Coach John Olive

chs1984

It’s a rare occasion that would cause me to begin a new thread on here, but I feel that this is such an occasion. I have nothing against Elizabethton, but it has been a long time since I have been as happy for a high school coach as I am for Coach John Olive. Although he is given credit for it by diehard Maryville fans, 99% of high school football fans have no idea that Coach Olive is responsible for the Maryville Football Dynasty. Coach Olive served as head coach at Maryville High in the late 80’s and early 90’s when their program had been irrelevant for 15 years. What few times they did qualify for the playoffs, they were blown out in the first round. After the 1990 season, Coach Olive was in the market for a new DC and took a chance by reaching out to longtime Rhea Co. DC Tim Hammontree, who along with HC the late Bill Horton, had just finished an incredible 10 year run that included 2 runner-up finishes in the state’s highest class. Sensing it was time for a change, Hammontree accepted the offer. 2 years later Olive accepted the HC job at Tullahoma. Now, it sounds crazy today to say that a coach would leave Maryville for Tullahoma, but at the time it was seen as a big step up. Maryville promoted Hammontree to HC, and he hired an unknown named George Quarles as OC, and 5 years later Maryville was state champs. Hammontree then left for a job in Georgia, and Quarles was promoted to HC. 15 years later, Quarles had the highest winning percentage in America. I know from communicating with Maryville fans that they have the upmost respect for Coach Olive and are very happy for him Congrats on a job well done!!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, chs1984 said:

It’s a rare occasion that would cause me to begin a new thread on here, but I feel that this is such an occasion. I have nothing against Elizabethton, but it has been a long time since I have been as happy for a high school coach as I am for Coach John Olive. Although he is given credit for it by diehard Maryville fans, 99% of high school football fans have no idea that Coach Olive is responsible for the Maryville Football Dynasty. Coach Olive served as head coach at Maryville High in the late 80’s and early 90’s when their program had been irrelevant for 15 years. What few times they did qualify for the playoffs, they were blown out in the first round. After the 1990 season, Coach Olive was in the market for a new DC and took a chance by reaching out to longtime Rhea Co. DC Tim Hammontree, who along with HC the late Bill Horton, had just finished an incredible 10 year run that included 2 runner-up finishes in the state’s highest class. Sensing it was time for a change, Hammontree accepted the offer. 2 years later Olive accepted the HC job at Tullahoma. Now, it sounds crazy today to say that a coach would leave Maryville for Tullahoma, but at the time it was seen as a big step up. Maryville promoted Hammontree to HC, and he hired an unknown named George Quarles as OC, and 5 years later Maryville was state champs. Hammontree then left for a job in Georgia, and Quarles was promoted to HC. 15 years later, Quarles had the highest winning percentage in America. I know from communicating with Maryville fans that they have the upmost respect for Coach Olive and are very happy for him Congrats on a job well done!!

Great post!  Congratulations to Coach Olive and the Tullahoma Wildcats.

I was so happy for John yesterday. I couldn't watch the game because of work but watched the replay soon as I got home. I know John very well and also knew his parents also. John was one of the captains of the 1975 Maryville Football Team and very well liked by all of his teammates. Tullahoma was an upgrade for sure from Maryville at the time. An old coach of mine told me at breakfast one morning he had to go golfing with the superintendent to ask for a box of lightbulbs without getting turned down so I can't blame him for leaving. Last time I talked with John was five years ago when he was in town one weekend. I know everyone from Maryville that knows John personally was excited for him and the Tullahoma team yesterday.

• Upvote 2

I did not know that story and about the connection to Maryville. Thanks for sharing. 

Congratulations to Coach Olive, the Tullahoma football team, and the whole community. It was so special to watch them pull that win out and see the emotion and excitement from all of them. That’s what high school football is all about. 

• Like 1

Congrats. Everything aligned perfectly for Tullahoma and this was their best year to get the title. Even though my team lost I'm glad you guys won after all you all been through. Lots of seniors. 1st title in 100 years. Bad seasons prior. This year was a dream year for you all and I'm glad to have been able to witness your team. 

Congratulations to Coach John Olive, his staff, his team, and the entire community.  I cannot think of a better way to go out than with a 4A title.
HBC John Olive is among an elite and dwindling group of coaches. Not in terms of W’s & L’s, but in terms of character, integrity, and honesty.  It’s been said many times over since yesterday’s win, it’s the perfect sports story ending!  None classier than Coach O. 

• Like 3

On 12/4/2021 at 3:56 PM, chs1984 said:

Congratulations to the Tullahoma community and to  Coach John Olive. Coach Olive was a coach at Loudon High School in 1983! He helped coach a team that went undefeated and lost in the State Semi-Final. Due to cut-backs in the school system Coach Olive had to leave Loudon High School. He was sadly missed by all players and students!  He was one of the most first class coaches I have ever met in my life! Congratulations Coach on a job WELL DONE!!! The REDSKIN family is proud to say you were once one of us!!! Go Redskins!