Round 3 #1 GreenEville Vs #3 Betsy

DevilMan03

20 hours ago, B-Ball Fan said:

I have to comment on this. I feel the same about teams running the score up. When I saw this score, I thought the same as you.  However, after finding out a few facts, I discovered that my initial knee-jerk reaction was wrong.  

These is taken from the Sam Bundy(Greeneville Sun) article(not my comments).

• The Greene Devils gave the ball nine times to Keelen Lester, a guy so far down on a stacked depth chart at running back that he hadn’t touched the ball all season. Lester, a senior playing on senior night, took advantage, gaining 107 yards and scoring two touchdowns. After the game, Lester wasn’t boastful. He was just a kid truly grateful for the opportunities he got. Knowing he’ll probably not get another chance like Friday night, it meant a great deal to him.
  • Despite being a senior on senior night, Greeneville’s star running back Mason Gudger only got to carry the ball three times. Could he help it if he ran for 51 yards and scored twice? The only way the Patriots would have kept that guy from reaching pay dirt is if he hadn’t dressed for the game.
  • Anthony Petersen, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound beast who would be a thousand-yard rusher on most teams in East Tennessee but is also stuck behind Gudger, carried the ball just once. Could he help it if he scored untouched from 18 yards out?
  • Starting quarterback Brady Quillen and backup Corbin Cannon split time and threw just nine passes, including just two after halftime. Could they help it if they completed seven for 178 yards and three TDs?
  • Greeneville ran just 25 offensive plays and rolled up 394 yards, or 16 yards a snap. What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Gain a couple yards and drop to the turf?
  • Four Greeneville touchdowns came on two punt returns and two interceptions, and the Greene Devils had another punt return for a TD called back on a holding penalty far off the play. What were the Devils supposed to do? Call fair catch? Run out of bounds?
  • Greeneville had 33 players make the defensive stats sheet. That’s three teams deep on the depth chart.
  • Sullivan East ran 57 offensive plays, meaning the Patriots had more than double the chances Greeneville had to score. Yet the Patriots mustered just 71 yards, or a little over a yard a snap, and couldn’t get the goose egg off the scoreboard (except when the scoreboard was malfunctioning). What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Call down the middle school team from the stands to give the Patriots a shot at the end zone?

Zero problems with the final score of the game,  I take issue with Sam Bundy taking shots at what…. Sullivan East?  Seriously? We need that article written taking shots at the kids and coaches, then covering it up on his twitter and saying “That was directed at the coaches.”  Sure idiot, good thing you printed it and it got passed around for everyone to read. At Sullivan East?  Really?  Who asked for that article to be written? Again, the score was not run up.

only thing I think that should be added is that the running clock should be a anytime thing, not a 2nd half game.  Far too many games are getting out of hand by the 2nd quarter.

Edited by formerblazer

44 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Once again your self defamation of our alma mater does absolutely zero for the conversation.  Just stop it.  We get it, you have zero confidence in Daniel Boone.

Not exactly, I had to put that disclaimer in there so somebody doesn't come back with "Why are you taking shots at Greeneville, who did YOUR TEAM play last night huh???"

36 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Zero problems with the final score of the game,  I take issue with Sam Bundy taking shots at what…. Sullivan East?  Seriously? We need that article written taking shots at the kids and coaches, then covering it up on his twitter and saying “That was directed at the coaches.”  Sure idiot, good thing you printed it and it got passed around for everyone to read. At Sullivan East?  Really?  Who asked for that article to be written? Again, the score was not run up.

only thing I think that should be added is that the running clock should be a anytime thing, not a 2nd half game.  Far too many games are getting out of hand by the 2nd quarter.

I agree with everything that you’ve stated. Bundy is an absolute hack. Classy guys  like former sports editor Wayne Phillips have to be embarrassed by Bundy’s garbage. Totally unprofessional, he occasionally will manage to work his political stances into his articles. Perhaps even more embarrassing was the way that he covered the GHS baseball team while his son played. In every article, you could read about how his son had done in that game. Oftentimes, it would be something along the lines of him hitting a hard line-drive out,  or if he didn’t get a hit, he would manage to report that he successfully handled 3 or 4 grounders. It was like the dreaded little league parent, except he has a sports column. 

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Not exactly, I had to put that disclaimer in there so somebody doesn't come back with "Why are you taking shots at Greeneville, who did YOUR TEAM play last night huh???"

Who cares.  It’s me and you on here from Boone and one of us shouldn’t be apologizing,  we played Betsy close and last year beat Greeneville. We could beat Betsy next year by 35 and they’d remind us the 35 plus times they’ve beat us.  Just let it happen

• Like 1

10 hours ago, formerblazer said:

Who cares.  It’s me and you on here from Boone and one of us shouldn’t be apologizing,  we played Betsy close and last year beat Greeneville. We could beat Betsy next year by 35 and they’d remind us the 35 plus times they’ve beat us.  Just let it happen

I like it, Boone has a ton of kids coming back, Elizabethton is graduating 95% of their offense, maybe we can get them next year.    35 might be a stretch but if we could hang that many on Betsy then yeah...

On 11/19/2021 at 10:46 PM, B-Ball Fan said:

I have to comment on this. I feel the same about teams running the score up. When I saw this score, I thought the same as you.  However, after finding out a few facts, I discovered that my initial knee-jerk reaction was wrong.  

These is taken from the Sam Bundy(Greeneville Sun) article(not my comments).

• The Greene Devils gave the ball nine times to Keelen Lester, a guy so far down on a stacked depth chart at running back that he hadn’t touched the ball all season. Lester, a senior playing on senior night, took advantage, gaining 107 yards and scoring two touchdowns. After the game, Lester wasn’t boastful. He was just a kid truly grateful for the opportunities he got. Knowing he’ll probably not get another chance like Friday night, it meant a great deal to him.
  • Despite being a senior on senior night, Greeneville’s star running back Mason Gudger only got to carry the ball three times. Could he help it if he ran for 51 yards and scored twice? The only way the Patriots would have kept that guy from reaching pay dirt is if he hadn’t dressed for the game.
  • Anthony Petersen, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound beast who would be a thousand-yard rusher on most teams in East Tennessee but is also stuck behind Gudger, carried the ball just once. Could he help it if he scored untouched from 18 yards out?
  • Starting quarterback Brady Quillen and backup Corbin Cannon split time and threw just nine passes, including just two after halftime. Could they help it if they completed seven for 178 yards and three TDs?
  • Greeneville ran just 25 offensive plays and rolled up 394 yards, or 16 yards a snap. What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Gain a couple yards and drop to the turf?
  • Four Greeneville touchdowns came on two punt returns and two interceptions, and the Greene Devils had another punt return for a TD called back on a holding penalty far off the play. What were the Devils supposed to do? Call fair catch? Run out of bounds?
  • Greeneville had 33 players make the defensive stats sheet. That’s three teams deep on the depth chart.
  • Sullivan East ran 57 offensive plays, meaning the Patriots had more than double the chances Greeneville had to score. Yet the Patriots mustered just 71 yards, or a little over a yard a snap, and couldn’t get the goose egg off the scoreboard (except when the scoreboard was malfunctioning). What were the Greene Devils supposed to do? Call down the middle school team from the stands to give the Patriots a shot at the end zone?

Taken from (Sam Bundy)….really, Whatever happened to COACHES with good sportsmanship?  Karma is a b**** !!

19 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Congratulations to Betsy! Well played, well coached. Big W strongly deserved. I must put put away my worn Green and white and find some orange and black for next week. A temporary Cyclone till next year. GO REGION 1.

You’re a great guy and were always very supportive of my son. I would like to meet up with you when you head back to this side of the state. Maybe even catch a wrestling match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to the game Friday and I must say Greeneville had no answers for Betsy! They got outcoached, out played physically and played with a chip on their shoulder. The difference between the two games was amazing! Good Luck to Elizabethton and i hope you all win the state but the other side of the bracket is a little tougher than the last few years. I don't like eating crow but sometimes you must. 

22 hours ago, orangeandwhite said:

Taken from (Sam Bundy)….really, Whatever happened to COACHES with good sportsmanship?  Karma is a b**** !!

What's your point?  Can you actually address the facts?

How about:

Greeneville only ran 25 plays the entire game.  That is about 6 plays each quarter.

2 tds on punt returns

2 tds on int returns

What exactly would you have done as a coach?  How disrespectful would it have been to start taking a knee on every play after half-time?  Do you fall down and let them walk into the end-zone?  33 players made defensive plays.  That is at least 3rd or 4th team.  

44 minutes ago, B-Ball Fan said:

What's your point?  Can you actually address the facts?

How about:

Greeneville only ran 25 plays the entire game.  That is about 6 plays each quarter.

2 tds on punt returns

2 tds on int returns

What exactly would you have done as a coach?  How disrespectful would it have been to start taking a knee on every play after half-time?  Do you fall down and let them walk into the end-zone?  33 players made defensive plays.  That is at least 3rd or 4th team.  

Let's just not keep score since people in 2021 are to sensitive about it. Greeneville lost to Unicoi County 120-0 in 1923. I didn't see no sissies on CoachT crying then.  Take your phony outrage somewhere else orangeandwhite.  

Edited by KEV-O
  • Like 1