OFFICIATING

GREYRIDERx

Officials for the playoffs are assigned by TSSAA (Regular season they're assigned by your regional association supervisor)...your regular regional association if not assigned else where are typically assigned as a chain crew, etc...within their association. Host school covers cost plus mileage for officials off the top of gate $.

Edited by cherokean

Just a few observations:

1.  In the past (30+ Years ago) officials were often former college players that were professional (judges, businessmen, local politicians, ministers, physicians, dentists, etc…) people in their everyday life.  These men did make a few dollars on Friday evenings but they also really enjoyed being around each other and giving back to the game. 

2.  I see so many officials that are 50+ pounds overweight (obese) and they are so out of condition that they can’t get into the proper position to get a great view of the play.  They are forced to guess what happened on the play.  

3.  Due to so many of these officials being so out of condition it’s just a matter of time before we lose some of these officials during a game.

4.  Today I see a lot of what I often refer to as professional amateur officials.  They don’t have “real Job” and their sole source of income is coming from officiating.  Many times these guys never even played the sport in middle school.  They do Jr Pro games on Saturday, JV games on Monday, Freshmen games on Thursday and high school varsity games on Friday. They will move on to basketball during the winter and baseball during the spring doing the exact same thing.   

5.  Because these officials often never played the sport that they are officiating they do not have a solid foundation base for the sport.  Not playing the sport combined with very little professional officiating training leads to bad habits being formed which leads to incorrect calls being made during the games.  

6.  I ask the question, do the various officiating crews ever reach out to the college players that are seniors to try and get them into officiating high school games? How much training do the current officials receive each season and who is doing the instruction.  Are the top high school officials in the country being brought in to do a workshop or is it some local guy that is only marginal at best

7.  It’s obvious that the “good ole boy system” is very live and well in the high school officiating business.  When watching the state championship games I have often noticed that the crews that work the regular season games are much better than what I am watching.  Again, people are being rewarded due to who they know not on ability!  

8.  Could it be that the best young guys don’t get into officiating because they don’t want to deal with the local politics of the “GOOD OLE BOY SYSTEM”

I will finish by saying not all of the high school officials are bad but there are enough of the bad ones that they overshadow the good officials and make the crew look terrible.  

Edited by cbg

7 hours ago, cbg said:

Just a few observations:

1.  In the past (30+ Years ago) officials were often former college players that were professional (judges, businessmen, local politicians, ministers, physicians, dentists, etc…) people in their everyday life.  These men did make a few dollars on Friday evenings but they also really enjoyed being around each other and giving back to the game. 

2.  I see so many officials that are 50+ pounds overweight (obese) and they are so out of condition that they can’t get into the proper position to get a great view of the play.  They are forced to guess what happened on the play.  

3.  Due to so many of these officials being so out of condition it’s just a matter of time before we lose some of these officials during a game.

4.  Today I see a lot of what I often refer to as professional amateur officials.  They don’t have “real Job” and their sole source of income is coming from officiating.  Many times these guys never even played the sport in middle school.  They do Jr Pro games on Saturday, JV games on Monday, Freshmen games on Thursday and high school varsity games on Friday. They will move on to basketball during the winter and baseball during the spring doing the exact same thing.   

5.  Because these officials often never played the sport that they are officiating they do not have a solid foundation base for the sport.  Not playing the sport combined with very little professional officiating training leads to bad habits being formed which leads to incorrect calls being made during the games.  

6.  I ask the question, do the various officiating crews ever reach out to the college players that are seniors to try and get them into officiating high school games? How much training do the current officials receive each season and who is doing the instruction.  Are the top high school officials in the country being brought in to do a workshop or is it some local guy that is only marginal at best

7.  It’s obvious that the “good ole boy system” is very live and well in the high school officiating business.  When watching the state championship games I have often noticed that the crews that work the regular season games are much better than what I am watching.  Again, people are being rewarded due to who they know not on ability!  

8.  Could it be that the best young guys don’t get into officiating because they don’t want to deal with the local politics of the “GOOD OLE BOY SYSTEM”

I will finish by saying not all of the high school officials are bad but there are enough of the bad ones that they overshadow the good officials and make the crew look terrible.  

Yep

The "Good ole boy system" is what is screwing up the state. It's not the players and coaches. If an official quits because of a player and/or coach disagree with a call, say something he/she should not have said, then the official is sensitive. Football is an emotional sport. There's so many hours coaches put into the offseason and during game week. If they believe a call didn't go their way, of course they're going to be upset.

I do believe the politics or "good ole boy system" is why some officials are leaving the sport. It can't be the fans because they're a distance from the field. Football is not basketball. Football isn't the money making sport in the fall. That sport goes to volleyball. If the "fans" are reasons why officials are leaving in football, then the official has some good rabbit ears.

Some of the younger officials that have ambition are probably getting scooped up by college associations. Obviously, they need to be in shape to do so. The only requirement I have for an official is they need to be in the gym during the offseason. If an officials isn't getting in shape during the offseason, then they're doing the game a disservice. They do have time to get into the gym during the offseason (they do have time to call football games, right). But if they're not doing anything to improve themselves as an official during the offseason, then shame on them because coaches and players are doing something in the offseason.

The football crews you'll see in Chattanooga aren't your best officials in the state. They're the officials that put in the time to the game, so officiating the game is just an award for them. It's not earned.

They have a tough job and they don't have replay to lean on. However, the politics is killing the officiating side of things, I don't think it's the "players, coaches, and fans" as what some of these guys said. Especially in football.

8 hours ago, cbg said:

Just a few observations:

Hang this post in the Louvre. 
So many DO quit because they won’t be put in the field on Friday night. 
Many times, a crew that will work a TV game on Thursday night will be together on another field Friday, leaving seven other guys fuming. 

Nationwide shortage of officials in every sport with games cancelled in several states.  A majority of the officials I saw this year in football are older so the problem is going to get a lot worse in the next 5 to 7 years.  Probably should fire the bottom 30-40% and start playing half of the games on Thursday night.  Move freshman games to a different night or play them on Saturday.  News flash, millennials are not interested in being officials, too much coach and fan abuse.  

Well the QB was down and clearly wasn't a fumble, they held Burks which allowed them to walk into the end zone untouched on that first TD, two really bad spots, allowed the game to turn into a rugby match one time when Vaughn ran the ball. Number 26 got away with murder right in front of the official. That's how I saw it. And if anybody don't like this your the one with the problem not me.

Problem is TSSAA. When they defend referees, umpires etc even when they are wrong they destroy the accountability. I referee and umpire. I hate to hear the "can't get refs because of fans". Bull can't because theirs no accountability and good ones are rewarded and are stuck cleaning up for TSSAA putting subpar guys on the fields. Refs and umps who love and respect the players and the game still are appreciated by coaches, players and fans but shocking not TSSAA officials. Refs and umps don't even get passes to go watch games.