11/13 Playdays

maddams

4 hours ago, maddams said:

I wasn’t able to see any of the action at the play days yesterday. I know Lebanon hosted a big one. I think Gibson County had a big one in West TN.

Who looked good? Any surprises?

Gibson County beat Oakland and Upperman last week and lost to Webb in Lebanon. Webb is the best team in the state as they have D-1 players from Canada, New York, Florida, Maryland and the Bahamas. They are loaded. Have a 6’7 post and D-1 players at every position. They will win the private sector a bunch. Play days this week I was impressed with Wayne County, South Gibson and Greenfield. I watched Greenfield beat Dyersburg. Greenfield’s team is improving and like South Gibson they aren’t loaded with talent but just gets after you and plays hard. Embry is really playing fast and the kids have really bought in at South Gibson. They beat Hardin County and Wayne County. Gibson County beat Hardin County, Wayne County and Clarksville Academy. Wayne County played Gibson County tough as that was their first game and Gibson County’s second. The off season training and summer games has really helped Gibson County. They are much better defensively and just a much better conditioned team than last year. No summer last year. So this year has helped. Play day was first class as always yesterday at Gibson County. Facilities are top notched and a great venue for play days and HS basketball. AA is loaded across the state with 6 or 7 that could win it all. Single A my eyes are on McKenzie, Wayne County, Clay County, Greenfield, Gleason and North Green. Starts this week. Good luck to all!!!

• Like 1

Hard to tell much of anything from the playday @ Gibson County.  Several of the teams were playing at 8:30AM/9:30AM after multiple hour drives to get there.  TSSAA refs were allowing way more contact than normal and fouls were not tracked so "aggressive" teams were able to appear better than others with no fear of fouling out.  Overall, it gave coaches a chance to see their teams run some live action against someone other than themselves.  I wouldn't try to look into these scrimmages any more than that.  Most of the teams at Gibson County have the talent and coaching to win a bunch of game this year.

1 hour ago, PDiddyTN said:

Hard to tell much of anything from the playday @ Gibson County.  Several of the teams were playing at 8:30AM/9:30AM after multiple hour drives to get there.  TSSAA refs were allowing way more contact than normal and fouls were not tracked so "aggressive" teams were able to appear better than others with no fear of fouling out.  Overall, it gave coaches a chance to see their teams run some live action against someone other than themselves.  I wouldn't try to look into these scrimmages any more than that.  Most of the teams at Gibson County have the talent and coaching to win a bunch of game this year.

You should have been to Lebanon last weekend if you think the refs were letting them play at Gibson County. Most physical I have ever seen basketball played at any level was last weekend.

12 hours ago, PDiddyTN said:

Reminds me of a camp game a few years ago, no fouling out or any foul shots at all, and a girl on one team had 22 fouls with the clock not stopping (probably four quarters of 10 minutes). Craziest thing ever. No benefit at all being there. 

15 hours ago, Indian said:

Reminds me of a camp game a few years ago, no fouling out or any foul shots at all, and a girl on one team had 22 fouls with the clock not stopping (probably four quarters of 10 minutes). Craziest thing ever. No benefit at all being there. 

Gibson County’s refs were very good and was just like a game and was top notch. You want to see a circus you should have went to Lebanon where scores weren’t being kept and the refs were on the job training off the street. Gibson County’s play day was first class.

Edited by pioneer42

The Gibson County playday refs were not bad, but hardly like a game.  Teams with bigger guards or post players were way too physical because there was no threat to fouling out.  Half of the games I watched would have seen multiple players foul out each game and that was with just three quarters of play.  Play days are nothing more than pickup ball scrimmages, refs were more there to "keep the peace" than anything else.

13 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Gibson County’s refs were very good and was just like a game and was top notch. You want to see a circus you should have went to Lebanon where scores weren’t being kept and the refs were on the job training off the street. Gibson County’s play day was first class.

I'm not sure what you mean about scores being kept but I can assure that they all were.  I am not saying that a mistake might not have been made but the scores were kept every single game.  As far as the officials, we used our association for officials and many new ones were assigned to do scrimmages and they were being trained by the supervisors on the 6th.  Although this may not seem ideal, if the sport of basketball is to continue to grow then we must have officials and they must be trained.  I think we can all agree that camps and scrimmages are the best place to work with them.  That is the only way we can continue to have officials for basketball games.  There is an official shortage all across the country and although I may disagree with calls like everyone else, I do however see the bigger picture and realize things like this are essential to all sports. 

4 hours ago, DevilettesCoach said:

I'm not sure what you mean about scores being kept but I can assure that they all were.  I am not saying that a mistake might not have been made but the scores were kept every single game.  As far as the officials, we used our association for officials and many new ones were assigned to do scrimmages and they were being trained by the supervisors on the 6th.  Although this may not seem ideal, if the sport of basketball is to continue to grow then we must have officials and they must be trained.  I think we can all agree that camps and scrimmages are the best place to work with them.  That is the only way we can continue to have officials for basketball games.  There is an official shortage all across the country and although I may disagree with calls like everyone else, I do however see the bigger picture and realize things like this are essential to all sports. 

I had no problems with refs training in Lebanon and it was called physical both ways. Just stating our play day refs weren’t letting them be that physical and fouls were being kept up with unlike what a poster above said. As far as keeping score I know wherever we go we want to win and a fair score. I do understand kids are keeping score and there are buckets missed occasionally, but our first game against Oakland we had issues 7 or 8 times that went against us every time. We went down 1 possession up 5 and came back down 2. I know kids are keeping score and not paying attention. It is what it is I guess. Just thought it was very odd that all the mistakes were made against one team. And yes it is a play day, but these 3 hour trips are learning experiences and are made to build confidence for future tournaments.

Edited by pioneer42