Powell vs. Rhea (5A Quarterfinal)

FHSAlum12

11 minutes ago, KnoxPhoto said:

I think they played in the 2nd round two years ago with Powell winning that one, right? And absolute truth on going to their place. I went to the Powell game there in 2011. What a haul 

It’s an awesome stadium once you get there though. One of the biggest in East TN, and some great hospitality. Good folks in Rhea County.

• Like 4

Just now, SweetScience said:

It’s an awesome stadium once you get there though. One of the biggest in East TN, and some great hospitality. Good folks in Rhea County.

Agree with that.  

Plenty of press box space since they put visiting radio in the old press box on the visitors side, too.  

I have to go with Powell in this one, Rhea has to control the ball and score using lots of clock and needs a turnover or two from Powell. Plus the game is at Powell too.  The big question for Rhea is can they defend all those receivers and/or pressure Potts into making bad throws, Maybe, but probably not enough. Powell wins and moves on to face old nemesis West, which should beat Central on the other side of the bracket. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah great hospitality - their refs call a fair game as well from what I remember when they host.

Truth is the only way Powell loses this game is if the refs get involved.

Powell by as much as they want....they are scary good and will impose their will this Friday night.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I have to go with Powell in this one, Rhea has to control the ball and score using lots of clock and needs a turnover or two from Powell. Plus the game is at Powell too.  The big question for Rhea is can they defend all those receivers and/or pressure Potts into making bad throws, Maybe, but probably not enough. Powell wins and moves on to face old nemesis West, which should beat Central on the other side of the bracket. 

Hope you're right but West will have its hands full with a pissed off talented Central team. Would love to be playing Rhea as opposed to Central.

Ethan Davis had 359 yards rushing last night and 5 td's. I hope he saved some for Powell. We are going to miss our talented fb (out for the year). Qb will play a big part in RC's chances here. He's going to have to mix it up a little with some run/pass option plays to take a little off of Davis. Our pass defense is the weakest part of the team by far. Not much I can say but we will need some help from above to stop them,   LOL    as always   GO EAGLES!! 

1 hour ago, 57eagle said:

Ethan Davis had 359 yards rushing last night and 5 td's. I hope he saved some for Powell. We are going to miss our talented fb (out for the year). Qb will play a big part in RC's chances here. He's going to have to mix it up a little with some run/pass option plays to take a little off of Davis. Our pass defense is the weakest part of the team by far. Not much I can say but we will need some help from above to stop them,   LOL    as always   GO EAGLES!! 

Davis sounds like a solid back! I think I saw on the tweeter where Potts (Powell’s QB) had 342 yards passing last night with 5 tds. Nolen on the DL had 7 tackles, 5 for loss, and 3 sacks. Should be an interesting game IMO. Looking forward to it!

Edited by KnoxPhoto
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KnoxPhoto said:

Davis sounds like a solid back! I think I saw on the tweeter where Potts (Powell’s QB) had 342 yards passing last night with 5 tds. Nolen on the DL has 7 tackles, 5 for loss, and 3 sacks. Should be an interesting game IMO. Looking forward to it!

That doesn't bode well for us. I'm mad at Nolen for not picking Michigan  lol. Maybe Ethan can run by him before he gets going. I will be happy if we can avoid a running clock.    GO EAGLES!!

I learned a long time ago that comparing outcomes against common opponents is generally not an indication of anything. 

Against weak run defenses the Eagles seem to score a lot and score very quickly.  Against stronger defenses the Eagles take more time to score.   With the first, the impact is that the opposing team has more offensive plays and if you have a player like Karns has, that player is going to have more opportunities and the scores will happen.  With the second, the opposing team has less opportunities, which ends up being a factor in how many points are needed by the winning team. 

If the Eagles limit mistakes and it's more of the traditional type game where the Eagles are methodically moving the chains verses the 1 to 2 plays to score (... which is what the last few games have been ... )  I can see this one going either way. 

If it follows the pattern of the last few games - maybe between the teams they can set a record for most point scored in a high school football game.  This is not meant to downplay the defenses of either team - just that is what the trend has been with the last few games and I think both of these teams can and will score. 

I could be wrong but I don't see either team shutting the other one down offensively. 

• Like 1