East Nashville vs Alcoa 3a Championship

EastNasty

47 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

sounds like it would be a fun match up!  fingers crossed...

I think LA surprised Oakland and led most of the game but couldn't quite pull it out.  LA also mercy ruled the Arkansas state champ, Pulaski Academy.  I am a LA dad, so not totally objective, but I think they could have beaten any team in the state this year. as for CPA being too 1 dimensional, they came closer to beating Oakland than any other team including Maryville.

in any case, Alcoa really has an impressive track record and has a lot to be proud of.  congrats!!

Oh yea, LA is a fabulous team under Coach Trent Dilfer! One of best teams I watched in years! You have to be a very proud Dad! Best of luck to your son in the future!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theawesomebro said:

sounds like it would be a fun match up!  fingers crossed...

I think LA surprised Oakland and led most of the game but couldn't quite pull it out.  LA also mercy ruled the Arkansas state champ, Pulaski Academy.  I am a LA dad, so not totally objective, but I think they could have beaten any team in the state this year. as for CPA being too 1 dimensional, they came closer to beating Oakland than any other team including Maryville.

in any case, Alcoa really has an impressive track record and has a lot to be proud of.  congrats!!

You asked the question and I simply answered it the best way I could. The CPA team that I watched Thursday would not fare well against Alcoa. I will also say that Alcoa would have had to play much better than they did yesterday. Not knocking EN, but it was a bit of a snoozer and it showed in our play. Not sure what the Oakland game would have to do with Alcoa as the matchups are totally different. 

Have a nice day!:thumb:

Edited by Throwdeslant

2 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

IMHO, LA would be a great matchup. However, CPA was too one dimensional. I haven’t watched much of them this year, so I’m not sure if it was just their game plan for the championship game or just how they’ve typically played this year…

I appreciate your response because I wanted to know more about Alcoa.   You said you had not watched CPA much so I was just responding to that.  no offense meant.  : )  I am not a CPA fan but I sure respect them and know they can beat almost anyone pounding the ball.  I was just pointing out that not even Oakland was able to stop them.

Edited by theawesomebro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

I appreciate your response because I wanted to know more about Alcoa.   You said you had not watched CPA much so I was just responding to that.  no offense meant.  : )  I am not a CPA fan but I sure respect them and know they can beat almost anyone pounding the ball.  I was just pointing out that not even Oakland was able to stop them.

No worries! I was impressed with LA, especially your QB. Great athlete! I am fully aware of CPA. We’ve had some great games against them. Also had some great games with LA. Would like to get a few privates back on our schedule. Always enjoy games with privates. Just good football all around. :thumb:

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 6:14 AM, Playerscoach said:

He’s said for years he will coach until he dies. I’d bet he won’t be back at Alcoa but will instead be coaching at a private school somewhere next year. 

I don't see him leaving Alcoa for another job.  I have said it for years.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Alcoa has won State Championships in 15 of the last 18 years now and that doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.  Coach Rankin now has won 13 State Championships at Alcoa and he's captured 17 State Championships overall.  Any coach as great as Gary Rankin has to have somewhat of an ego.  I've mentioned it on other threads and I'll post it now on this thread because I truly believe that it is a race to further pad a championship resume that's in "all-time" conversations.  I believe he will reach 20 State Championships & 500+ Wins before he even considers leaving Alcoa.    

High School Football Career Coaching Victories:  ALL-TIME (Nationally):

1.)  John McKissick (SC):  621 wins

2.)  J.T. Curtis (LA):  603 wins = STILL ACTIVE

3.)  Mike Smith (VA):  506 wins = STILL ACTIVE

4.)  Bob Hyland (WI):  496 wins = STILL ACTIVE

5.)  Phil Danaher (TX):  490 wins = STILL ACTIVE

6.)  Larry Campbell (GA):  477 wins

7.)  Jim Roth (PA):  470 wins = STILL ACTIVE (Southern Columbia plays Serra Catholic in the State Championship next weekend)

8.)  Gary Rankin (TN):  467 wins = STILL ACTIVE

9.)  Charles Rogers (FL):  466 wins

9.)  Phillip Haywood (KY):  466 wins = STILL ACTIVE

11.)  Bill Castle (FL):  459 wins = STILL ACTIVE

12.)  George Curry (PA):  455 wins

It's not too far fetched to believe that Coach Rankin could move up to #6 on the All-Time Victories List if Alcoa has another "Alcoa Type of Year" in 2022.  The pace that he's set in the state of Tennessee is basically untouchable and I don't see anyone catching him anytime soon.  Alcoa was already a great football program when he took over there in 2006.  13 State Championship victories later Alcoa has went from a state power, to a regional power, to now being a national power.  

Edited by howdoitknow
Additional Information

21 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

I don't see him leaving Alcoa for another job.  I have said it for years.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Alcoa has won State Championships in 15 of the last 18 years now and that doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.  Coach Rankin now has won 13 State Championships at Alcoa and he's captured 17 State Championships overall.  Any coach as great as Gary Rankin has to have somewhat of an ego.  I've mentioned it on other threads and I'll post it now on this thread because I truly believe that it is a race to further pad a championship resume that's in "all-time" conversations.  I believe he will reach 20 State Championships & 500+ Wins before he even considers leaving Alcoa.    

7.)  Jim Roth (PA):  470 wins = STILL ACTIVE (Southern Columbia plays Serra Catholic in the State Championship next weekend)

10.)  Phillip Haywood (KY):  464 wins = STILL ACTIVE (Belfry plays Paducah-Tilgman today in the State Championship)

It's not too far fetched to believe that Coach Rankin could move up to #6 on the All-Time Victories List if Alcoa has another "Alcoa Type of Year" in 2022.  The pace that he's set in the state of Tennessee is basically untouchable and I don't see anyone catching him anytime soon.  Alcoa was already a great football program when he took over there in 2006.  13 State Championship victories later Alcoa has went from a state power, to a regional power, to now being a national power.  

I get what you’re saying and it’s plausible but it’s what he decides he will do. He can go to a private school that will win and do just the same. If Dilfer leaves Lipscomb I think he’d be the favorite to replace him. I’d also think the odds of him finishing his career at Alcoa as being low. 

Edited by Playerscoach

3 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

10.)  Phillip Haywood (KY):  464 wins = STILL ACTIVE (Belfry plays Paducah-Tilgman today in the State Championship)

I honestly hope he stays at Alcoa no matter what the whispers are.

11 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

9.). Phillip Haywood (KY):  466 wins = STILL ACTIVE 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kentucky.com/sports/high-school/article256263067.html

Updated.  

21 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

9.)  Phillip Haywood (KY):  466 wins = STILL ACTIVE

I think it comes down to the Coaches and Staff that have been at Alcoa even before Coach Rankin got to Alcoa being approached every year about higher coaching positions elsewhere. No one wants Rankin to leave, but they don't want many of the supporting coaches to leave for other opportunities.  The coordinators and positions coaches are very tight. One leaves WILL take 90% of the staff with him. The staff has as much to do with Alcoa's success as Coach Rankin.

Coach Rankin won his 17th State Championship. 

Coach Nix and Gamble won their 15th.