Page vs Powell for the Gold Ball

Pizzpatriot2

35 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

His brother is definitely going to play P5 football in a few years. Warren is just a freshman and has been incredible at tackle this year. I'm sure the family will be moving to College Station soon. I would be shocked if they stay in the area.

Hearing the same.  

18 minutes ago, Knoxvegas865 said:

I’m excited for Powell and Matt Lowe. I remember the HC vs Powell game for State in 11-12 it was a heart breaker. HC looked unstoppable that year but Powell ran all over them but had some bad snaps and a fumble at the end to lose. I think this powell team is loaded with talent but the scheme of Pages air raid and McNamara’s ability to make plays will be hard to stop. I think Powell will need to use some of their receivers on defense to cover their speedy Wrs and run the ball down Pages throat like HC did except don’t score so fast haha. Forcing McNamara to his left seems to work too.

I think both teams defenses struggle in this one because both QB's can move around so well. I don't see Page being able to run the ball, but how will their D-line hold up against Powell's run? There's no telling how this one ends up.

52 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

I think both teams defenses struggle in this one because both QB's can move around so well. I don't see Page being able to run the ball, but how will their D-line hold up against Powell's run? There's no telling how this one ends up.

Powell’s RB Stockton has looked good the last two games against arguably two of the best 5A defenses. Hoping this looks like the Chiefs vs Bucs in the super bowl where Mahomes was running for his life the entire game lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knoxvegas865 said:

Powell’s RB Stockton has looked good the last two games against arguably two of the best 5A defenses. Hoping this looks like the Chiefs vs Bucs in the super bowl where Mahomes was running for his life the entire game lol

I’m feeling a Tennessee / Kentucky game from this season :popcorneater:

8 hours ago, KnoxPhoto said:

Page looks like a solid team. I’ve watched 3 of their games from this season to try and get a feel for the matchup. Genuinely curious, why do you feel the Page D matches up well with Powell on offense? As far as Nolen, he’s definitely not the only guy of concern I’d imagine. From the stats prior to the West game, Nolen and Soles alone had combined for 26 sacks. Even when he’s not making the plays himself, Nolen allows the rest of the guys to play at a much higher level. That’s where he makes the largest impact IMO 

To explain better. I just think the Page defense matches up better from a schematic standpoint. They have at least seen a few teams this year that also run a variation of a spread. Where as Henry County was different then any team they had seen yet. I think they can defend spread teams better, then a team that’s just going to line up and run a smash mouth offense. 

Based on my research they will still have their hands full because Powell has some good athletes, in particular a wide receiver that looks to be pretty dang good. They will still give up some plays, but hopefully can be bend but don’t break. I’m also still assuming the Page offense is going to have to find ways to score points and win the game that way. That’s my biggest concern because that defense on Powell’s side looks really tough well beyond Walter Nolen. I think you said it best. When a team has a dude like that it also makes the other players better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SurfingPatriot786 said:

To explain better. I just think the Page defense matches up better from a schematic standpoint. They have at least seen a few teams this year that also run a variation of a spread. Where as Henry County was different then any team they had seen yet. I think they can defend spread teams better, then a team that’s just going to line up and run a smash mouth offense. 

Based on my research they will still have their hands full because Powell has some good athletes, in particular a wide receiver that looks to be pretty dang good. They will still give up some plays, but hopefully can be bend but don’t break. I’m also still assuming the Page offense is going to have to find ways to score points and win the game that way. That’s my biggest concern because that defense on Powell’s side looks really tough well beyond Walter Nolen. I think you said it best. When a team has a dude like that it also makes the other players better.

They have more than just 1 receiver who is pretty dang good. #11 may not be getting the notoriety that #9 has gotten, but in my humble opinion he’s as good or better than #9 as a HS wideout. Also, #1 & #22 (I think) are very competent HS wideouts that can burn you if you don’t account for them.

Edited by SweetScience

6 hours ago, RiversideP said:

TraderTwo is a Scotts Hill fan if I am certain, why bring suck hostility towards Riverside lol?

Because he's so focused on belittling Lewis County, that he can't see the forest for the trees. If ether of the teams that you or I root for made the state title game, I seriously doubt that we'd be worried about poor mouthing someone else

44 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

They have more than just 1 receiver who is pretty dang good. #11 may not be getting the notoriety that #9 has gotten, but in my humble opinion he’s as good or better than #9 as a HS wideout. Also, #1 & #22 (I think) are very competent HS wideouts that can burn you if you don’t account for them.

Yep. Based on receiving stats from 5 Star Preps prior to the West game….

#9 Redmond - 962 yards, 7 tds

#11 Greene - 760 yards, 9 tds

# 2 Collins - 551 yards, 7 tds (I’m sure missing 4 games with injury capped his numbers quite a bit)

This doesn’t include #4 Foust, #22 Magdos, #8 Jervis Brown, or # 3 Jarvis Stockton (out of the backfield). All are guys that can and do make plays. Focus on one, they just go to another option. 

Edited by KnoxPhoto
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SurfingPatriot786 said:

Thanks for the explanation! Friday will be a good one, I think.