Round 3 #1 GreenEville Vs #3 Betsy

DevilMan03

18 hours ago, B-Ball Fan said:

I have to comment on this. I feel the same about teams running the score up. When I saw this score, I thought the same as you.  However, after finding out a few facts, I discovered that my initial knee-jerk reaction was wrong.  

These is taken from the Sam Bundy(Greeneville Sun) article(not my comments).

• The Greene Devils gave the ball nine times to Keelen Lester, a guy so far down on a stacked depth chart at running back that he hadn’t touched the ball all season. Lester, a senior playing on senior night, took advantage, gaining 107 yards and scoring two touchdowns. After the game, Lester wasn’t boastful. He was just a kid truly grateful for the opportunities he got. Knowing he’ll probably not get another chance like Friday night, it meant a great deal to him.
  • Despite being a senior on senior night, Greeneville’s star running back Mason Gudger only got to carry the ball three times. Could he help it if he ran for 51 yards and scored twice? The only way the Patriots would have kept that guy from reaching pay dirt is if he hadn’t dressed for the game.
  • Anthony Petersen, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound beast who would be a thousand-yard rusher on most teams in East Tennessee but is also stuck behind Gudger, carried the ball just once. Could he help it if he scored untouched from 18 yards out?
  • Starting quarterback Brady Quillen and backup Corbin Cannon split time and threw just nine passes, including just two after halftime. Could they help it if they completed seven for 178 yards and three TDs?
  • Greeneville ran just 25 offensive plays and rolled up 394 yards, or 16 yards a snap. What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Gain a couple yards and drop to the turf?
  • Four Greeneville touchdowns came on two punt returns and two interceptions, and the Greene Devils had another punt return for a TD called back on a holding penalty far off the play. What were the Devils supposed to do? Call fair catch? Run out of bounds?
  • Greeneville had 33 players make the defensive stats sheet. That’s three teams deep on the depth chart.
  • Sullivan East ran 57 offensive plays, meaning the Patriots had more than double the chances Greeneville had to score. Yet the Patriots mustered just 71 yards, or a little over a yard a snap, and couldn’t get the goose egg off the scoreboard (except when the scoreboard was malfunctioning). What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Call down the middle school team from the stands to give the Patriots a shot at the end zone?

I appreciate your posting this, but there are still ways you can hold the score down. I was once part of a staff where the QB started taking a knee on every play late in the 3rd qtr. IMO, there should be a “run rule” like in softball or baseball, not just a running clock. When a lead reaches a certain point, say 60 points, you shake hands and go to the house. 

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, first of all my team (Boone) is like a Christmas ham, i.e., we got smoked early and often this season, so not being critical of Greeneville, but.... wanted to add some random observations:

• Greeneville is very undisciplined, something like 4 personal fouls in the first half?     Not saying this cost them the game but just way too many penalties.  Played much better the 2nd half though
  • When it is 3rd and 8 or 4th and 8 do the Greeneville receivers not understand the concept of being beyond the first down marker?
  • It quickly became obvious that 90% of Elizabethton's offense was going to be #10 running the ball.... How could the defense not adjust to that?    Especially Elizabethton's last drive in the 4th quarter, why are you playing a deep safety?    Yeah you might get burned on a long pass but you're already behind 13-7 with 4 minutes left, you have to put everybody there to stop #10 and try to get the ball back because you know the last thing Elizabethton wants to do is pass at that point.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Hey guys, first of all my team (Boone) is like a Christmas ham, i.e., we got smoked early and often this season, so not being critical of Greeneville, but.... wanted to add some random observations:

• Greeneville is very undisciplined, something like 4 personal fouls in the first half?     Not saying this cost them the game but just way too many penalties.  Played much better the 2nd half though
  • When it is 3rd and 8 or 4th and 8 do the Greeneville receivers not understand the concept of being beyond the first down marker?
  • It quickly became obvious that 90% of Elizabethton's offense was going to be #10 running the ball.... How could the defense not adjust to that?    Especially Elizabethton's last drive in the 4th quarter, why are you playing a deep safety?    Yeah you might get burned on a long pass but you're already behind 13-7 with 4 minutes left, you have to put everybody there to stop #10 and try to get the ball back because you know the last thing Elizabethton wants to do is pass at that point.

Betsy wanted this game badly and done what it took to win.

1 hour ago, chs1984 said:

I appreciate your posting this, but there are still ways you can hold the score down. I was once part of a staff where the QB started taking a knee on every play late in the 3rd qtr. IMO, there should be a “run rule” like in softball or baseball, not just a running clock. When a lead reaches a certain point, say 60 points, you shake hands and go to the house. 

I see 2 sides of this. In many ways it’s completely unfair for a guy like Gudger to only get 3 touches in a game, especially when you try to compare players across the state. I see that the Johnson City Press publishes stat leaders throughout the year, and I noticed Jaxon Diamond was the leading passer. If  Quillen had gotten to play more in those blowout games, there’s no doubt that his stats would have been padded. 
Having said that, I’m still not sure I understand the use of Quillen. I know this was discussed a long time ago, but Cannon seems to have a much better arm. I know that it was stated that Quillen played because he’s a running threat. Last night, it seemed like there were several opportunities where he could have made big gains if he had run the ball. Throughout the year(and last night on the Tom Taylor pre-game), it was stated that this could be the best group of receivers that Greeneville has ever had. If so, they certainly were underutilized.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Once again your self defamation of our alma mater does absolutely zero for the conversation.  Just stop it.  We get it, you have zero confidence in Daniel Boone.