Oak Ridge High School Football 2022

CardinalGrey

9 hours ago, YoungBuck said:

In all serious, it sounds like Cummings tried to do everything he will not do in the regular season.  Most of his pass game is short play action passes that catch you in the wrong spot, so deep balls seems like he either wanted to keep it vanilla as he can, or work on the things he knows his offense is the worst at... 

If you run the veer, you have to be ready and able to throw it or you get beat all the time but he will use the hundley kid as a HB slot which will be most of his pass game and he was in track. 

Hundley kid playing RB. Central kid playing slot. 

4 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I think I met OR cat along  the track at McMinn County and I believe Nole 3 was up in the stands at the time. Pretty dang hard to be in two places at one time.

Could it be YB is ShagNasty.

Have I posted that Jacob Berven has signed with the Maryville Scots ?

You are right Willie.YB is a big dragon but understandably don't claim them all the time.By the way I was at the event yesterday and thought things went good.Great crowd for a practice and seen plenty of guys that can be great players this fall.Loved the energy from our coaches.It was good to hear many different parents talking about how much they like the new staff.I also noticed a lot of people left before they ran some 11 on 11 .Whoever QB 14 was led them right down the field and looked good.Threw a beautiful corner fade for a TD to complete the drive.We have a lot to work to do getting things right on the lines but I believe we will and have a nice year.It was good to watch some football and be at the ship

I saw a clip on Twitter of the scrimmage (I admittedly left early, 4 AM comes really fast to have to be @ work) and noticed we passed to a TE (fella looked pretty dang big) a few times. I liked that. It has been YEARS (maybe early 2000s) since I’ve seen an OR team complete a pass to a legit TE target, and that was cool to see.

Edited by SweetScience

17 hours ago, Footballer88 said:

Only 3 important football players were at the track meet Saturday? Kelly, Hundley, and Williams. We are in trouble if 3 guys make or break this team. 

True those three will have the most impact on the field, but there are lots of guys that can and will contribute that are out for track and baseball also.  And yes for sure,  we are most definitely in big time trouble if we don't find some OL and DL guys somewhere before August. 

Edited by oridgecat

After reading all of these "informed" comments I have to remember back to 2014 when I joined the" T" the same thing has been said almost every year by almost the same people. And funny thing is they are usually correct. We always look like crap in the spring and by august somehow figure it out and have a better than average team. Much to our non-believers dismay!

Oh Well the more it changes the more it stays the same. Did Yogi Berra say that? Sounds like him.

WILDCAT PRIDE 

Just now, bounder said:

After reading all of these "informed" comments I have to remember back to 2014 when I joined the" T" the same thing has been said almost every year by almost the same people. And funny thing is they are usually correct. We always look like crap in the spring and by august somehow figure it out and have a better than average team. Much to our non-believers dismay!

Oh Well the more it changes the more it stays the same. Did Yogi Berra say that? Sounds like him.

WILDCAT PRIDE 

Bounder was that your grandson out there?  

After reading all of these "informed" comments I have to remember back to 2003 when I joined the" T" the same thing has been said almost every year by almost the same people. And funny thing is they are usually correct. We always look like crap in the spring and by august somehow figure it out and have a better than average team. Much to our non-believers dismay!

WILDCAT PRIDE 

He is just in the 8th grade and can't practice with the team yet. But he has been watching and learning on the sidelines all during the spring practice. And he is my GREAT Grandson! Dang I'm getting old.

11 minutes ago, bounder said:

After reading all of these "informed" comments I have to remember back to 2003 when I joined the" T" the same thing has been said almost every year by almost the same people. And funny thing is they are usually correct. We always look like crap in the spring and by august somehow figure it out and have a better than average team. Much to our non-believers dismay!

WILDCAT PRIDE 

He is just in the 8th grade and can't practice with the team yet. But he has been watching and learning on the sidelines all during the spring practice. And he is my GREAT Grandson! Dang I'm getting old.

Yeah, somebody pointed him out to me. I have been hearing he is a player for a couple years now.  Can't wait to see him in the cardinal and gray.  I'm sure he is very excited that time is almost here.  

Edited by oridgecat

Not wanting to sound like I'm bragging.... but he did have a pretty good year at Jefferson last year. I'm real proud of him. He's been doing really well running track this spring. Unlike his old fat  Pa Paw he can run. May have to keep the WWA t-shirts so I can give one to him! haha thanks for asking about him.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:46 AM, oridgecat said:

Allrighty then,

Well, that's hard to do because so many guys  (about 20) didn't do spring because of track.  Qualifying for state track meet was last Sat.  That would have left only 2 practices for the track guys to join in and there's a 3 day acclimation period.  So we were missing alot of offensive and defensive guys that we are counting on.  We only had 4 of our skill guys that will end up starting. 1rb, and 2 receivers and a corner.   So, there really wasn't much they could do that would resemble what we will see this fall.  But I will tell you what I saw.

The team went through their entire pregame routine just like they will on a Friday night. Then went into their position group drills.  Then they put a defense out there and ran plays at it with no O lineman, basically 7 on 11 if you count the guy on a knee snapping the ball to qb.  I thought the qbs made some really nice throws, not all of the throws were good, but when it was thrown to Heyward or Rogers or Ferrera it looked good.  So, I guess what appeared to be bad passes or jump balls had much to do with who the receiver was.  Then, they scrimmaged a little bit, but like YB said before, it was very vanilla, basic veer option stuff.  So, in my opinion it is far too early to judge how this team will fare this season based on a glorified practice with most all our skill guys not out there. 

I will just say there is a long way to go with this team.  As usual, the biggest issue is O line.  That group will have to come a long way between now and Aug. to be competitive with the better teams on our schedule.  Skill wise this team is absolutely loaded.  But we all know that doesn't translate to wins if you can't block people.  Considering we had about 20 that didn't participate at all because track I thought it was a good night.  It was good to see everybody out at the Ship to support these guys.  Again, what we see in August will look entirely different than what we saw last night.  This team will go as far as the OL can carry them, and that group has a long long long way to go.  

Perhaps BoysfromSI can give us his take on the showcase.  SI?

Most appreciated, sounds like it was a typical spring scimmage, sort of with a lot of the starters playing in other sports. You mention 20 in track, many of them are starters?