Mullins steps down as AD at Oak Ridge

WilleTheWildcat

11 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I wont pretend to know the teaching laws.But what would stop school systems from adding new rules saying you cant teach at our school and coach at another school.Even if it didnt apply to teachers already under contract it could prevent this in the future.Kind of like how principals at Oak Ridge are not allowed to coach.

Exactly, change the policy to prevent this in the future.  The school board has the ability to change it's own policy.  Plus they have the power to  create and fund a new teaching position or two to help a new coach at least be able to bring a coordinator and a strength coach.  They can and should do these things. But once again,  only if Oak Ridge being excellent at football is a priority.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I wont pretend to know the teaching laws.But what would stop school systems from adding new rules saying you cant teach at our school and coach at another school.Even if it didnt apply to teachers already under contract it could prevent this in the future.Kind of like how principals at Oak Ridge are not allowed to coach.

They can definitely change their policy saying that for hiring someone in the future.  The hiccup would be if a Teacher/Coach that was at OR for 5 years gets tenure and then if they had a bad season or two and let that coach go (which they can on the coaching side) but can't just fire them as a teacher.  Tenure > School Board Policy since it's a State Law that all public schools systems have to follow.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bounder said:

Sounds like when we get a new Head Coach, he won't be able to hire any assistants because all the positions are filled by someone coaching at some other school outside of Oak Ridge and teaching at Oak Ridge.  OH Well!

Bingo! Now you got it Bounder!  The new head coach will be able to bring a coordinator and a strength coach, IF (Big IF) the admin and the school board make it happen.  This is why I continue to say, we are about to find out IF( Big IF ) being good at football is still a priority in the City of Oak Ridge.  They have the ability and the money to make it happen, but WILL they make it happen?   

This would have already been done at schools that are serious about being as good as they can be at football.  It would go something like this. 

HC would say, "I will take this job, But I have to be able to bring in these two guys with me"

Good Admin says, "You got it Coach, we are going to make that happen for you."

Remember, this is a one horse town.  One high school.  The school board can create a teaching position and fund it. The money is in the budget.   This is not rocket science, which is ironic, because OR is known for rocket science.  OR creates world changing technology every day, but we cannot figure this out?  MAKE IT HAPPEN ALREADY!  Only in Oak Ridge!  It's beyond ridiculous. 

Edited by oridgecat

8 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Bingo! Now you got it Bounder!  The new head coach will be able to bring a coordinator and a strength coach, IF (Big IF) the admin and the school board make it happen.  This is why I continue to say, we are about to find out IF( Big IF ) being good at football is still a priority in the City of Oak Ridge.  They have the ability and the money to make it happen, but WILL they make it happen?   

This would have already been done at schools that are serious about being as good as they can be at football.  It would go something like this. 

HC would say, "I will take this job, But I have to be able to bring in these two guys with me"

Good Admin says, "You got it Coach, we are going to make that happen for you."

Remember, this is a one horse town.  One high school.  The school board can create a teaching position and fund it. The money is in the budget.   This is not rocket science, which is ironic, because OR is known for rocket science.  OR creates world changing technology every day, but we cannot figure this out?  MAKE IT HAPPEN ALREADY!  Only in Oak Ridge!  It's beyond ridiculous. 

Its odd because Oak Ridge has such great support and I think a lot of people just assume these things are being done.Too many times its the all about education people that block anything to do with sports.Even though these things wouldnt affect that part at all.We need the names of anybody blocking these things.Too many of us including myself wait for somebody else to do it.Lets put these people on blast and let them know how many care.Give me some names and Ill make some calls and spread the word

12 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Its odd because Oak Ridge has such great support and I think a lot of people just assume these things are being done.Too many times its the all about education people that block anything to do with sports.Even though these things wouldnt affect that part at all.We need the names of anybody blocking these things.Too many of us including myself wait for somebody else to do it.Lets put these people on blast and let them know how many care.Give me some names and Ill make some calls and spread the word

Just type in Oak Ridge Board of Education.  Names and phone numbers all right there. 

We are now up to 7 teaching positions being held by former coaches or guys coaching elsewhere.  4 of the current staff will be joining JM at Hardin Valley.  Saunders and Russell have hung it up.  That leaves us 3 coaches on the current staff, none of which teach school.  Looks to me like the new HC will have to assemble an entire coaching staff with only 1 teaching position open, and that would be Miner's science position.  It's going to be a tough hill to climb. 

Edited by oridgecat

11 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Just type in Oak Ridge Board of Education.  Names and phone numbers all right there. 

We are now up to 7 teaching positions being held by former coaches or guys coaching elsewhere.  4 of the current staff will be joining JM at Hardin Valley.  Saunders and Russell have hung it up.  That leaves us 3 coaches on the current staff, none of which teach school.  Looks to me like the new HC will have to assemble an entire coaching staff with only 1 teaching position open, and that would be Miner's science position.  It's going to be a tough hill to climb. 

SMH! This needs to be addressed now.Thank you for the info

On 12/8/2021 at 8:04 PM, STILLNUM1 said:

On the surface it sounds practical, but if you try and implement policy dictating personal activities after work hours, you'd better consult with the board attorney first. Tell the first year art teacher that they can't paint a mural on their neighbors dining room wall for $50.00 or they'll be fired...sounds "different", but not in the eyes of the labor laws.