East Nashville vs Alcoa 3a Championship

EastNasty

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

What I saw was Arcentae Broome and Frederick Burnette tied for it. If they picked Stewart also that would make 3 of 13 coaches being coach of the year. Might as well give them all a ribbon if that is the case.

Now, it’s beginning to sound like a popularity contest…. Anyway congrats to ALL who got the award. I’m sure that all deserved it.:thumb:

On 12/7/2021 at 4:59 PM, chs1984 said:

My two cents: You don’t judge Coach Rankin by Alcoa. He walked into a gold mine, and managed to make it even better. Rather, you judge Coach Rankin by Smith Co. and Riverdale. Smith Co. had been irrelevant forever when he took over, and went 0-10 his first season. He used his own money, and he and his staff did the labor, to build the school’s first weight room. His final 2 seasons there they were 10-0. When he arrived in Murfreesboro to interview for the Riverdale job, a car had taken out a power pole in front of the school and the lights were out. Rankin and the principal got a booth at a nearby Shoney’s, and he sold the principal on his vision for the program and was hired on the spot. Riverdale had been open 18 years at the time and had never advanced past the 2nd Round of the playoffs. After going 4-6 in year one, they were 10-0 in year two, but were upset in the 1st Round of the playoffs. The next year it was 10-0 again, this time they made it to Rd. 3 before losing at eventual state runner-up Clinton. (Their Rd. 2 win was 26-14 over my Cleveland Blue Raiders.) The following year was supposed to be a major rebuild, plus Rankin was forced to dismiss several starters from the team, and they cried all the way to the first ever 5A championship game, which they lost to Lincoln Co. The next year they broke through, going 15-0 and finishing in the Top Ten nationally in most every poll. You guys pretty much know the rest of the story. 

I would agree with a lot of this post.  Coach Rankin took Alcoa to another level.  What he did at Smith County in the 80s and at Riverdale throughout the 90s was incredible.  

Now that Southern Columbia, PA and Belfry, KY are finished and have both captured State Championships this year here are the updated All-Time Coaching Wins Totals as of the end of 2021:

1.). John McKissick (SC):  621 wins

2.). *JT Curtis (LA):  603 wins

3.). *Mike Smith (VA):  506 wins

4.). *Bob Hyland (WI):  496 wins

5.). *Phillip Danaher (TX):  490 wins

6.). Larry Campbell (GA):  477 wins

7.). *Jim Roth (PA):  471 wins

8.). *Gary Rankin (TN):  467 wins

9.). *Phillip Haywood (KY):  466 wins

9.). Charles Rogers (FL):  466 wins

11.). *Bill Castle (FL):  459 wins

12.). George Curry (PA):  455 wins

The coaches with a * next to their names are still active as of the end of the 2021 season.  With the way that Alcoa’s roster was dominated by sophomores this year they could easily go 14-1 or 15-0 the next two years.  I could see Gary Rankin’s overall win total being between 495-497 at the end of the 2023 season.  That would easily put him on pace to reach the 500 win plateau sometime during the 2024 regular season.  

Alcoa Football will probably have 22 State Championships and by that time.  It’s just going to become an even greater stat as time progresses.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 6:44 PM, howdoitknow said:

I would agree with a lot of this post.  Coach Rankin took Alcoa to another level.  What he did at Smith County in the 80s and at Riverdale throughout the 90s was incredible.  

Now that Southern Columbia, PA and Belfry, KY are finished and have both captured State Championships this year here are the updated All-Time Coaching Wins Totals as of the end of 2021:

1.). John McKissick (SC):  621 wins

2.). *JT Curtis (LA):  603 wins

3.). *Mike Smith (VA):  506 wins

4.). *Bob Hyland (WI):  496 wins

5.). *Phillip Danaher (TX):  490 wins

6.). Larry Campbell (GA):  477 wins

7.). *Jim Roth (PA):  471 wins

8.). *Gary Rankin (TN):  467 wins

9.). *Phillip Haywood (KY):  466 wins

9.). Charles Rogers (FL):  466 wins

11.). *Bill Castle (FL):  459 wins

12.). George Curry (PA):  455 wins

The coaches with a * next to their names are still active as of the end of the 2021 season.  With the way that Alcoa’s roster was dominated by sophomores this year they could easily go 14-1 or 15-0 the next two years.  I could see Gary Rankin’s overall win total being between 495-497 at the end of the 2023 season.  That would easily put him on pace to reach the 500 win plateau sometime during the 2024 regular season.  

Alcoa Football will probably have 22 State Championships and by that time.  It’s just going to become an even greater stat as time progresses.  

If he’s ready to leave and finds a school he can win at Alcoas roster doesn’t matter. Him leaving after this year has been speculated by some for a while now. That speculation has been pretty specific and has come from many different folks.  Look for a private school in middle TN or Chattanooga he can win at as his next stop if there’s one available. 

Edited by Playerscoach

On 12/7/2021 at 2:30 PM, BCsportsfan said:

Just goes to show you have no clue about the Alcoa Community and Fans. To us, you sound like an idiot!

TyroneBiggums <<<<<<IDIOT!:lol:

It was a simple question you could not answer. I give credit were credit is due. I know more about Alcoa and the community than you realize. You indicate Alcoa was at same level before Rankin and that’s not the case. Is there an assistant that could carry on after he leaves? Im sure there is but it’s not a guarantee. Telling yourself it is ignorance at its finest. Carry on kinfolk. Carry on. Im just keeping it real

On 12/19/2021 at 5:18 AM, Playerscoach said:

If he’s ready to leave and finds a school he can win at Alcoas roster doesn’t matter. Him leaving after this year has been speculated by some for a while now. That speculation has been pretty specific and has come from many different folks.  Look for a private school in middle TN or Chattanooga he can win at as his next stop if there’s one available. 

Alcoa is locked and loaded for the next few years no doubt.