Peabody vs McKenzie (West Semi Finals)

PeabodyPride

I haven't seen much film on Peabody this season but 3 state championships the last 3 years speaks for itself and also says a lot about the coaching staff.

My opinions on McKenzie are as follows:

- Tide keeps bring up the Huntingdon game and that the Stangs didn't have their starters set yet.  If you go back and watch that game McKenzie didn't have it all together either.  Their offense scored because the athleticism of Cassidy and Taylor can overwhelm any defense but the Rebel defense was not firing on all cylinders and still had much to learn about assignments, staying home, and reading the ball.  Regardless the result was a McKenzie win over a very talented and hardnose H-Town team.  (Obviously they were a good team because you guys took the L)

-Speaking of defense the Rebel front 7-8 have stepped up big time in the playoffs.  The pressure the d-line has been able to create in the backfield along with the linebackers (especially McCreary) being able to close on the ball have stifled the opposing offenses and has allowed some breathing room for the McKenzie offense as they are now facing legit defenses and not running up the score.  This will be key in Fridays game and I expect the Rebel D to continue playing this way.  Biggest weakness I see will be limiting defensive PI.  McKenzie secondary is very athletic but height of their DB's has been an issue all season.    

-Offensively from what I saw Friday night the Rebel play-calling was predictable.  If something works doesn't mean you have to run it 10 times in a row.  Mix in some play-action, use the pass to open up the run game, pass some on first down,  get the ball to Taylor in multiple ways (run and pass), and use McCreary when needed.  O-line for McKenzie is solid but not all-world but the good thing about them is they get timely blocks and also Cassidy and Taylor don't need much time to create a play.

-Finally McKenzie goes as Cassidy goes.  He is smart, tough, humble, and a grinder.  Willing to do whatever it takes to make a play on offense and defense.  I see him as the reason McKenzie gets the W on Friday night.  Rebels - 24 Tide - 16

Edited by NigCuppy
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, thunderbolts said:

These guys will be the difference if Peabody moves on or not. Nothing but respect for McKenzie, but if this group does what they are capable of and wear down the d-line of McKenzie Peabody will move on. The skill players are about even, maybe a slight edge to McKenzie, but Coach Driggers is the best o-line coach in 1a-4a football in Tennessee. These coaching staffs know each other quite well as both Driggers and Taylor I believe started out coaching under Comer at McKenzie. This game will be a battle for four quarters, but after watching Fayetteville I can guarantee you this group will be a lot better with their technique than Fayetteville was. Fayetteville was big, but WOW they were not good fundamentally. The reason the Tide are three time state champs is because of the work the coaches do with this group. We have been very blessed to have some outstanding o-lineman the last few years and now this group of Juniors (except for #50) know the challenge ahead of them. They have had this entire year to gel for this specific moment. If they give Ganaway a slight opening he will take it to the house. ROLL TIDE!!

I also heard rumors with Peabody out of school all week this week, the Mad Scientist has locked himself in a dungeon and is creating some type of special formula to stop the Rebel offense. When you give the mad scientist an entire week off of school to concentrate on one opponent so he  can focus 24/7 on the Rebel offense you just never know what he can come up with. Usually though it works out pretty well for the Tide!! LOL.

32 minutes ago, thunderbolts said:

I also heard rumors with Peabody out of school all week this week, the Mad Scientist has locked himself in a dungeon and is creating some type of special formula to stop the Rebel offense. When you give the mad scientist an entire week off of school to concentrate on one opponent so he  can focus 24/7 on the Rebel offense you just never know what he can come up with. Usually though it works out pretty well for the Tide!! LOL.

image.jpeg.de6f3cedf76ad3a27d16da6a5e5137f9.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NigCuppy said:

I haven't seen much film on Peabody this season but 3 state championships the last 3 years speaks for itself and also says a lot about the coaching staff.

My opinions on McKenzie are as follows:

- Tide keeps bring up the Huntingdon game and that the Stangs didn't have their starters set yet.  If you go back and watch that game McKenzie didn't have it all together either.  Their offense scored because the athleticism of Cassidy and Taylor can overwhelm any defense but the Rebel defense was not firing on all cylinders and still had much to learn about assignments, staying home, and reading the ball.  Regardless the result was a McKenzie win over a very talented and hardnose H-Town team.  (Obviously they were a good team because you guys took the L)

-Speaking of defense the Rebel front 7-8 have stepped up big time in the playoffs.  The pressure the d-line has been able to create in the backfield along with the linebackers (especially McCreary) being able to close on the ball have stifled the opposing offenses and has allowed some breathing room for the McKenzie offense as they are now facing legit defenses and not running up the score.  This will be key in Fridays game and I expect the Rebel D to continue playing this way.  Biggest weakest I see will be limiting defensive PI.  McKenzie secondary is very athletic but height of their DB's has been an issue all season.    

-Offensively from what I saw Friday night the Rebel play-calling was predictable.  If something works doesn't mean you have to run it 10 times in a row.  Mix in some play-action, use the pass to open up the run game, pass some on first down,  get the ball to Taylor in multiple ways (run and pass), and use McCreary when needed.  O-line for McKenzie is solid but not all-world but the good thing about them is they get timely blocks and also Cassidy and Taylor don't need much time to create a play.

-Finally McKenzie goes as Cassidy goes.  He is smart, tough, humble, and a grinder.  Willing to do whatever it takes to make a play on offense and defense.  I see him as the reason McKenzie gets the W on Friday night.  Rebels - 24 Tide - 16

Good breakdown… SippyCup. 

8 minutes ago, maverick348 said:

Trenton Peabody and McKenzie obviously are two of the best 1a teams in Tennessee but one will stay home and the other will advance to probably bring the gold ball to West Tennessee. Hopefully it will be an injury free game and the referees will let the players determine who goes to the Championship game.

GO REBELS!!!

you sir are absolutely correct!! I pray the refs let them play!!! this time of year, they have earned the right!! I hope all are from crossville east!!   will be a game to remember I'm sure. win or lose, the rebels have everyone looking!! only gonna get better!!!!! 

50 minutes ago, REBFAN07 said:

well we don't normally serve pancakes in the concession stand, but if ya gonna bring a whole platoon, with cash, maybe we can accommodate ya?? y'all get them early, before the game!! would hate to run out, and y'all expecting them?? 

We will serving be the pancakes , they are free !

Edited by PeabodyPride

1 hour ago, maverick348 said:

Trenton Peabody and McKenzie obviously are two of the best 1a teams in Tennessee but one will stay home and the other will advance to probably bring the gold ball to West Tennessee. Hopefully it will be an injury free game and the referees will let the players determine who goes to the Championship game.

GO REBELS!!!

Keep thinking the west will bring home the gold we will find out next week

31 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree 110%. When you get this far, they are all tough and no free one’s. Football is a crazy game. 

Glad to see these two deserving long time region foes going toe to toe the day after Thanksgiving!!! I fully expect a electric atmosphere with two proud  fan bases supporting their gridiron warriors, it doesn’t get any better than this is rural west TN !!

• Like 1