2021-4A Championship Game Tullahoma vs Elizabethton

TTownFan50

Most probably won’t care about this, but maybe someone will find it interesting. Prior to 1990, Georgia had only 4 classes (unlike Tennessee in Georgia you don’t have separate classes for football and other sports.) You had 8 regions in each class, Regions 1-4 were South Ga., 5-8 North Ga. The North and South champions met in the state final. Starting in 1990, the playoffs expanded and you went North vs. South in the semifinals. A couple of years later, you went in the quarterfinals. Now, outside of Round 1 where you rotate opening with a different North region each year, North-South means nothing. You can play a South Ga. team in Round 2. There are now 8 sets of playoffs in Georgia, due to 1A being divided in half. The growth of Metro Atlanta has changed things as well. In Class 7A, there is only one South Ga. region, and it only contains 5 schools. The rest of the regions are all Metro Atlanta schools. Years ago, a program I was with played a team from our region in the state semifinals. There have been several times when 2 teams from the same region met in the state championship game. Every state seems to do playoffs different. In the 80’s, the Ringgold and Rossville girls basketball teams played 6 times in one season, 2 regular season games, Thanksgiving tournament, sub-region championship, region championship, state championship game. Ringgold won the first 5, only to lose the most important one, the state championship game.

• Thanks 2

On 12/6/2021 at 2:35 PM, hollowman said:

I apologize on behalf of Tullahoma from Southern Middle TN to have disrupted y'all's little streak.

Streak-A series of consecutive successes. Meaning, more than one. 

On 12/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, hollowman said:

....and Tullahoma proved who the more physical team is.  

Not sure I agree. Looking at the size advantage Tully had on both sides of the line, and how difficult it was for them to do anything all day long, and how limited BOTH teams were, I’d say it was pretty even, maybe tilted to E-Town 51% to 49%? A lot of people thought Tully would bully us with their size and athleticism. Which they had in droves! Didn’t happen. The Betsy boys showed grit, technique and toughness. When it comes down to it, coach Olive nailed it on his last show, the 5th Quarter. Tully made 1 more play than Betsy did. That’s the only difference. If Betsy would have pulled it off, coach Olive would have been answering questions about why he didn’t kick a field goal on 4th and goal from the 1near the end of the game. And again, he said as much on his show. But, it’s a mute point. The winner doesn’t have to rethink its decisions and the 2nd place team will never stop thinking about them. Another life lesson brought to you by the greatest game in sports. Who was more physical? Not necessarily the winner I say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Most probably won’t care about this, but maybe someone will find it interesting. Prior to 1990, Georgia had only 4 classes (unlike Tennessee in Georgia you don’t have separate classes for football and other sports.) You had 8 regions in each class, Regions 1-4 were South Ga., 5-8 North Ga. The North and South champions met in the state final. Starting in 1990, the playoffs expanded and you went North vs. South in the semifinals. A couple of years later, you went in the quarterfinals. Now, outside of Round 1 where you rotate opening with a different North region each year, North-South means nothing. You can play a South Ga. team in Round 2. There are now 8 sets of playoffs in Georgia, due to 1A being divided in half. The growth of Metro Atlanta has changed things as well. In Class 7A, there is only one South Ga. region, and it only contains 5 schools. The rest of the regions are all Metro Atlanta schools. Years ago, a program I was with played a team from our region in the state semifinals. There have been several times when 2 teams from the same region met in the state championship game. Every state seems to do playoffs different. In the 80’s, the Ringgold and Rossville girls basketball teams played 6 times in one season, 2 regular season games, Thanksgiving tournament, sub-region championship, region championship, state championship game. Ringgold won the first 5, only to lose the most important one, the state championship game.

Very informative post…Thanks!!

11 hours ago, BigDaddyDave said:

Streak-A series of consecutive successes. Meaning, more than one. 

Not sure I agree. Looking at the size advantage Tully had on both sides of the line, and how difficult it was for them to do anything all day long, and how limited BOTH teams were, I’d say it was pretty even, maybe tilted to E-Town 51% to 49%? A lot of people thought Tully would bully us with their size and athleticism. Which they had in droves! Didn’t happen. The Betsy boys showed grit, technique and toughness. When it comes down to it, coach Olive nailed it on his last show, the 5th Quarter. Tully made 1 more play than Betsy did. That’s the only difference. If Betsy would have pulled it off, coach Olive would have been answering questions about why he didn’t kick a field goal on 4th and goal from the 1near the end of the game. And again, he said as much on his show. But, it’s a mute point. The winner doesn’t have to rethink its decisions and the 2nd place team will never stop thinking about them. Another life lesson brought to you by the greatest game in sports. Who was more physical? Not necessarily the winner I say.

I will be honest I didn’t see a big size advantage for Tullahoma, would be nice to compare rosters and see.  But Tullahoma’s defense was the difference.  Tullahoma offense had the ball 18:51 minutes, 49 plays, 337 yards of offense and 21 points.  Elizabethton had the ball 29:09, 72 plays, 300 yards of offense and 14 points.   Elizabethton’s defense should have been fresh in overtime since they were on the field only 18:51; yet, Tullahoma scored on 1 play in first overtime.  Tullahoma’s defense won the game, there is no tilt towards Elizabethton….in fact i remember someone saying that “you know what we do can you stop it” and Tullahoma’s defense did just that.  I will end this with the fact that I was impressed with how well Elizabthton played on both sides of the ball, awesome job what they accomplished over the last 3 years; but the 2021 Tullahoma Wildcats is the best team. By the way, this fan was fine with the 4th and 1 call!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, chs1984 said:

How would you guys feel about Tennessee revamping to something like this:

• 8 regions like we have now, determined by geography
  • 4 classes (1A - 4A) based on enrollment
  • Top team in each region/class makes the playoffs resulting in an 8 team per class playoff system resulting in a state champion in each of the 4 classes.
  • Then each state champion enters into a 4 team playoff to determine a final overall state champion.

Lot of pros and cons to this.... Cons are smaller schools will complain about playing the schools with 2000+ students, big schools will complain if they lose to a much smaller school, it would destroy the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality, etc.    Some of the pros are that it would once and for all answer the question of who is the best team in the state regardless of class, there would be no more "Elizabethton is afraid to play Alcoa..." type of questions, teams with losing records would not be in the playoffs, etc.      But this presents a whole new set of problems too, like how would you determine the top team in each region/class if there was a tie.     Maybe we just leave things as they are?      Or should we go the opposite and have 12 classes instead of 6 so we can have 12 state champions?