Official Dobyns-Bennett 2022 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

2 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

It is for Salyers. Heard from people close to him he would have to work 20 years in TN to retire, less than 10 in VA. Not sure about Norris though.

Wasn't Norris already retired before going to W.R.? I think you can retire in Tennessee and go to work in Va. without giving up full retirement money from Tennessee. But I may have just dreamed that.

44 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Wasn't Norris already retired before going to W.R.? I think you can retire in Tennessee and go to work in Va. without giving up full retirement money from Tennessee. But I may have just dreamed that.

Everything I heard several days ago was from one of the board members up there and not from either coach.Ha,I'd love to tell the " whole story " on why this or that but it's not my place and it would be second hand as well.I wish my kids could have had coach Norris at DB from just the little bit I ever spoke to him and everything I heard from a lot of North dads . Coach Salyers was good to my youngest Indian when he was  wrestling and I guarantee he will bring something to the Rye Cove weight room ,day one.

56 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You are correct, one of my friends is getting ready to retire in TN and is going to VA for a few more years to finish up.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

That's why former Lynn View/North basketball coach John McCrary retired and then went to Twin Springs. 

9 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

I wouldn't have a problem with DB or any team giving the job to a  coach already on the staff if they are ready for the job. 

I agree with you on that. But it's almost a crap shot either way. You don't really know how somebody will do until their in the job. And if you hire someone proven you don't really know if they will fit in your system or get along with everybody on the staff. It's just frustrating to watch their approach to preparing players in the lower grades and little leagues. Which is basically no approach at all. DB hasn't been very good on defense since we lost coach Watson. It seems most people are pushing for Teddy Gains to take the defense coordinator job. I don't have anything against Gains but I don't see anything from his past that would say he'd make a good defensive coordinator. He's coached the safeties for two or three years (I've lost count) and there has been no improvement there. In fact the safeties have went from very bad to much worse. DB's pass defense basically is getting a lot of pressure on the QB and forcing him to make bad passes. Any time they go up against a team with a good offensive line, their toast.