2022 5A/6A Region 1 vs. Region 2

blazer1set

In 2021.....

• 6A Maryville beat R1 teams Science Hill, Dobyns Bennett and West Ridge 131-31
  • 5A Knox West and Knox Central beat R1 Daniel Boone and David Crockett 83-20

How do you R2 guys see this playing out next year in 2022?       DB returns a lot of guys, Boone has a lot coming back as well and West Ridge has definitely made their presence known for a first year program.   How about the top R2 teams, any dropoff next year or is it the usual reload, aim and fire?  Does anyone from R1 even have a chance of making it past round 2?

As far as 5A goes, West was pretty young this year, so I would expect them to make a pretty strong run again next year. Central has a lot to replace, but they do return that young running back (Johnson). I would imagine they'll be in the conversation again, but they'll have to improve a lot to beat West. It'll be interesting to see if Central comes down even further in 2022, but we'll see.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, osunut2 said:

As far as 5A goes, West was pretty young this year, so I would expect them to make a pretty strong run again next year. Central has a lot to replace, but they do return that young running back (Johnson). I would imagine they'll be in the conversation again, but they'll have to improve a lot to beat West. It'll be interesting to see if Central comes down even further in 2022, but we'll see.

I cannot see anyone from R1/5A being able to hang with West or Central next year.     My guess is that Boone and Crockett will still finish near the top and hopefully both of us can give you guys a better game than the abysmal beat down we both got this year.      What about 5A Powell, how heavy of a graduation hit are they going to take?

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I cannot see anyone from R1/5A being able to hang with West or Central next year.     My guess is that Boone and Crockett will still finish near the top and hopefully both of us can give you guys a better game than the abysmal beat down we both got this year.      What about 5A Powell, how heavy of a graduation hit are they going to take?

Powell will be in the conversation for sure. They don't lose much on offense - Collins (WR), Stockton (RB), Gann (OT), and possibly Warren Nolen (OL), assuming his family follows Walter to College Station. Collins will be a big loss, but all of the other WRs come back, plus Potts has another year at QB. It'll be interesting to see who gets the nod at RB, with Stockton and Belcher graduating. The 3rd back this year was just a freshman, so they'll have to find someone who can tote the rock next season.

The defense will be the question mark. They only lose 5 guys - Nolen, Stanford (DE), Lusby (LB), Whitehead (DB), and Peterson (DB) - but Nolen is irreplaceable. Their front 7 will have to improve a lot in the off-season. They've got a budding star at DE (Soles), but they're going to need some beef in the middle of that defensive line if they have any chance of repeating next season.