Milan Head Coaching Job?

ttitan27

Just heard the news, and logged on to see the response. After scanning the comments, I can tell most of you that you are/were wrong about Diffee's job being in jeopardy from the administration. My source is rock solid, and the decision was made by Diffee to leave with no inference that he would be terminated at all. Not saying that some fans' comments went unheard, but not saying that had anything to do with it either. Milan's record this past season had a lot to do with things outside a head coach's control...injuries and strength of schedule only being part of the problem (which I won't get into). The decision to play up may not have been the most brilliant idea in retrospect either, and that decision was not made by Diffee, but by someone who I will not name, who may be on the hot seat more than the coach. Milan is Milan, and will get a long line of very qualified applicants to fill the position going forward.

14 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Just heard the news, and logged on to see the response. After scanning the comments, I can tell most of you that you are/were wrong about Diffee's job being in jeopardy from the administration. My source is rock solid, and the decision was made by Diffee to leave with no inference that he would be terminated at all. Not saying that some fans' comments went unheard, but not saying that had anything to do with it either. Milan's record this past season had a lot to do with things outside a head coach's control...injuries and strength of schedule only being part of the problem (which I won't get into). The decision to play up may not have been the most brilliant idea in retrospect either, and that decision was not made by Diffee, but by someone who I will not name, who may be on the hot seat more than the coach. Milan is Milan, and will get a long line of very qualified applicants to fill the position going forward.

Nice to hear a voice of reason on these boards. 

27 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You nailed it as usual Trader! Good post.

The problem with Milan (and everybody else in Region 7-4A) is that Haywood is not stopping anytime soon. While there are two schools looking for new head coaches, two other schools probably chewing on getting a new coach, and the other school hasn't been .500 since who knows, the Tomcats are a machine that's not going to stop. I don't believe that Diffee was forced out, but didn't beat Haywood and Peabody in '22, then he was going to be out. Unless I'm wrong, it wasn't a matter of "if" Diffee is out, it was a matter of "when." But the success of the neighboring schools will add jealousy to the people that put Million$ into that program and nothing is getting out of it so far. Milan is not a better football now than they were two years ago. I don't see it. I thought X's and O's wise I thought Diffee wasn't a bad coach. I actually thought they were better than Peabody when they played each other. However, 4 turnovers  (I think) and lack of a quality special teams unit is why they lost. I have no idea what happened in the Melrose game, but it wouldn't have mattered much even if they won.

Playing up into Region 7-4A wouldn't have mattered as much as what people believe. If they were still in Region 7-3 last year, they would still have the same identical record (or worst). They lost to Peabody, South Gibson, Huntingdon, and Hardin County this year. All four opponents were on last years schedule. I do believe Covington and Dyersburg were near identical teams this season, and I don't think Milan would beat the 2021 Covington team. Why? I don't see Milan beating Dyersburg. Milan would lose too Westview as well. So, if they had 2020 schedule's into 2021, they would still be a 6 loss team at minimum. I do appreciate the Bulldogs playing up to 4A. I hope they used the 2021 experience as a learning curve for them. There is still a large gap separating Haywood and everybody else in 7-4A.

53 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

If Milan won 4-6 games in 2020, would they be in 4A? Did they believe they're "back" because they had a good season and now, it appears to be a "outlier season"?

I usually stay away from Coach T from the championship games until August. However, I have read this thread with interest. Covington has a long-standing rivalry with Haywood. It’s a friendly rivalry, at least on my part. 

On the other hand, we have rivalries with Dyersburg and Milan that go back a long way, but are off-and-on as our teams move between the ever-changing TSSAA classifications. And, at least as far as I can tell, these rivalries are not friendly rivalries. There is considerable animosity built into these relationships. At least, that’s my opinion. 

As a Covington fan, I watched from afar as Milan built an expensive football facility, hired a new coach, and chose to “play up” one classification in football. I’m sure their investment has helped spur Tipton County to currently be in the process of installing artificial turf on all three of our HS football fields. So, thanks for providing part of the impetus for that change.

Still, I wonder what is happening in Milan and will watch for future developments. I agree with what another poster said about those who spent all that money probably not being happy with the status quo. 

Lol...

When I started this thread December 7th.  I had a strong feeling this was happening and even said it would happen over Christmas break to a friend in a private conversation.   Y'all can spin it anyway you want but I  saw it coming a mile away.   That Diffee boy has some growing up to do.  To many on and off field bad choices.   I hope he learns and grows from this.  I'm sure he will.  

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 4:28 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

All is well in Milan. We had a rough season because of injuries and a string of bad luck. Anything your hearing is just rumors from people that have nothing better to do with their time. And there may be people that come on this forum and claim differently but I can assure everyone Diffee is the man going forward. Everyone supports him from the top down. Yes there are some people in the community that are upset by a bad year but the ship is headed in the right direction and that’s all that matters. 

Before the New Year we should vote on the posts that have aged the best. My selection^

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

If Milan won 4-6 games in 2020, would they be in 4A? Did they believe they're "back" because they had a good season and now, it appears to be a "outlier season"?

I don't think that the decision to play up was determined by one season. Rightfully or not, Milan's past history and reputation dictates that a "successful season" ends with a gold ball, and most believe that 3A is Alcoa and everyone else is playing for silver...nevermind that the path to the championship game includes a deeper and tougher field of opponents in the western bracket, and always a formidable opponent out of the opposite side of the bracket as well.