OFFICIATING

GREYRIDERx

I love how Maryville shows class. Did you see when Maryville tackled Oakland James, Paterson etc? Maryville players helped them up. I do love the respect between the two teams. Both teams gave it their all! However I’m all for high school instant replay. Just my opinion example- Maryville QB Carson Jones did not fumble, the ground/turf can not cause a fumble. That should have been overturned. Maryville was marching and would have scored on that series. I try to not blame the refs for making bad calls, but I have watched the game a total of 3 times now. I have it recorded and played it in slow motion. I’m blown away at calls and missed calls! We need to implement instant replay, also the refs should be held more accountable for their calls. This is my personal opinion! I’m going to accept the fact that Oakland won. Next year let’s do it again, 4th round playoffs Mighty Maryville and Oakland. My hats off to both power house programs. Good luck Oakland in the state game!! 

3 minutes ago, Tennesseeo1 said:

I love how Maryville shows class. Did you see when Maryville tackled Oakland James, Paterson etc? Maryville players helped them up. I do love the respect between the two teams. Both teams gave it their all! However I’m all for high school instant replay. Just my opinion example- Maryville QB Carson Jones did not fumble, the ground/turf can not cause a fumble. That should have been overturned. Maryville was marching and would have scored on that series. I try to not blame the refs for making bad calls, but I have watched the game a total of 3 times now. I have it recorded and played it in slow motion. I’m blown away at calls and missed calls! We need to implement instant replay, also the refs should be held more accountable for their calls. This is my personal opinion! I’m going to accept the fact that Oakland won. Next year let’s do it again, 4th round playoffs Mighty Maryville and Oakland. My hats off to both power house programs. Good luck Oakland in the state game!! 

You do realize that you having to watch the game 3 times and in slow motion(your words) to see penalties is not the same as a ref having to make a call on the fly. Guess what stuff happens. 1 or 3 calls do not decide a game that has over a 140 plays in it. 

Edited by Facts4You
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Facts4You said:

You do realize that you having to watch the game 3 times and in slow motion(your words) to see penalties is not the same as a ref having to make a call on the fly. Guess what stuff happens. 1 or 3 calls do not decide a game that has over a 140 plays in it. 

I watched it live last night, and I saw it in real time. I was blown away setting in the stands! So I came home and watched it on my computer 2 more times. Guess what I was right on the bad calls. Like I said it’s my personal opinion. Sir I don’t agree with your opinion. We can agree to disagree. Tight games like that refs need instant replay, because yes they are only human and they make mistakes too. I don’t care about 140 plays. The momentum changes when bad calls are made in a tight game. 

12 minutes ago, Tennesseeo1 said:

I watched it live last night, and I saw it in real time. I was blown away setting in the stands! So I came home and watched it on my computer 2 more times. Guess what I was right on the bad calls. Like I said it’s my personal opinion. Sir I don’t agree with your opinion. We can agree to disagree. Tight games like that refs need instant replay, because yes they are only human and they make mistakes too. I don’t care about 140 plays. The momentum changes when bad calls are made in a tight game. 

Your response here sounds like sour grapes because your team took an L. If you want to improve officiating then join the cause. Otherwise learn the game, because your team had over 100 other plays to make sure their season didn’t end last night. Enjoy basketball season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tennesseeo1 said:

How many plays last night, that you questioned, would be considered reviewable?  I can only think of the fumble on the MHS QB and maybe a spot or two.  Plus, schools simply do not have enough cameras to provide all the angles needed to make accurate calls.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Facts4You said:

Your response here sounds like sour grapes because your team took an L. If you want to improve officiating then join the cause. Otherwise learn the game, because your team had over 100 other plays to make sure their season didn’t end last night. Enjoy basketball season.

I played college football! I know the game inside and out. I know about momentum changers, and no I’m not sour grapes! I’m going to watch Maryville win their 18th state championship next year. You enjoy your day because I sure am. 

There have been some guys post on this thread who seemed like they may have been officials at one time or another. I have a question. Are the officials trained on 1st and 2nd down plays to mark the ball on the lines even when the ball should be marked between the lines? I’ve noticed that more and more the last two years and I watched it all day today. It seems to happen every time there is a change of possession.

41 minutes ago, BroadwayBarberShop said:

I wouldn’t say that it’s trained, but that’s the way I always did it. 
Every “unquestioned” first down and change of possession….on the hash. 

It makes sense but I had never noticed. It must cut down on the need for measurements. Never too old to learn I guess. Thank you Sir!

Edited by strongx

52 minutes ago, rollnoles said:

Have you been a official before. 

Have you ? I'm sure you'd give Maryville a fair shake if you were , even though you troll every chance you get on a Maryville thread . Winning brings out the haters ... sure Maryville has lost the Last 2 years to Oakland but that doesn't change the fact that over the last 25 years Maryville has ended a lot of dreams . What haters don't realize is that at Maryville we can congratulate Oakland and start thinking about next year already , because every Coach , Player and Maryville fan knows we'll be in the Hunt ( no pun intended ) again next year ... and it'll take another Great team like Oakland to beat us again next year . 

Wow, lots of post about the terrible officiating and shoulda, coulda woulda's, that screwed our team....this is not directed at Maryville but complainers in general,  I bet there wasn't a handful of post saying the same thing in games when they were the benefactor of these bad calls. The truth is it goes both ways, you will be the beneficiary of calls both in your favor and against you all year long. Bad calls don't only exist in the playoffs and don't change momentum only in big games. For those that played at any level, understand that overcoming adversity is what defines championship season.  

Edited by Blaze45
  • Like 2