Giles @ Alcoa Rd 4

PtownCat

3 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Well well....doesn’t ^THIS^ go against the recruiting and cheating narrative that outsiders have....B)

I never made any accusation of cheating or recruiting, I just said playing year in and year out playing against inferior teams can not be fun. Even winning a state championship by a large margin does not seem to be much fun. I would think playing a tough game against an equally talented team would be exciting and not playing teams that your starters are done by halftime. I do know some coaches will only coach where win it all or they will leave the school and go somewhere else. Coach Rankin left Riverdale for this very reason. Carlton Flatt at Brentwood Academy got out as coach for 2 seasons only to return to head coach when talent got back to level of winning it all. Of course , he could do that, since he was AD. I was only making the statement that I would like to see Alcoa play at a level equal to their talent and play competitive teams that actually have a chance to win. Tomorrow will be another game that may or may not say if I am wrong.

39 minutes ago, fb247 said:

I never made any accusation of cheating or recruiting, I just said playing year in and year out playing against inferior teams can not be fun. Even winning a state championship by a large margin does not seem to be much fun. I would think playing a tough game against an equally talented team would be exciting and not playing teams that your starters are done by halftime. I do know some coaches will only coach where win it all or they will leave the school and go somewhere else. Coach Rankin left Riverdale for this very reason. Carlton Flatt at Brentwood Academy got out as coach for 2 seasons only to return to head coach when talent got back to level of winning it all. Of course , he could do that, since he was AD. I was only making the statement that I would like to see Alcoa play at a level equal to their talent and play competitive teams that actually have a chance to win. Tomorrow will be another game that may or may not say if I am wrong.

Obviously you have NOT checked Alcoa's out of region schedule the last 20 years. Alcoa’s always schedules UP.

6 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

I posted this over the summer for all of you "Gary Rankin Haters" out there who like to throw shade at what he has done through the years.  If Alcoa wins the Class 3A State Championship this year Coach Rankin will end the year as the #8 winningest high school football coach of all-time.  

As Of This WeekInactive Coaches In BOLD

1.)  John McKissick 621 overall wins

2.)  J.T. Curtis got to 603 overall wins and John Curtis Christian, LA got beat in the 2nd Round of the State Playoffs by Jesuit by a score of 14-13.  

3.)  Mike Smith reached 506 overall wins and Hampton, VA finished at 8-2 overall as was defeated in the 2nd Round of the State Playoffs by Warhill by a score of 13-6.  

4.)  Bob Hyland reached 496 overall wins by adding 14 victories to his coaching mark this season and his St. Mary's Springs, WI team was beaten just this past week by Colby 22-7.  

5.)  Phillip Danaher reached 490 overall wins.  He is the all time winningest high school football coach in Texas history.  Calallen, TX was eliminated by Fredricksburg 14-10.  

6.)  Larry Campbell 477 overall wins

7.)  Jim Roth currently sits at 468 overall wins.  The Southern Columbia, PA Tigers currently sit at 12-1 on the season and play Richland Township tomorrow night in the state semifinals.  

8.)  Charles "Corky" Rogers 466 overall wins

9.)  Gary Rankin currently sits at 465 overall wins and his Alcoa, TN Tornadoes currently sit at 12-1 overall on the season.  Of course they host Giles County in the state semifinals tomorrow night.  

10.)  Phillip Haywood, Belfry KY High School coach, currently sits at 463 wins and has the Pirates sitting at 7-5 overall this season.  They play East Carter tomorrow night in the state semifinals of the state playoffs.

11.)  Bill Castle of Lakeland, FL reached 459 overall victories this season.  Two weeks ago the Lakeland Dreadnaughts ended their 2021 campaign at 9-2 with a 24-20 loss to Lake Gibson in the state playoffs.  

12.)  George Curry 455 overall wins

I saw Larry Campbell’s teams play many times when I used to go to the Georgia Dome every year. His Lincoln Co. teams dominated Class A in Georgia for over 30 years. 

3 hours ago, chs1984 said:

I saw Larry Campbell’s teams play many times when I used to go to the Georgia Dome every year. His Lincoln Co. teams dominated Class A in Georgia for over 30 years. 

George Quarles:  250-16 from 1999-2016 (Maryville High School)

Kevin Creasy:  173-18 from 2008-2021 (Trousdale County High School & Oakland High School)

The winning % marks of those two men are unbelievable.  I know so many like to know where they stand.  It's still hard to believe that George Quarles has not been coaching high school football for 5 years.  At some point I would be shocked if he is not a head coach again either at the college level or at the high school level.  

4 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Kevin Creasy:  173-18 from 2008-2021 (Trousdale County High School & Oakland High School)

The winning % marks of those two men are unbelievable.  I know so many like to know where they stand.  It's still hard to believe that George Quarles has not been coaching high school football for 5 years.  At some point I would be shocked if he is not a head coach again either at the college level or at the high school level.  

I always wanted to see him get a chance to coach UT back in the day, local legend would have definitely sold tickets and brought in some folks. Did the locals chase him out of town or what? I’m still shocked at him not coaching Maryville any longer 

Edited by arshad221

2 hours ago, arshad221 said:

I always wanted to see him get a chance to coach UT back in the day, local legend would have definitely sold tickets and brought in some folks. Did the locals chase him out of town or what? I’m still shocked at him not coaching Maryville any longer 

Nobody ran George Quarles off. He had an opportunity to coach at his alma mater Furman. His wife is from South Carolina.  We Rebel fans wanted George Quarles to stay another 20 years. We are also glad to have Derek Hunt. 

11 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

GQ is already OC at Furman, so it's just a matter of when. I wouldn't be mad if he replaced Rick Stockstill at MTSU. 

As for Creasy, he's probably a safe bet to stay at Oakland until his son graduates. After that, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the move to the college ranks as well

14 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

He was runner-up for the Chattanooga job a couple of years back, but they went in the other direction. 

55 minutes ago, bulldog69 said:

Why hasn't there been a discussion on Giles alleged 12-0 record. Conveniently left out Covid forfeit to Page. BUT includes another Covid forfeit in their win column. Such hypocrisy. Giles 12-1 .  Maybe Karma will rear it's head tonight and Giles finishes 12-2. The undefeated record is a fraud.

That's because that is the TSSAA Guidance on how to report wins/losses.  Team that couldn't play because of COVID counts it as a "no contest".  Team that would have played still counts it as a win.

1 hour ago, bulldog69 said:

Why hasn't there been a discussion on Giles alleged 12-0 record. Conveniently left out Covid forfeit to Page. BUT includes another Covid forfeit in their win column. Such hypocrisy. Giles 12-1 .  Maybe Karma will rear it's head tonight and Giles finishes 12-2. The undefeated record is a fraud.

You need to research the tssaa guidelines for Covid forfeits. It’s obvious you don’t know what the rules are.