NCS vs DCA - rematch for a gold ball

CougarDadx2

12 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

Not what I expected. Congrats to DCA, great season!

I wasn’t surprised because I expected this game to be similar with the running games and turnovers as well as special teams returns. The difference that I was curious to see was what would happen on a dry field because DCAs passing attack led by Gaines, Sneed, and Maglia is excellent. Not to mention an O-line led IMO by the best center in the history of the school in Aiden Francis opened holes and protected very well. 

When Paul Wade came to DCA four years ago I believed the talent was there to win a gold ball and said so on here. He started four 8th graders on his first team and all four were major contributors this year. Add in a handful of players that came to DCA to play for a guy who had 10 rings and the potential was there for this result. Coach Wade methodically and meticulously built this team from the ground up. 

Wade has been called by some on here as an “opportunist” and it’s been said he “puts himself in good positions to win” to minimize his coaching accomplishments. Well, he just rebuilt a program that went 0-10 his 1st year to outscoring the three other preseason favorites (Friendship Christian, USJ, and NCS) 120-21. 

Ive known coach Wade over 40 years and he was my fathers favorite player as a kid because he always gave his best effort and was relentless in his pursuit of winning. He now has his 4th ring as a head  coach and 11th overall so the guy deserves to be mentioned as one of the best in the state. Put away forever all the excuses folks try to use to distract from what the results clearly show. His teams are always disciplined and play an intense, hard nosed style that mirrors their head coach. Sure it takes talent to win but without scheming, preparation, and the complete effort as a program,led by the head coach, gold balls don’t happen. 

One last thing,  and this deserves special mention. I’d like to personally thank my good friend David Braemer, the headmaster at Ensworth. I’ve spent many hours with you over the years watching our daughters play soccer all over the US. When DCAs TN hall of fame coach Dennis Goodwin retired we discussed Paul Wade. You told me how Paul would be a “great fit at DCA.” What I told you very bluntly was he was a great fit anywhere and that you guys (Ensworth), including Ricky Bower’s, made a HUGE mistake by not hiring him as your head coach. Looks like we were both right. 

Congrats to NCS on a great season and to coach Brothers on building your program into a perennial contender.  Congrats to Coach Wade, his staff, and the players on a remarkable and magical season.

Edited by Playerscoach
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

I wasn’t surprised because I expected this game to be similar with the running games and turnovers as well as special teams returns. The difference that I was curious to see was what would happen on a dry field because DCAs passing attack led by Gaines, Sneed, and Maglia is excellent. Not to mention an O-line led IMO by the best center in the history of the school in Aiden Francis opened holes and protected very well. 

When Paul Wade came to DCA four years ago I believed the talent was there to win a gold ball and said so on here. He started four 8th graders on his first team and all four were major contributors this year. Add in a handful of players that came to DCA to play for a guy who had 10 rings and the potential was there for this result. Coach Wade methodically and meticulously built this team from the ground up. 

Wade has been called by some on here as an “opportunist” and it’s been said he “puts himself in good positions to win” to minimize his coaching accomplishments. Well, he just rebuilt a program that went 0-10 his 1st year to outscoring the three other preseason favorites (Friendship Christian, USJ, and NCS) 120-21. 

Ive known coach Wade over 40 years and he was my fathers favorite player as a kid because he always gave his best effort and was relentless in his pursuit of winning. He now has his 4th ring as a head  coach and 11th overall so the guy deserves to be mentioned as one of the best in the state. Put away forever all the excuses folks try to use to distract from what the results clearly show. His teams are always disciplined and play an intense, hard nosed style that mirrors their head coach. Sure it takes talent to win but without scheming, preparation, and the complete effort as a program,led by the head coach, gold balls don’t happen. 

One last thing,  and this deserves special mention. I’d like to personally thank my good friend David Braemer, the headmaster at Ensworth. I’ve spent many hours with you over the years watching our daughters play soccer all over the US. When DCAs TN hall of fame coach Dennis Goodwin retired we discussed Paul Wade. You told me how Paul would be a “great fit at DCA.” What I told you very bluntly was he was a great fit anywhere and that you guys (Ensworth), including Ricky Bower’s, made a HUGE mistake by not hiring him as your head coach. Looks like we were both right. 

Congrats to NCS on a great season and to coach Brothers on building your program into a perennial contender.  Congrats to Coach Wade, his staff, and the players on a remarkable and magical season.

The 16 points we scored on them at the first of the season with a team learning a new offense, does not look so bad now. Appreciate your insight into the program and coach.

• Like 1

Congrats to DCA and that community for bringing home the game ball. I have to say a state championship game like this was really taken away by the officiating, NCS having two touchdowns called back, 40 plus yard run by Josh Strickland Jr, and a 80 plus kickoff return by Jaelyn Marsh was by far the true turning point of the game. Potentially being tied 14-14 going into the half and NCS getting the ball back really changes a lot of things IMO.

But like I stated congrats to those seniors of DCA the true meaning of buying in and not given up after going 0-10 three years ago, to winning a state championship! Congrats!!! 

6 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

Good post.  I am one who has always thought that Paul Wade has always found a way to put himself in good situations.  I stand by that sentiment.  But, I also recognize that the man knows what he is doing and understands the game & how to put himself in good situations.  That is part of the coaching job game.  

He is also a great OL coach.  It appears he surrounded himself with some quality people and assistant coaches to get back where they are today.  He inherited a good situation at DCA and Coach Dennis Goodwin is/was as good as they come.  His 0-10 year was not attributed to Coach Goodwin leaving an empty cupboard, it was just a year that DCA had few numbers to work with.  You don't go from State Title appearance one year to 0-10 the next year because it is broken.  it is because of lack of players to compete (youth).  It happens. The kids and coaches persevered and got it done.  Kudos to all involved.  

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 12:01 PM, ocac said:

Good post.  I am one who has always thought that Paul Wade has always found a way to put himself in good situations.  I stand by that sentiment.  But, I also recognize that the man knows what he is doing and understands the game & how to put himself in good situations.  That is part of the coaching job game.  

He is also a great OL coach.  It appears he surrounded himself with some quality people and assistant coaches to get back where they are today.  He inherited a good situation at DCA and Coach Dennis Goodwin is/was as good as they come.  His 0-10 year was not attributed to Coach Goodwin leaving an empty cupboard, it was just a year that DCA had few numbers to work with.  You don't go from State Title appearance one year to 0-10 the next year because it is broken.  it is because of lack of players to compete (youth).  It happens. The kids and coaches persevered and got it done.  Kudos to all involved.  

DCA is LUCKY Paul Wade is their HC and, for their sake, continues to be for an extended period of time.

Congrats to CPW and the Wildcats on another Championship.

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, Sackmaster50 said:

DCA is LUCKY Paul Wade is their HC and, for their sake, continues to be for an extended period of time.

Congrats to CPW and the Wildcats on another Championship.

Paul Wade is a very good coach.  Good play caller.  From the few games I got to watch, DCA defense was very good as well.  They fly to the ball.