Upperman @ Elizabethton Semis

crow6424

20 minutes ago, option76 said:

I thought there was rules about transferring and not moving.  Maybe not in Putnam county I guess.  

I’m just speculating. I have no clue about whether or not transfers will come in but if that happens you better believe a change of address will occur. This isn’t Memphis we are held to a different standard and made to follow the rules. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Already lots of rumors

You cannot blame a kid for trying to transfer out of that program if Jimmy Menard cannot win there I don’t see many coaches coming in there and having much success which is a head scratcher to me. A School that size should be able to compete at any level but for some reason they never have been able to and here you have a Upperman that is fast becoming a football school this head coach and his staff do a really good job so I see kids gravitating to it. Now don’t get me wrong I don’t think it will be anything like the transfers Alcoa is getting but  there will be some movement  

Edited by UCSportsFan

20 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

You cannot blame a kid for trying to transfer out of that program if Jimmy Menard cannot win there I don’t see many coaches coming in there and having much success which is a head scratcher to me. A School that size should be able to compete at any level but for some reason they never have been able to and here you have a Upperman that is fast becoming a football school this head coach and his staff do a really good job so I see kids gravitating to it. Now don’t get me wrong I don’t think it will be anything like the transfers Alcoa is getting but  there will be some movement  

Maynord had success at Cookeville. Playing in the adjoining or same county as RuCo is gonna take down alot of good HC's. Enrollment # means nothing.

13 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Maynord had success at Cookeville. Playing in the adjoining or same county as RuCo is gonna take down alot of good HC's. Enrollment # means nothing.

He had some success but it was limited.  You make a point about enrollment numbers meaning nothing that’s true. You need the athletes but you also need good coaching.  The biggest mystery in the Upper Cumberland is why Cookeville High School cannot win a state championship in any sport when all the surrounding schools have won multiple ones. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

2 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

He had some success but it was limited.  You make a point about enrollment numbers meaning nothing that’s true. You need the athletes but you also need good coaching.  The biggest mystery in the Upper umber land is why Cookeville High School cannot win a state championship in any sport when all the surrounding schools have won multiple ones. 

Upperman was a better team that I thought and I think will be tough to handle in the years to come in 4a.

Edited by lawnman

17 hours ago, lawnman said:

Why did Upperman coach start throwing the ball at the start of game.

I believe the Bee’s coaching staff looked at film and though “we can’t run on these guys”. And they tried to start the game throwing the ball. Instead of relying on what they do beat, they tried to be something they weren’t. And it burnt them. In the second half, they got it right and kept testing that Cyclone front, getting through every so often. But, by then, it was too late. The clock was your enemy and that grind it out game is too time consuming for multi score comebacks. They were simply out coached. And admitted it as much. But, as with every setback in life, I’m sure they learned from it. Remember, Elizabethton was 0-5 in semifinal games until 2019. Witten was 0-3 as a player and 0-2 as a coach, I think. So, egos are broken, lessons are learned and we all move forward. The Bees will be just fine. And should improve on this year’s success. 

Edited by BigDaddyDave
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

I hear you. Up here, we have Science Hill (Johnson City) and Dobbins Bennett  (Kingsport). Two of the top 5 biggest schools by enrollment in the state. They never compete? Elizabethton’s beaten Science Hill 4 years in a row! And they won the 6A Region 1 title. But, here’s the thing! If the community, school board and coaches don’t get behind the program, and do whatever it takes to succeed, it will NEVER HAPPEN! The Cyclones, Alcoa, Oakland, Maryville, and Greenevilles of this world just don’t get up and play football during the season. It’s a year round commitment, starting at age 5-6, and continuing through high school.  Tell me if a team you know that the players arrive at 6:00am to lift every day before school. ALL YEAR LONG!!! Our motto is “Next season starts today”! We won a state title on a Saturday, started bract season’s off season weight program on Monday. Some teams are just built different. It’s a buy-in of epic proportion. 

19 hours ago, gr8tplay said:

Crow, if and I mean if you all had ran from the start this game is way different!  Much respect for your team. Played every down with grit and heart. You’ve got a lot of athletic players. You are heading upwards for sure. 

Careful, y’all are dangerously close to trademark infringement here :roflolk: