Powell vs. Rhea (5A Quarterfinal)

FHSAlum12

Nice talking with y’all. I guess McMinn and I will bow out for the year now lol. Two quality teams in Rhea and Powell. I think the question is can Rhea’s scheme outdo Powell’s pure athleticism speed and size. I think offensively if Rhea can play possession ball on offense and control clock, stay ahead of the chains (which their offensive scheme can do) this game can be close. I don’t know if it’s the sound defeat we just got handed but I would put my pick on Powell in this one. Would not be surprised if they win it all. Impressive team 

• Like 1

Having watched both teams play this game is intriguing. Powell is the obvious favorites but if Rhea can establish the run and keep time of possession solidly in their favor then things could get interesting. I would feel alot better about it if this was a home game for Rhea. This should be a slugfest with a lit up scoreboard.

9 minutes ago, BrushCreek said:

Nice talking with y’all. I guess McMinn and I will bow out for the year now lol. Two quality teams in Rhea and Powell. I think the question is can Rhea’s scheme outdo Powell’s pure athleticism speed and size. I think offensively if Rhea can play possession ball on offense and control clock, stay ahead of the chains (which their offensive scheme can do) this game can be close. I don’t know if it’s the sound defeat we just got handed but I would put my pick on Powell in this one. Would not be surprised if they win it all. Impressive team 

I said early on during the season that no one would challenge Powell in 5A this year and I still stand by that. I thought this was the year for a West TN team to bring it home but I don’t think they have what it takes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HTV said:

These two teams played a few times back in the earlier part of the century, both in playoff and regular season games.  

It was a good series for a few years, but it's been a while since they played.  Powell folks should be happy that it's a home game.  Evensville is one of those places that you just can't get to from here, or pretty much from anywhere. 

Go South on 27 from Interstate 40 Harriman Exit.....4 Lane Highway all the way to Evansvile.

3 hours ago, TNVolFan2000 said:

I learned a long time ago that comparing outcomes against common opponents is generally not an indication of anything. 

Against weak run defenses the Eagles seem to score a lot and score very quickly.  Against stronger defenses the Eagles take more time to score.   With the first, the impact is that the opposing team has more offensive plays and if you have a player like Karns has, that player is going to have more opportunities and the scores will happen.  With the second, the opposing team has less opportunities, which ends up being a factor in how many points are needed by the winning team. 

If the Eagles limit mistakes and it's more of the traditional type game where the Eagles are methodically moving the chains verses the 1 to 2 plays to score (... which is what the last few games have been ... )  I can see this one going either way. 

If it follows the pattern of the last few games - maybe between the teams they can set a record for most point scored in a high school football game.  This is not meant to downplay the defenses of either team - just that is what the trend has been with the last few games and I think both of these teams can and will score. 

I could be wrong but I don't see either team shutting the other one down offensively. 

100% spot on.

Here we go the 1 seed vs 1 seed. Powell offensively is best team we will play this year. While Rhea’s defense has to regroup after that performance. We better be ready for the pass this week and get plenty of pressure on Potts. 

The offense for Rhea is clicking right now even with two of our better players injured.  We can win in a shootout, like the last few weeks or we can win systematically. We can slow the game down and score 35-42 points and play ball control and wear out the defense. We don’t throw it often, but when we do it usually results in a big play or TD. It’s going to take a complete game on both sides of the ball from here on put. If not we won’t be playing the next week. 

One thing for Rhea not to get sucked into retaliating. It’s no secret that Powell is not the most disciplined team, but Rhea cant retaliate and run our mouths. 

Edited by Rhea Co.
  • Like 1