Powell vs. Rhea (5A Quarterfinal)

FHSAlum12

6 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Josh is more likely to land at Lenoir City or Bearden, IMO. I don't see OR hiring a coach without HC experience. Successful HC experience.

It would surprise me to see him at LC.  Just doesn't seem to be a good fit at all.  

LC is a tough place to coach for a lot of reasons.  

• Like 1

The key to stopping the WIng-t is getting in the backfield and disrupting the handoffs, Pal has big Walter Nolen, who is capable of doing that. The big mistake you make against the Wing-T is for the linebackers and corners to get caught peeking in the backfield looking for the ball, they have to stay with their assignments, if they miss an assignment on a pitch, it could go to the house, if the LB is gone the dive or double handoff could go and if they load the box and corners don't cover and its a pass - touchdown!  Rhea has to get up early, they need a turnover or two, and dominate the clock, otherwise if Pal.s offense gets on the field too much, over,

21 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Did not even realize that. I think he would be a great fit there because he would get a lot of talent in the building. But, still so much left on the table to accomplish at Powell this season before making the jump.

Oak Ridge is a little different in getting talent there vs. getting kids transfers in the Knox County system. 

If one doesn't live in the city of Oak Ridge the tuition is over $8K per year.  Obviously that's going to keep a lot of families from sending their kids there if they can't physically move in to the city limits.  

Just now, HTV said:

Oak Ridge is a little different in getting talent there vs. getting kids transfers in the Knox County system. 

If one doesn't live in the city of Oak Ridge the tuition is over $8K per year.  Obviously that's going to keep a lot of families from sending their kids there if they can't physically move in to the city limits.  

My apologies, I was referring to Bearden in that comment. It seems like a great fit for Josh and for Bearden. Good natural area for recruiting right in the middle of Knoxville. Good diversity in the school building. They need offense and he always delivers offense.

4 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

The key to stopping the WIng-t is getting in the backfield and disrupting the handoffs, Pal has big Walter Nolen, who is capable of doing that. The big mistake you make against the Wing-T is for the linebackers and corners to get caught peeking in the backfield looking for the ball, they have to stay with their assignments, if they miss an assignment on a pitch, it could go to the house, if the LB is gone the dive or double handoff could go and if they load the box and corners don't cover and its a pass - touchdown!  Rhea has to get up early, they need a turnover or two, and dominate the clock, otherwise if Pal.s offense gets on the field too much, over,

What is the rule on chop blocking.  I know teams that Powell have played and they chopped Nolan a ton, and got flagged for it almost every time.  I know Rhea chops a lot.  Is it if the D lineman is standing you cant chop, or if the D lineman is down they can chop?  I know you cant go high low, but that is not what was happening to Nolan.  They were just cutting his legs out from the start of the play,  Much like Rhea does.  Curios on the actual rule.

2 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

My apologies, I was referring to Bearden in that comment. It seems like a great fit for Josh and for Bearden. Good natural area for recruiting right in the middle of Knoxville. Good diversity in the school building. They need offense and he always delivers offense.

Concur.  

1 minute ago, keepitmoving said:

What is the rule on chop blocking.  I know teams that Powell have played and they chopped Nolan a ton, and got flagged for it almost every time.  I know Rhea chops a lot.  Is it if the D lineman is standing you cant chop, or if the D lineman is down they can chop?  I know you cant go high low, but that is not what was happening to Nolan.  They were just cutting his legs out from the start of the play,  Much like Rhea does.  Curios on the actual rule.

My understanding is they have to go immediately on a chop. Can’t pass set and then chop. WN will get chopped in this game. A lot! I remember a few years back when Rhea played OR with DM. DM got chopped a few times and called it a day. It is going to happen for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KnoxVil said:

My understanding is they have to go immediately on a chop. Can’t pass set and then chop. WN will get chopped in this game. A lot! I remember a few years back when Rhea played OR with DM. DM got chopped a few times and called it a day. It is going to happen for sure.

It will be curios to see how the refs interpret it Friday night.   

1 minute ago, KnoxVil said:

Chop blocks are illegal.  Have been for a long time.  What most call a chop block is actually a cut block, which is totally different.  Being an Army Football supporter I hear about "chop blocks" all the time.  

He's the best explanation of a cut block that I have seen, and this is from a college football perspective.  I'm not sure if there are different rules for states that recognize NFHS rules.  

Read college football’s cut block rule. Here’s how to tell what’s allowed. - SBNation.com

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HTV said:

Chop blocks are illegal.  Have been for a long time.  What most call a chop block is actually a cut block, which is totally different.  Being an Army Football supporter I hear about "chop blocks" all the time.  

He's the best explanation of a cut block that I have seen, and this is from a college football perspective.  I'm not sure if there are different rules for states that recognize NFHS rules.  

Read college football’s cut block rule. Here’s how to tell what’s allowed. - SBNation.com

Chop/cut are all the same to me but I do understand what you are saying.

5 minutes ago, HTV said:

Thanks HTV

4 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

yeah, between the tackles if you go straight to the knees it is perfectly legal.  I remember that OR vs. Rhea with Middleton.  He was playing D tackle, got chopped first three plays of the game.  He took himself out and said "F that I'm done".  He never played another snap of defense for Miner.  lol