Round 3 #1 GreenEville Vs #3 Betsy

DevilMan03

Congratulations to Elizabethton. Great Game plan and they won the battle up front on both sides of the ball. When I seen in pregame cam lister wasn't playing and mason laws was limping really bad my heart sunk because I knew we had to be healthy especially up front to beat a team as good as Elizabethton. Up front and of course the QB position is where this Greeneville team was lacking compared to 2017  and 2018. There is a lot I would like to say about the Greeneville situation but this is not the time or thread to because I don't want to take anything away from Elizabethton and their win. They out played Greeneville tonight and deserve the win they got. We were extremely out Coached. And Greeneville's season was lost before they played the first Game. There is no place in football for politics. But  once again I want to congratulate the Cyclone's and wish them luck rest of the way . Keep it in region 1 guy's

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, orangeandwhite said:

Congrats to the Cyclones, made my night, especially after seeing Greenville run the score up earlier in the year on Sullivan East. Hope you win State, very classy program!

I have to comment on this. I feel the same about teams running the score up. When I saw this score, I thought the same as you.  However, after finding out a few facts, I discovered that my initial knee-jerk reaction was wrong.  

These is taken from the Sam Bundy(Greeneville Sun) article(not my comments).

• The Greene Devils gave the ball nine times to Keelen Lester, a guy so far down on a stacked depth chart at running back that he hadn’t touched the ball all season. Lester, a senior playing on senior night, took advantage, gaining 107 yards and scoring two touchdowns. After the game, Lester wasn’t boastful. He was just a kid truly grateful for the opportunities he got. Knowing he’ll probably not get another chance like Friday night, it meant a great deal to him.
  • Despite being a senior on senior night, Greeneville’s star running back Mason Gudger only got to carry the ball three times. Could he help it if he ran for 51 yards and scored twice? The only way the Patriots would have kept that guy from reaching pay dirt is if he hadn’t dressed for the game.
  • Anthony Petersen, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound beast who would be a thousand-yard rusher on most teams in East Tennessee but is also stuck behind Gudger, carried the ball just once. Could he help it if he scored untouched from 18 yards out?
  • Starting quarterback Brady Quillen and backup Corbin Cannon split time and threw just nine passes, including just two after halftime. Could they help it if they completed seven for 178 yards and three TDs?
  • Greeneville ran just 25 offensive plays and rolled up 394 yards, or 16 yards a snap. What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Gain a couple yards and drop to the turf?
  • Four Greeneville touchdowns came on two punt returns and two interceptions, and the Greene Devils had another punt return for a TD called back on a holding penalty far off the play. What were the Devils supposed to do? Call fair catch? Run out of bounds?
  • Greeneville had 33 players make the defensive stats sheet. That’s three teams deep on the depth chart.
  • Sullivan East ran 57 offensive plays, meaning the Patriots had more than double the chances Greeneville had to score. Yet the Patriots mustered just 71 yards, or a little over a yard a snap, and couldn’t get the goose egg off the scoreboard (except when the scoreboard was malfunctioning). What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Call down the middle school team from the stands to give the Patriots a shot at the end zone?

36 minutes ago, Greendevil87 said:

Congratulations to Elizabethton. Great Game plan and they won the battle up front on both sides of the ball. When I seen in pregame cam lister wasn't playing and mason laws was limping really bad my heart sunk because I knew we had to be healthy especially up front to beat a team as good as Elizabethton. Up front and of course the QB position is where this Greeneville team was lacking compared to 2017  and 2018. There is a lot I would like to say about the Greeneville situation but this is not the time or thread to because I don't want to take anything away from Elizabethton and their win. They out played Greeneville tonight and deserve the win they got. We were extremely out Coached. And Greeneville's season was lost before they played the first Game. There is no place in football for politics. But  once again I want to congratulate the Cyclone's and wish them luck rest of the way . Keep it in region 1 guy's

Yep,it's hard to hold back thoughts right after a loss . I was hoping everything could fall the Devils way and my concerns wouldn't be met with those kinds of results. Still,I can remember a time when this would have been the greatest season in Devil history.I try to stay grounded and not write the stuff I'll really think because at the end of the day,these are still young men and someones son.I'm not perfect and slip sometimes because it does make you mad when the results might have been different for one reason or another.Think goodness our school is having a great run and we can be really mad about a third round loss to the back to back state champs.