Westview vs Hampton

Rellim51

55 minutes ago, sportsnutz said:

What are you even talking about? I'm talking matchups and how each team was playing at the end of the season... You are talking about the first game of the year when Huntingdon didn't even have a starting QB yet?

Lmao..

I'm talking 2A football. I'm not even saying Hampton was the best team in the East. They made the championship game, so kudos. My point is that it doesn't matter who HAMPTON played from the West. There were at least 4 teams in the West that would have likely beaten them. The team they played just happened to put a running clock on them.

I said what I said.

Well lets give you another one, Forrest played Riverside real close, Marion beat Forest pretty bad, watertown beat marion, Trousdale laid it on Watertown. You or no one else will earn a Silver ball. Its in the Trophy case at Hampton.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, crow said:

It looked to me like Hampton trying things offensively they weren’t really wanting to do in an attempt to overcome the early lead WV had. If Hampton had stayed in their grind it out power game I’m sure it would’ve been closer and for longer but it seemed the Hampton coach was trying to pull out all the stops if you will to try to get back in the game. Sort of a high risk high reward scenario. It didn’t pan out and ultimately aided in the WV lopsided victory by not keeping their offense off the field but in the end 1 or 50 points an L is an L. No extra credit on the win loss column for keeping it close. Do everything you can to try to win. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. The better team won but at least both players and coaches won’t have any “what if” regrets. Just my take. 

Spot on. Like you said, an L is an L regardless of the score, and Hampton lost ground trying to win rather than "making it look good" and settling for a closer margin. Herm Edwards made it famous..."you play to win the game".

3 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Spot on. Like you said, an L is an L regardless of the score, and Hampton lost ground trying to win rather than "making it look good" and settling for a closer margin. Herm Edwards made it famous..."you play to win the game".

Think most people GETS IT.

6 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

And that's what we came to do...Would love to have stayed in the ground and pound for 3+ qtrs and could have had we not had so many mistakes. It is what it is. 

Edited by uknoit2

13 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

I watched the whole first half.  Those big plays down field by Westview we’re back breakers.  Even more so was the stop on the half yard line before the half.  I was pulling for you Hampton.  That Jones boy sure is tough and leaves it all on the field.  I wish we  had a couple guys like him on our team.  Take away Simpson and Hampton probably wins State.  Simpson is definitely as advertised.  Good luck to him at Bama.  

pretty accurate

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Everything fell just right for Westview. Dropping to 2A helped, but without Simpson it wouldn't have mattered. The Chargers were head and shoulders better this season than in the past 20 or so years, and maybe their best team in wayyy longer than that. As good as Simpson is, the team wouldn't be what they are without him personnel wise either...there were kids on the field this year that wouldn't have been without knowing their odds of a gold ball went through the roof with his talent.

As far as Hampton goes, they don't need validation from outside. They got there by being great at what they do, not by being fancy. Good solid kids playing for each other and doing their job every play, and that wins more often than not. Just as sure as I am that they're disappointed with silver and would love to play the game again, I'm also just as sure that the community couldn't be more proud of them if they'd won. All this hooey about who from the west would've beaten Hampton if they played is not pointless because Hampton lost, it's because their team didn't earn the right to play for the championship and Hampton did. If everybody's opinion was as rock solid as they think there would have been about a 20 way tie in the big ones playoff contest with no wrong picks.

well said 

I love how everyone is acting like the West was unassailable and immortal this year.

The East has TC, Watertown, Meigs and Marion kicking the crap out of each other for 2 months. Only one team makes it to Chatty, and this year it was Hampton.  Show respect.

You think a healthy Marion, TC,  or Watertown couldn't be competitive with any West team? You're naive if that's your take.

I think Tyner could've hung with West teams. Oneida and South Greene were good too. 

It's just a stupid road to go down. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pujo said:

Well lets give you another one, Forrest played Riverside real close, Marion beat Forest pretty bad, watertown beat marion, Trousdale laid it on Watertown. You or no one else will earn a Silver ball. Its in the Trophy case at Hampton.

There were 1000 details and injuries involved too. TC had guys go down. Marion had a much less than 100% QB. Think Forrest would like to have that game back? Watertown lost to Gordy, I'm sure they'd like another shot. With TC too.  Meigs was DOMINANT for 3/4 of the year and didn't even make semis. It was a crazy season but Hampton deserves credit. So does Westview, obviously. 

• Like 1