Mullins steps down as AD at Oak Ridge

WilleTheWildcat

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

The noose around the next head coach at Oak Ridge is getting tighter. 

My final answer is Coach Witten from Elizabethton to be named after he wins another State Title this week in Chattanooga.

My source...just my gut feeling. Ain't nobody gonna tell me and say keep it quite.

Witten's family has been in Carter County for generations,  I would be very surprised if he would leave all his family and move over 100 miles away just to coach 1 level up......   Meaning he is 4A now and OR is 5A.    Plus it's not like Elizabethton is dropping off, they certainly have a shot at the title next year and even afterwards.   But as they say:      one never knows, do one..?

13 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Witten's family has been in Carter County for generations,  I would be very surprised if he would leave all his family and move over 100 miles away just to coach 1 level up......   Meaning he is 4A now and OR is 5A.    Plus it's not like Elizabethton is dropping off, they certainly have a shot at the title next year and even afterwards.   But as they say:      one never knows, do one..?

I don’t see it either, but I’m guessing OR would be a pretty significant pay hike for him, even if it is only 1 class up. And when someone has a family, like I’m sure he does, that always comes into play. As I said on the other thread, he applied in 2012 when Scott Blade left OR, but of course that was before he started having all the great success he has enjoyed the past 2-3 years. I’ve gotten to the point where I take most things with a grain of salt in the sports world, especially when $$$ is involved, because my personal speculations on things are more times wrong than not. Guess we’ll see.

Elizabethton may pay their teachers more than OR for all I know though, so I may be wrong about that. I’m too lazy to look it up.

Edited by SweetScience

23 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I don’t see it either, but I’m guessing OR would be a pretty significant pay hike for him, even if it is only 1 class up. And when someone has a family, like I’m sure he does, that always comes into play. As I said on the other thread, he applied in 2012 when Scott Blade left OR, but of course that was before he started having all the great success he has enjoyed the past 2-3 years. I’ve gotten to the point where I take most things with a grain of salt in the sports world, especially when $$$ is involved, because my personal speculations on things are more times wrong than not. Guess we’ll see.

Elizabethton may pay their teachers more than OR for all I know though, so I may be wrong about that. I’m too lazy to look it up.

Witten's grandfather coached for years @ Elizabethton, and in 2012 his kids were a lot younger so I don't know man, he might do it but I would still be surprised.    His roots are pretty deep up in this area

This probably has nothing to do with anything but somebody said ORHS would be 6A in a year. Would that entice or chase away some coaches?

Just another thought...would OR look at Private School Head Coaches? It seems Middle Tennessee has some former pro players as head coaches. McCallie's head coach is a proven winner. Just thinking out loud.

Santa should still be in the running.

45 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

This probably has nothing to do with anything but somebody said ORHS would be 6A in a year. Would that entice or chase away some coaches?

Just another thought...would OR look at Private School Head Coaches? It seems Middle Tennessee has some former pro players as head coaches. McCallie's head coach is a proven winner. Just thinking out loud.

Probably a long shot after his unfortunate ordeal @ Catholic, but what about Steve Matthews, former Catholic Coach? I doubt he would be in consideration for the job after what took place when he was Coach there, but keep in mind, him and Gaddis are really close, and JG coached him when he was at Tullahoma. Just throwing it out there.

16 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Most all of the TSSAA D2AAA coaches make in excess of $150,00 per season.  Would Oak Ridge pay that kind of money and then allow the coach to bring in his own coaching staff?  Most of the D2 coaches are allowed to hire and fire their staff as they see fit.  The perfect D2 coach for OR may be Paul Wade at Donelson Christian Academy.  He has won at Davidson Academy, was an assistant to Ricky Bowers at Ensworth and is now winning as the DCA head coach.  I would be shocked if DCA is paying Paul anywhere close to $150,000

Edited by cbg

2 minutes ago, cbg said:

Most all of the TSSAA D2AAA coaches make in excess of $150,00 per season.  Would Oak Ridge pay that kind of money and then allow the coach to bring in his own coaching staff?  Most of the D2 coaches are allowed to hire and fire their staff as they see fit.  The perfect D2 coach for OR may be Paul Wade at Donelson Christian Academy.  He has won at Davidson Academy, was an assistant to Ricky Bowers at Ensworth and is now winning as the DCA head coach.  I would be shocked if DCA is paying Paul anywhere close to $150,000

I am told closer to 120

• Upvote 1