores, because our offense was so bad and gave up either points or turned it over deep in our own territory.      Most of those guys are coming back next year, if we can just put together some type of offense then we might be a very solid team next year.    But man you know how it is, trying to get all the pieces in place in the same year is really hard.

What do you think Greeneville has done differently than Boone or all the other schools around the Tri?     They used to be just an average mediocre team, but since 2009 they have been in the state title game 5 times and won 4.    And I'll be shocked if they do not win the title this year.      There is no way they just randomly have that many athletes coming thru the school that many years in a row.     Whatever they are doing is way different than what all the other area schools are doing (besides Elizabethton).

I can't speak for noonesfool since he says he's part of it, but we can go back and track the change.  It's not everything but it's a game changer when an entire county has a central high school with better facilities, more $$$ from tax dollars and outside fundraising, and parents want their kids to be at the best school.

Influx of Niswonger money, influx of coaches, somewhere around the 2007 or 8 season?

There were a few transfers, but that was a build up of a program from what I saw from the outside.  They were knocking on the door when they lost state, but then there were two years of them dominating.  I think aside from losing the championship that 1st year, the following two years they only lost one game and that was Morristown West ((which was still the powerhouse of old).  Their conference didn't have a chance, but they got the job done in the playoffs.  Crazy athletes, I do remember getting to see a few of them play back when we did the VA/TN All-Star Game, no wonder they scored so much.

2nd group that came through, from what I heard, had all stayed together and remained together from pee wee and on.  I talked to a couple of head coaches in Greene County and the word from them were a few of the starters should have been at both of their schools, but went to Greeneville instead.  Sweet spot.  It's a tradition by now and it's baked into the program.  The culture of the city of Greeneville and Greene County has come to expect and push for it.  Success breeds success.

Elizabethton, it seems, worked out well when it made the switch to play up in 4A, but since they chose to play up, they have more students than some of the 4A schools in that conference.  I personally think the first year Betsy played up in 4A they would have been able to beat the Alcoa team that was still in 3A.  I think they have as many as the three Sullivan Schools before the consolidation.  That's an influx of what...150-200 students in a span of 3-4 years?  I'm sure they all went to Elizabethton for academics.  Success breeds success.  It also helps when you have an off campus facility open year round for all the kids to work out at.  Take when covid hit... for 2 months you could only work out at were off campus gyms, all the schools were closed.  It makes a huge difference.  If you can draw in athletes because their parents and the kids believe they can win, then it'll happen.  We had kids who wanted to play at South vs Boone even back in my day, so it happened. 

I hope Boone has most everyone back, and I hope they can get the job done.  After this year, though, I'm not entirely sure anyone from Morristown to Bristol will be able to push past round 3.  I hope I'm wrong.

41 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I can't speak for noonesfool since he says he's part of it, but we can go back and track the change.  It's not everything but it's a game changer when an entire county has a central high school with better facilities, more $$$ from tax dollars and outside fundraising, and parents want their kids to be at the best school.

Influx of Niswonger money, influx of coaches, somewhere around the 2007 or 8 season?

There were a few transfers, but that was a build up of a program from what I saw from the outside.  They were knocking on the door when they lost state, but then there were two years of them dominating.  I think aside from losing the championship that 1st year, the following two years they only lost one game and that was Morristown West ((which was still the powerhouse of old).  Their conference didn't have a chance, but they got the job done in the playoffs.  Crazy athletes, I do remember getting to see a few of them play back when we did the VA/TN All-Star Game, no wonder they scored so much.

2nd group that came through, from what I heard, had all stayed together and remained together from pee wee and on.  I talked to a couple of head coaches in Greene County and the word from them were a few of the starters should have been at both of their schools, but went to Greeneville instead.  Sweet spot.  It's a tradition by now and it's baked into the program.  The culture of the city of Greeneville and Greene County has come to expect and push for it.  Success breeds success.

Elizabethton, it seems, worked out well when it made the switch to play up in 4A, but since they chose to play up, they have more students than some of the 4A schools in that conference.  I personally think the first year Betsy played up in 4A they would have been able to beat the Alcoa team that was still in 3A.  I think they have as many as the three Sullivan Schools before the consolidation.  That's an influx of what...150-200 students in a span of 3-4 years?  I'm sure they all went to Elizabethton for academics.  Success breeds success.  It also helps when you have an off campus facility open year round for all the kids to work out at.  Take when covid hit... for 2 months you could only work out at were off campus gyms, all the schools were closed.  It makes a huge difference.  If you can draw in athletes because their parents and the kids believe they can win, then it'll happen.  We had kids who wanted to play at South vs Boone even back in my day, so it happened. 

I hope Boone has most everyone back, and I hope they can get the job done.  After this year, though, I'm not entirely sure anyone from Morristown to Bristol will be able to push past round 3.  I hope I'm wrong.

Formerblazer, as wrong as Blazerset was, you are right. One thing left out was the Devils playing up. (As well as Betsy) Blazerset was also wrong about GHS mediocrity. The Devils during the long tenure of Coach Fred Sorrells, 20+ Seasons had 3 losing seasons (2-8, 4-6, 4-6) and two 500 seasons playing up. 7.5 wins a year. Another thing nobody keys in on besides the weightlifting is the the extremely large number of multi sport Devil athletes. Basketball, Wrestling, Track and Field, Soccer and Baseball. I was over tuition. About 250 kids a year. Most had been in the school system since elementary school. Swipes will tell you I didn’t give a ding about a kid being an athlete. If you were tuition, and you didn’t pay, didn’t make the grade, or go to class or behave I denied your tuition.

Edited by noonesfool

2 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Formerblazer, as wrong as Blazerset was, you are right. One thing left out was the Devils playing up. (As well as Betsy) Blazerset was also wrong about GHS mediocrity. The Devils during the long tenure of Coach Fred Sorrells, 20+ Seasons had 3 losing seasons (2-8, 4-6, 4-6) and two 500 seasons playing up. 7.5 wins a year. Another thing nobody keys in on besides the weightlifting is the the extremely large number of multi sport Devil athletes. Basketball, Wrestling, Track and Field, Soccer and Baseball. I was over tuition. About 250 kids a year. Most had been in the school system since elementary school. Swipes will tell you I didn’t give a ding about a kid being an athlete. If you were tuition, and you didn’t pay, didn’t make the grade, or go to class or behave I denied your tuition.

Had a conversation at a college class from a past principal At a certain school near Blount County.

how are you good year in and out?

all the kids who should be here are in our program from 4th grade on and we get about 50 new applicants a year who want to play football from Knox County.

At the time I was told it was $250 tuition and applicants, I mean out of zone students,  could be denied.  So…..that answers that question.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, formerblazer said:

Had a conversation at a college class from a past principal At a certain school near Blount County.

how are you good year in and out?

all the kids who should be here are in our program from 4th grade on and we get about 50 new applicants a year who want to play football from Knox County.

At the time I was told it was $250 tuition and applicants, I mean out of zone students,  could be denied.  So…..that answers that question.

Our tuition at the time (I retired 2008) was 1500 for Greene County, 2500 for out of county and 8000 for out of state.

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

Our tuition at the time (I retired 2008) was 1500 for Greene County, 2500 for out of county and 8000 for out of state.

I know when I was in high school my parents would not have been able to afford that.

im curious to see how good everyone becomes when that new school opens at Tri-Cities Crossings.  Then everyone will start getting plucked from different schools

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

I know when I was in high school my parents would not have been able to afford that.

im curious to see how good everyone becomes when that new school opens at Tri-Cities Crossings.  Then everyone will start getting plucked from different schools

I've been wondering that too.    If I heard correctly they will start with a base of the current Tri-Cities Christian and build from there.     They will be located where it will be very easy to siphon off kids from Boone, West Ridge, DB, maybe even Science Hill.

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Wrong about what?

Mediocracy of GHS football prior to 2010. 2 everybody showing up at GHS and three Boone defense better than GHS d or Elizabethton’s D for that matter in another thread. I will not throw at you the 30 something points you gave up to Morristown West

Edited by noonesfool

25 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Mediocracy of GHS football prior to 2010. 2 everybody showing up at GHS and three Boone defense better than GHS d or Elizabethton’s D for that matter in another thread. I will not throw at you the 30 something points you gave up to Morristown West

Boone gave up a lot of points to a lot of teams, but when the offense is throwing pick 6's like there is no tomorrow, fumbling inside the 20, etc...    Yeah the defense is going to give up a lot of points.    Boone defense vs. Eliz defense:   Eliz beat Boone 17-14 so in terms of points the "D"'s were about the same.    The only common opponent was Science Hill, the Toppers scored 17 on Boone and 15 on Elizabethton, so again not much difference there, plus one of SH's touchdowns was a fluke blocked punt in the end zone, not the fault of the Boone defense.     As far as Greeneville, they made it to the 3rd round for the first time in school history in 1998, 4th round in 2000, then in 2002/2003 made it to the 3rd round, so I guess we could back it up 10 years and say Greeneville started getting on everybody's radar 20 years ago... So what is Greeneville doing differently than all the other NET schools (besides Elizabethton)?   The Devils are doing something right that keeps them very relevant in 4A football, something DB, Science Hill, Boone, Tenn High, etc. are NOT doing.

14 hours ago, noonesfool said:

All Very True Coach.  A lot of people forget about how Greeneville played up a classification for as long as i can remember when there were only 3 classification and still when they went to 5 classifications.  There have been some great coaches that have Coached the Greeneville Devils dating back to when Ty Disney and Leonard Coffman coached the Devils and Fred Sorrells had a 65% winning percentage over his 22 seasons going against schools twice the size of them.  Here is a link that will help anyone look up some of the History of the Greene Devils

https://greenevillefootball.com/

You aren't lying about you not caring if they were an athlete or not and how so many kids had been tuition students since grade school.  Lets just say this about @noonesfool he didn't care if you were the starting QB that had started for 4 years and broke records at GHS if you got in trouble your tuition was denied. (This actually happened and always respected him for that)

Edited by Swipes
  • Thanks 1