Milan Head Coaching Job?

ttitan27

2 minutes ago, Tennesseepicks said:

He spent one year coaching with UT Martin and 2 years at Temple. I don’t think he needed a favor getting a chance to coach. I promise you he has more offensive knowledge than probably 90 percent coaching in the area. I know there’s more to the head coach position than calling plays thou

He was a GA for all those years with the main responsibility of making sure players made curfew and went to class.

If he made smart decisions and stuck with Rhule when at Temple instead of following the OC to Tennessee Tech he might be an assistant in Carolina right now.

I don’t doubt his ability to run an offense I do doubt his maturity to run a program. Milan can look at Diffie leaving as the blueprint there

3 minutes ago, NigCuppy said:

He was a GA for all those years with the main responsibility of making sure players made curfew and went to class.

If he made smart decisions and stuck with Rhule when at Temple instead of following the OC to Tennessee Tech he might be an assistant in Carolina right now.

I don’t doubt his ability to run an offense I do doubt his maturity to run a program. Milan can look at Diffie leaving as the blueprint there

I understand. Who would be your top 3 coaches to hire? I just don’t know how attractive job it is. It seems S Gibson has been on the incline the last 5 years and Milan hasn’t. Then you have a Powerhouse  in Trenton. Milan never had to compete with those schools

49 minutes ago, Tennesseepicks said:

He spent one year coaching with UT Martin and 2 years at Temple. I don’t think he needed a favor getting a chance to coach. I promise you he has more offensive knowledge than probably 90 percent coaching in the area. I know there’s more to the head coach position than calling plays thou

Yeah, this is misleading. I know there has been former High School players that went on to be student assistants at Memphis under Mike Norvell. The one I am close to went to North Side, he spent an internship with the Buccaneers and had an opportunity to go to Dallas and work for the Cowboys, but passed. There are two more that went to Dyersburg High and is still down there. Do you believe they know offense better than anyone because they spent some time in one of the best offensive systems in the country at Memphis under Norvell? I understand that Carr played at UTM, and spent two seasons at Temple, but Rhule is a defensive guy. Carr should've stayed with him at Baylor if he wanted to. 

Regardless, was Diffee a student assistant at Ole Miss? Being a GA in college is a hard and sacrificing job, but let's not sit there and act like those guys are football guru's. Because Diffee Carr, and some of the guys that I listed above (which I won't release names due to privacy reasons) spent time in college football, does that make them qualified for the job?

If Carr wants to be a head coach now, then Chester County would be the best fit for him. I would love for him to be a head coach for the Eagles. He has earned the right to be a head coach.  If not Chester County, then he'll have to be patient for now. For the Milan job: Tab Vowell will be the only guy I would recommend for this job. However, I can see him going to South  Gibson over Milan. If Milan doesn't want to go after Tab Vowell, then they would have to go outside West Tennessee to hire their next coach. Because  right now, there are now plenty of jobs that are better than Milan. Dyersburg, Henry County, Peabody, USJ, Hardin County, Lexington, Huntingdon, Hardin County,  Haywood, Covington, Munford, etc. Those jobs are better than Milan right now. Why? Because they would have to beat Haywood, Tullahoma, Pearl Cohn, and Montgomery Central in November? Add on Greeneville, Anderson County, and Elizabethton in December. I didn't even mentioned the schools in Memphis that they'll see in rounds 1 and 2. Everybody in West Tennessee knows what's going on at Milan. It's not really a secret. They see the "3rd coach in 5 years." Why would they leave their respected school to be pressured to win a state title at the hardest classification (probably other than 6A) in the state?

When Morris retired, they gave the job to Teddy Pettigrew, how'd that go? I do think that reason could prevent Carr from getting this job. I don't think Milan wants to go with the "hire from within" route again.

1 hour ago, Tennesseepicks said:

I understand. Who would be your top 3 coaches to hire? I just don’t know how attractive job it is. It seems S Gibson has been on the incline the last 5 years and Milan hasn’t. Then you have a Powerhouse  in Trenton. Milan never had to compete with those schools

I hear there’s a guy out of Alcoa available 

Football is a tough job in this generation, IMO. Back in the day there were 60-80 kids roaming the sidelines. Not like that any more. Some schools all they can do to get 30 players on the sideline. Milan may be going through a little of what Humboldt has went through the past several years. This generation don’t play football like in the past. Got to get a great coach that can relate to this generation.But you have to have kids that want 110% be a football player and have the drive. 

Here's a name. Brian Coleman at Summit. He's done a great job there and has probably reached his peak there with this senior class graduating. Milan can probably pay him more since they are an independent school district. He played for Bethel so not completely foreign to West Tennessee. Probably a long shot as he may be holding out for a big private school, but I don't see him staying at Summit for much longer. 

I’m gonna throw out a name that not many people will recognize but I have a lot of respect for this person as a coach and a human being. Jimmy Jackson, former coach at Caruthersville HS in Missouri. He played college ball at Mizzou and was a heck of an athlete. In Caruthersville he had little resources and support but consistently won 9-10 games or more and had deep playoff runs. He is currently taking an absence from coaching so is available and has a great family with his with also being a teacher. He is young and energetic and players love him. I know he probably wouldn’t get the job but I think he would be excellent hire. 

19 minutes ago, MidStateFan1 said:

Here's a name. Brian Coleman at Summit. He's done a great job there and has probably reached his peak there with this senior class graduating. Milan can probably pay him more since they are an independent school district. He played for Bethel so not completely foreign to West Tennessee. Probably a long shot as he may be holding out for a big private school, but I don't see him staying at Summit for much longer. 

Is Summit a Williamson Co. school?  If so I don’t think Milan could compete with them pay wise. JMO. 

9 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I’m gonna throw out a name that not many people will recognize but I have a lot of respect for this person as a coach and a human being. Jimmy Jackson, former coach at Caruthersville HS in Missouri. He played college ball at Mizzou and was a heck of an athlete. In Caruthersville he had little resources and support but consistently won 9-10 games or more and had deep playoff runs. He is currently taking an absence from coaching so is available and has a great family with his with also being a teacher. He is young and energetic and players love him. I know he probably wouldn’t get the job but I think he would be excellent hire. 

I know him and he is a great guy. But honestly, Caruthersville has had athletes running out their ears for decades and an easy schedule. Hard not to win there.

34 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Is Summit a Williamson Co. school?  If so I don’t think Milan could compete with them pay wise. JMO. 

Yes, but the football coaching stipends are one of the lowest in the state. The teacher pay is good, but not as high as people think. They also don't do negotiable contacts. You get paid exactly where you are on the teacher pay scale and what the Head Football coach stipend is.