LA vs CPA - the rematch

theawesomebro

I was kind of hoping LA would play someone new but CPA is just too good.  so what are your thoughts on how it will be different than their first meeting this year?  obviously, they are a talented, well coached team.  how does CPA win this?  how does LA beat them twice?  they both played Oakland to the bell and I thought the first matchup would be close based off that.  

7 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

I was kind of hoping LA would play someone new but CPA is just too good.  so what are your thoughts on how it will be different than their first meeting this year?  obviously, they are a talented, well coached team.  how does CPA win this?  how does LA beat them twice?  they both played Oakland to the bell and I thought the first matchup would be close based off that.  

I think if CPA protects the ball, it should be a better game than the first time. It’s a big gap to make up, and I’m not sure a team has ever been mercy ruled and then beat the same team in the championship or even playoffs, but I think this CPA team has a better chance than most to do it. 

CPA is firing on all cylinders at the right time. They had Lausanne down 56-10 after 3 quarters when they pulled their starters. Lausanne didn’t pull their starters, scoring 3 TDs in the fourth, even calling time out with 3 seconds left to give their Mr. Football candidate another score… obviously hoping to take advantage of how clueless some of the voters can be… nobody should beat Broome.

44 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

I think if CPA protects the ball, it should be a better game than the first time. It’s a big gap to make up, and I’m not sure a team has ever been mercy ruled and then beat the same team in the championship or even playoffs, but I think this CPA team has a better chance than most to do it. 

CPA is firing on all cylinders at the right time. They had Lausanne down 56-10 after 3 quarters when they pulled their starters. Lausanne didn’t pull their starters, scoring 3 TDs in the fourth, even calling time out with 3 seconds left to give their Mr. Football candidate another score… obviously hoping to take advantage of how clueless some of the voters can be… nobody should beat Broome.

Being from RuCo, the example that instantly came to mind was in 2006 when Smyrna lost to Riverdale 49-0 then turned around and beat them 9-7 in the playoffs, so it has happened before

2 hours ago, BreadTruck28 said:

This will be a battle..cpa trending up, LA flat to trending down.  Luther a little off the last 3 games.  Hard to make up 38 for sure but my early prediction is something like 28-21 LA.

Once again the key in my mind is that LA starts 22, CPA probably around 15 or 16…LA should wear down the key cpa players in the second half (Langston included) but the tv breaks and cold weather will minimize that.

5 hours ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Take care of the ball, eliminate costly penalties and don't fall behind by 21 in the 1st quarter.

Count the long ball TD  to London Humphries that was called back by holding then the 38-0 is at least 38-7 but was most likely going to be very close because it was even thru most of the first Q and part of the 2nd. London Humphries will be best athlete on the field and Broome the best football player. QB for each is vital and both are capable of being the star.  Not sure either coach has a surprise for the other, so that means whichever wins the line play will win the game. LA will not get the gift of a fumble deep from a kid who tries too hard and is firey on each play he is in. That is 2 big momentum shifts that will not play out again. CPA LB corps will play Broome running better, but the 2 bugaboo weaknesses all year will be evident again. CB coverage and wide play coverage will be a  CPA weakness and bad snaps are a possible game changer which has happened often. LA had Oakland down early and CPA had Oakland on the ropes late, both CPA and LA have proven talent. CPA will be ready and may need to win the toss and establish the game on offense to pull off the turn around. Gold ball is the continuing motto from all year.  Weather and early kickoff are confounders. What say Booger for his hometown hosting? One touchdown either way, much as last year in Cookeville.

CPA 10th graders  have played more in playoffs that reg season, and CPA is healthier going in to this one than reg season matchup.

appreciate all the replies.  I agree it will probably closer but I do not think lipscomb's defense is flat to trending down. they held DA to negative rushing yards and under 70 yards total.   davidson had a pretty impressive offense all season.  I also think the 2 way players for CPA were a difference, as well.

in any case, thanks for the discussion!

• Like 1

I"ve been trying to think about the regular season game this year and what would be different in the championship game.  CPA had 3 turnovers with a TD pass called back for holding.  LA had a dropped short TD pass that turned into a FG.  LA QB had a bone headed 50 yard pass for an INT.  CPA went for it on 4th and 16 with a hail marry pass to the goal line to a non-typical receiver that turned into a pass interference call on LA.  CPA resorted to launching the ball long over and over to 21.  Anything outside the tackles was quickly shut down.  CPA has been effective running right up the middle and bouncing it outside behind the tackles for good runs. 

A few interesting stats from the championship game last year:

1 - Broome had 7 carries for 27 yards

2- Patterson had 34 carries for 191 yards

3- Law had 25 carries for 168 yards

4- CPA time of possession 38:46 to LA 9:14

Final score was CPA 35 LA 28

LA has better overall talent, IMO, and has been the only team to stop CPA running attack (including Oakland). That is the key to beating CPA.  Wide open game favors LA. LA should win IF Luther is not having an off day and limits mistakes. CPA has to play pretty perfect, control clock, and put pressure on LA with some long 2nd and 3rd down yardages by containing Broome. 
4th year in a row for CPA in finals, so seniors are pretty well tested in big games.

Could be similar to when BA beat MBA in 2015 reg season 48-14 and then in state game it was 56-55 and took it to the very last play for BA to win in double ot or the Baylor Ensworth games of 2011. In D2 the talent level is so high that generally anything can happen in any game. I think LA should win but would not be surprised if its close.

Something pretty drastic will need to be different in the rematch regarding the CPA running game.  My thinking is it will be a pretty clean game regarding turnovers.  Both teams have played in big games and are well coached.  The moment will not be to big for any of the players or coaches.  There will likely be a game changer on the kickoff return of either team.  I would bet both teams go for it on 4th down multiple times.