Fast Times at William Blount High

BarneySox2007

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

He went in and shook the tree really hard to get all the rotten fruit to drop which half fell off when he did. A lot of parents ran over the previous coaches out there before his time from what I've been told. He was sort of on his way to turning things around at one point then got into a group a few years back that all quit on him one by one until he had hardly anyone worth sticking out on the field. They did have a decent middle school program for a change this past year which may help in the future but who knows. Heritage is what I call a dead program kind of like Sequoyah, Claiborne County, Union County or Cosby. It's like you keep going by the hospital and been checking on them for years but still remains in a coma. Now to make matters worse we have the new Eagleton School which did have a freshmen team this past year and played three games against other teams JV squads which wasn't really fair but once this starts to come on Heritage will take the hit far as losing players to it. I've head some say they will drop to 5A which won't mean anything when you suck so bad you can't even compete in 2A with what you have now. Once Eagleton gets going we might see a Heritage team with 25-30 players top counting freshmen and that's what I mean by dead. 

Alco has 2A sewn up every year. Heritage should shoot for 3A, it looks easier.

Edited by strongx

6 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

He went in and shook the tree really hard to get all the rotten fruit to drop which half fell off when he did. A lot of parents ran over the previous coaches out there before his time from what I've been told. He was sort of on his way to turning things around at one point then got into a group a few years back that all quit on him one by one until he had hardly anyone worth sticking out on the field. They did have a decent middle school program for a change this past year which may help in the future but who knows. Heritage is what I call a dead program kind of like Sequoyah, Claiborne County, Union County or Cosby. It's like you keep going by the hospital and been checking on them for years but still remains in a coma. Now to make matters worse we have the new Eagleton School which did have a freshmen team this past year and played three games against other teams JV squads which wasn't really fair but once this starts to come on Heritage will take the hit far as losing players to it. I've heard some say they will drop to 5A which won't mean anything when you suck so bad you can't even compete in 2A with what you have now. Once Eagleton gets going we might see a Heritage team with 25-30 players top counting freshmen and that's what I mean by dead. 

They are 5A now. They might drop to 4A which is still tough.

23 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

He went in and shook the tree really hard to get all the rotten fruit to drop which half fell off when he did. A lot of parents ran over the previous coaches out there before his time from what I've been told. He was sort of on his way to turning things around at one point then got into a group a few years back that all quit on him one by one until he had hardly anyone worth sticking out on the field. They did have a decent middle school program for a change this past year which may help in the future but who knows. Heritage is what I call a dead program kind of like Sequoyah, Claiborne County, Union County or Cosby. It's like you keep going by the hospital and been checking on them for years but still remains in a coma. Now to make matters worse we have the new Eagleton School which did have a freshmen team this past year and played three games against other teams JV squads which wasn't really fair but once this starts to come on Heritage will take the hit far as losing players to it. I've heard some say they will drop to 5A which won't mean anything when you suck so bad you can't even compete in 2A with what you have now. Once Eagleton gets going we might see a Heritage team with 25-30 players top counting freshmen and that's what I mean by dead. 

Heritage feeder programs are really doing well.  They've got a couple of motivated guys running those programs for the last few years and all their teams are full of players.  I believe that thee Heritage feeder programs are in the best shape they've ever been in.  We'll see if it translates to the high school in a few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldRebel2 said:

Heritage feeder programs are really doing well.  They've got a couple of motivated guys running those programs for the last few years and all their teams are full of players.  I believe that thee Heritage feeder programs are in the best shape they've ever been in.  We'll see if it translates to the high school in a few years.

That's great news. I knew the middle school had a good year. Be great if William Blount could find someone like that.

I want to address the myth that Meadows just had so much more talent because that is one of the myths that allows the program to continue wallowing in excuses. I remember when Meadows was the coach. The culture was better. The players, coaches, and fans actually expected the Govs to beat Maryville and they almost pulled that off. It was pretty simple. The coaches had a good strength program in place and their teams played with physicality. Those teams also had a good kicking game and they always had good defenses that were aggressive and liked to hit. Those teams were everything that Shad's teams weren't. Shad's teams were soft and undisciplined and they never had a defense anywhere close to being decent. Did Meadows have a more complete team talent wise in 2007 than any team Shadowens ever had? Sure, but the talent disparity wasn't nearly as great as people think it was. In 2019 and 2020, WB was a piece or two away from having pretty talented teams across the board but the best we could muster was 4-6 both years. I'll take a 9-3 ceiling over a 4-6 ceiling every single time. Meadows proved it could be done. He showed that WB can have a solid football program with a good weight program, a physical mindset, a good kicking game/special teams, and a stingy defense. Those are all pretty basic things that a competent coaching staff should be able to get out of a school with 1,900 students year to year even if a few Jimmies and Joes consistently defect to schools with jumbotrons. Meadows did it. There are no excuses. If the next coach is decent, he should be able to do it too. I don't care what the record is next year, but I expect the team to be able to tackle.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick
  • Upvote 3

There has been an attitude at WB that one hire can right the ship. Over time they have hired a bunch of one guys who have all failed and left. The guy from alco, the guy from Mississippi, the guy from Rutherford county, etc. Maybe it’s not about one guy? I don’t know if a private school pedigree is going to raise interest at Lanier Crossroads. Whoever it is will need ALOT of help getting the program off of life support. Honestly, I’m surprised a private coach would have interest in the work required in this situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1