alcoa VS big teams

theawesomebro

57 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

I keep hearing about Alcoa being the best in the state.  impressive list of championships for sure but how would they do playing teams like Oakland, LA or McCallie this past year?  I think those 3 are in a class by themselves. 

This years Alcoa team wouldn’t have had much for Oakland imho. They would have been able to put points on the board but would have had a difficult time getting defensive stops consistently. Last years team would have been a different story…

Alcoa scrimmaged McCallie just before the season started and pretty much had their way with them.  I think it was 3 scores to 1 when they decided to call it? The main thing most of us remember is hearing the McCallie head coach screaming at his players, telling them “this isn’t your typical 3A football team!” Anyway, a scrimmage is just a scrimmage. That would have been a great game to see.

We had had some great games with LA in the past. This is another game that would have been a great one. They seemed to be a well balanced team. Again, would have been a great game…

:thumb:

50 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Here is a proposed playoff system that might answer such questions, although the TSSAA will never adopt anything like this:

that sounds way better.  missed that on the other thread!

29 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

This years Alcoa team wouldn’t have had much for Oakland imho. They would have been able to put points on the board but would have had a difficult time getting defensive stops consistently. Last years team would have been a different story…

Alcoa scrimmaged McCallie just before the season started and pretty much had their way with them.  I think it was 3 scores to 1 when they decided to call it? The main thing most of us remember is hearing the McCallie head coach screaming at his players, telling them “this isn’t your typical 3A football team!” Anyway, a scrimmage is just a scrimmage. That would have been a great game to see.

We had had some great games with LA in the past. This is another game that would have been a great one. They seemed to be a well balanced team. Again, would have been a great game…

:thumb:

yeah I looked back and saw the old games way back in the day.  I hope they get to play again.  mccallie is hard for me to read since there wasn't as much crossover but I don't put much stock in scrimmages.

25 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

They would beat every team in Tennessee not named Oakland or Maryville. 

i'm guessing your east TN.  can you provide some context to support that?  i'm middle so I have some bias but I dont think Alcoa beats LA or CPA for that matter.  Oakland didn't have much competition outside of those 2 and that includes Maryville.  I think LA beats Maryville as well FWIW as they had 2 close games and a loss.  LA had no close games outside of Oakland.  also, either I am reading it wrong or Alcoa had by far the worst strength of schedule out of the top 20.  (Aloca low number versus high).

fun to debate in any case!

4 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

yeah I looked back and saw the old games way back in the day.  I hope they get to play again.  mccallie is hard for me to read since there wasn't as much crossover but I don't put much stock in scrimmages.

i'm guessing your east TN.  can you provide some context to support that?  i'm middle so I have some bias but I dont think Alcoa beats LA or CPA for that matter.  Oakland didn't have much competition outside of those 2 and that includes Maryville.  I think LA beats Maryville as well FWIW as they had 2 close games and a loss.  LA had no close games outside of Oakland.  also, either I am reading it wrong or Alcoa had by far the worst strength of schedule out of the top 20.  (Aloca low number versus high).

My only view is Maryville has been the only team to beat Alcoa consistently. Same could be said for Oakland, they are the only team to be Maryville consistently. Lipscomb Academy has a ways to go to reach the status of Alcoa and with Trent there they will be able to pull kids establish a good run. Just right now until someone can play Alcoa in the regular season and beat them, I'll say Alcoa until proven otherwise. Beat West this past year in a close game 21-20 and Rhea Co. 41-13, two teams Powell beat in the playoffs to get to state. 

19 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

LA yes, CPA no…. Yeah, I hear ya about our strength of schedule. I don’t think it’s as low as what you are suggesting, but it would have been nice to have had Greeneville and Betsy for two years. Those two along with West and Rhea would have been a great boost.  Oh well, we wanted it but they didnt, so it’s difficult for me to bash our schedule. We basically play who will play us. We are now paying teams to play us on a consistent basis. I guess money talks…

Alcoa also begged Powell, Central and about 48 other schools (several outside the state) to fill covid backouts but ALL refused. None had any REAL good excuses as to why they wouldn’t play….:thumb:

Edited by Throwdeslant

14 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

LA yes, CPA no…. Yeah, I hear ya about our strength of schedule. I don’t think it’s as low as what you are suggesting, but it would have been nice to have had Greeneville and Betsy for two years. Those two along with West and Rhea would have been a great boost.  Oh well, we wanted it but they didnt, so it’s difficult for me to bash our schedule. We basically play who will play us. We are now paying teams to play us on a consistent basis. I guess money talks…

Alcoa also begged Powell, Central and about 48 other schools (several outside the state) to fill covid backouts but ALL refused. None had any REAL good excuses as to why they wouldn’t play….:thumb:

I was going to say they had teams pull out but could not remember all the dynamics to it. I'd like to see them play Powell, AC Catholic, West and Farragut on a regular basis. To do a home and home every few years. 

• Upvote 1