Official Dobyns-Bennett 2022 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

6 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

I see your point and understand whatever those three schools are doing  separates them from most everyone else in this part of the state .Still ,I can't imagine Alcoa having 1500 students and those extra  800 or 900 being as talented as what they are now at their size. They would probably go whip the big Orange to get ready for the season. As for Greeneville , I'll try not to  beat the dead horse from a few years ago, "but" if Sevier and Robinson can both compete and beat Greeneville middle,how can both together not beat Greeneville four years later at DB. Anyway,this is a new year and we will see what the Tribe has for my old Devils.

A few years ago Ridgeview Elementary (feeder school to Boone) had an 8th grade team that went 10-0 and won by an average of 40 points.    By the time they were in high school only 2 boys from that team played football.     I remember going to a Greeneville game a couple of years ago, there were some 8/9 year old kids tossing a football around, they were all dressed in Green and I asked if they wanted to play in high school, without exception they all said "Yes!".    Lot of excitement from those young kids just dreaming of being out there in a few years.     If you could instill that kind of passion in young kids then the high school team would be unstoppable.

44 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

A few years ago Ridgeview Elementary (feeder school to Boone) had an 8th grade team that went 10-0 and won by an average of 40 points.    By the time they were in high school only 2 boys from that team played football.     I remember going to a Greeneville game a couple of years ago, there were some 8/9 year old kids tossing a football around, they were all dressed in Green and I asked if they wanted to play in high school, without exception they all said "Yes!".    Lot of excitement from those young kids just dreaming of being out there in a few years.     If you could instill that kind of passion in young kids then the high school team would be unstoppable.

I tried to send you a p. message but it wouldn’t let me.   See if you can send me one and I’ll see if I can respond.

Edited by Romansfive8

7 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I don't remember Sevier and Robinson beating Greeneville recently. If I remember correctly Sevier and Robinson only won one game last year and that was against each other. "If I remember correctly"

Our grandson is a senior at DB this year. When he was at Robinson, they really struggled in the 7th & 8th grade, as did Sevier. It's amazing that they've been as successful as they have at DB.

8 hours ago, blazer1set said:

You nailed it.    Shouldn't be that way, bigger schools with more resources, more DNA, more everything should never lose consistently to schools < half their size.        Unfortunately Boone is right there with you on penalties, the only good thing is that we do improve a little as the season progresses.     Our penalties are always backbreakers though, like we have someone on a 4th and 2, they line up to go for it, and you can hear the Boone crowd screaming in unison "DON'T JUMP OFFSIDES!!!!!!!".... I don't have to tell you what happens every time.

Yeap, it's hard  for any coach to coach stupid.I played nose guard at several different points coming up and just looking at my spelling,Batman is no rocket scientist but smart enough to watch the ball, period . Don't listen for the QB to yell or any sound, just watch the ball .When it moves and I don't mean when the center adjust the ball illegally,when the ball is snapped,you explode.

10 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

Yeap, it's hard  for any coach to coach stupid.I played nose guard at several different points coming up and just looking at my spelling,Batman is no rocket scientist but smart enough to watch the ball, period . Don't listen for the QB to yell or any sound, just watch the ball .When it moves and I don't mean when the center adjust the ball illegally,when the ball is snapped,you explode.

If Boone ever figures that out then I will immediately go out and buy a lottery ticket.... *sigh* ......

18 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

If Boone ever figures that out then I will immediately go out and buy a lottery ticket.... *sigh* ......

I'm sure it's part of any good coaches season preparation.However,like I said it's hard to coach some kids.I was at a middle school game in Kingsport and a young man jumped three times before they just moved him over to the offensive line.Now for that lottery winning ticket,guess what the young man done on his first offensive snap.................yep,that's right.

16 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

I'm sure it's part of any good coaches season preparation.However,like I said it's hard to coach some kids.I was at a middle school game in Kingsport and a young man jumped three times before they just moved him over to the offensive line.Now for that lottery winning ticket,guess what the young man done on his first offensive snap.................yep,that's right.

I was at the 2012 playoff game, DB @ Maryville.     In the 3rd quarter DB had the ball in Maryville territory, 3rd and maybe a couple of yards.    The same DB guy lined up offsides 2 plays in a row, so now it's 3rd and 12.     Not saying that cost DB the game but you really have to marvel that at this point in the season you can't grasp the line-of-scrimmage concept.      It's not just DB and Boone, I have seen other schools do the same thing over and over and over too.     No wonder high school coaches go gray before their time......     Alcoa and Maryville don't seem to have a problem figuring out where the LOS is located on each play, it can't be that difficult can it???

On 8/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, TribalEmpire said:

I don't think we'll be overlooking Jeff County like we did last year... I see a 5 TD (at least) thumping this season.

Watched JC last night in a scrimmage vs Crockett. Crockett is back to being the Crockett of old. JC is much better than last year every where except the OL. Unless the QB gets hurt, DB will not beat Jeff by 5 TDs. They may beat them, but it will be a tough out. JC is deep and fast in the skill positions. And for the record, i don't think Jeff co will ever win another state title in football. Middle TN just has a better demographic now

2 hours ago, 1OldPatriot said:

Watched JC last night in a scrimmage vs Crockett. Crockett is back to being the Crockett of old. JC is much better than last year every where except the OL. Unless the QB gets hurt, DB will not beat Jeff by 5 TDs. They may beat them, but it will be a tough out. JC is deep and fast in the skill positions. And for the record, i don't think Jeff co will ever win another state title in football. Middle TN just has a better demographic now

Crockett had a multi-year run of some very good players going through they system.   That is over now, and I suspect your assessment is accurate.   However I do have a lot of respect for their head coach so you never know what he can get out of mediocre guys.      I wish you guys the best this year against DB and Science Hill.

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Crockett had a multi-year run of some very good players going through they system.   That is over now, and I suspect your assessment is accurate.   However I do have a lot of respect for their head coach so you never know what he can get out of mediocre guys.      I wish you guys the best this year against DB and Science Hill.

I could see his frustration not having that stud QB. It will be a long year in Pioneer land