Best teem inn TN hi skool histree att 825

STARSNBARS

Just a few thoughts after watching a couple of Maryville games and having seen Oakland against LA & CPA. As always, Maryville is well coached and loaded with talent. This past Friday was a little bit of a stumble, which may be a good thing, I doubt that will happen two weeks in a row. No doubt Oakland is battle tested, and have proven they play to the last snap.

I think it comes down to Oakland having too many option on offense, and how they adjust through the game. It should be a great game. I would go with Oakland by a TD.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, EarlVolFan said:

Do you guys STILL not get it? There is no 'open zoning' in Blount County. Unlike Rutherford County, there are THREE SEPARATE school systems in Blount County - Maryville City, Alcoa City, Blount County.

For ANY non-resident of the City of Maryville to attend it's public schools, one must pay a substantial tuition (+$2K). That pretty much eliminates most venue shopping athletes unlike the 'magnet' school that Oakland operates.

I have a serious question. I’m not being sarcastic or back handed, it’s a legit question. I understand that the fee to place your kid in Maryville if they were zoned for say heritage or someplace else is expensive enough to cut down on it being a very frequent occurrence. My question is this- is that fee a hard and fast zero exception policy or can that fee be waived or broken up or a kid be given a “scholarship” to cover the fee?  I guess II’m asking is that a serious policy or one with grey areas that can be changed to fit the situation? Again, no disrespect just curious as I’ve always heard the complaints/accusations about Maryville having an unfair advantage and I’ve always heard the defense of it from others and I’ve never really known what to make of it or how it all really worked. 

You cant just pay and get in. They have to have and maintain a certain GPA. If they dont maintain then they are warned and then removed from eligibility to remain.  There are no available spots and havent been for several years.  
I have personally witnessed parents from other places /moving into area etc shopping schools with their " all american"  when they are told that their kid can try out and that there is no guarantee of playtime or position they bolt. Just this past summer a momma brought her top 5 star son in and asked what was going to be done for him to play at Maryville... she was told he can play but there is no guarantee and nothing extra was going to be done or given. They went else where ... and we are glad they did. 

2 hours ago, Bluegreymom said:

I have a serious question. I’m not being sarcastic or back handed, it’s a legit question. I understand that the fee to place your kid in Maryville if they were zoned for say heritage or someplace else is expensive enough to cut down on it being a very frequent occurrence. My question is this- is that fee a hard and fast zero exception policy or can that fee be waived or broken up or a kid be given a “scholarship” to cover the fee?  I guess II’m asking is that a serious policy or one with grey areas that can be changed to fit the situation? Again, no disrespect just curious as I’ve always heard the complaints/accusations about Maryville having an unfair advantage and I’ve always heard the defense of it from others and I’ve never really known what to make of it or how it all really worked. 

My understanding is that tuition opportunities are available if there is room in the classes. Though we joke a lot amongst ourselves, I am not aware of waivers for this fee based on 40 times or mama’s looks. In this particular school year, I was contacted by a parent of a kid from another school who wanted to pay the tuition and transfer. Kid is both a good football and baseball player. I did some asking for my friend and was told by our head coaches, the A.D., and school board members that there was not room for tuition students at this time. The family would need to move into the zone. This situation likely changes as the years go by, but to answer your question I’m not aware of any “scholarships“. 

6 minutes ago, strongx said:

My understanding is that tuition opportunities are available if there is room in the classes. Though we joke a lot amongst ourselves, I am not aware of waivers for this fee based on 40 times or mama’s looks. In this particular school year, I was contacted by a parent of a kid from another school who wanted to pay the tuition and transfer. Kid is both a good football and baseball player. I did some asking for my friend and was told by our head coaches, the A.D., and school board members that there was not room for tuition students at this time. The family would need to move into the zone. This situation likely changes as the years go by, but to answer your question I’m not aware of any “scholarships“. 

That makes sense. Thank you for the response. I truly meant no disrespect and was just asking out of curiosity due to all of the various rumors that always swirl around  this issue and figured why not just ask directly. Appreciate the response. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2021 at 3:27 PM, TinPigskin said:

What exactly do you mean when saying, "apparently Maryville does not remember last year"?

This game will be a blow out in favor of Oakland. They have the NPA recruits back for another year and they are  cherry picking players from Rutherford county. Noticeably the other teams in Rutherford county are paying the price (mediocrity).

• Sad 1

Been breaking down some film today. Okelund has a slew of good looking players but 2, 3, and 7 jump out. It still looks like I’m watching the redskins of old but with Dorsett running it instead of Riggins. It’s gonna take something special to help the home team this week. I hope my cousin is officiating this game!

29 minutes ago, strongx said:

Been breaking down some film today. Okelund has a slew of good looking players but 2, 3, and 7 jump out. It still looks like I’m watching the redskins of old but with Dorsett running it instead of Riggins. It’s gonna take something special to help the home team this week. I hope my cousin is officiating this game!

8 (Khalil James) has really stepped up in the postseason. Only a junior, he'll be asked to do alot next year with James, Horton and Patterson graduating. Won't see Horton and Patterson alot on defense, but they'll play a few snaps.