alcoa VS big teams

theawesomebro

15 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

My only view is Maryville has been the only team to beat Alcoa consistently. Same could be said for Oakland, they are the only team to be Maryville consistently. Lipscomb Academy has a ways to go to reach the status of Alcoa and with Trent there they will be able to pull kids establish a good run. Just right now until someone can play Alcoa in the regular season and beat them, I'll say Alcoa until proven otherwise. Beat West this past year in a close game 21-20 and Rhea Co. 41-13, two teams Powell beat in the playoffs to get to state. 

it's like east has a pyramid with maryville on top and middle has a pyramid with oakland on top and we both think our pyramid is higher.  : )  head to head is the way to go.

13 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

LA yes, CPA no…. Yeah, I hear ya about our strength of schedule. I don’t think it’s as low as what you are suggesting, but it would have been nice to have had Greeneville and Betsy for two years. Those two along with West and Rhea would have been a great boost.  Oh well, we wanted it but they didnt, so it’s difficult for me to bash our schedule. We basically play who will play us. We are now paying teams to play us on a consistent basis. I guess money talks…

Alcoa also begged Powell, Central and about 48 other schools (several outside the state) to fill covid backouts but ALL refused. None had any REAL good excuses as to why they wouldn’t play….:thumb:

yeah LA had a tough time sceduing in general and played 3 out of state teams.  Oakland was a covid fill in for LA.  props to them for stepping up and playing on short notice.  I could be reading the strength of schedule wrong.  it's been known to happen.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I'd like to see them play Powell, AC Catholic, West and Farragut on a regular basis. To do a home and home every few years. 

Alcoa has wanted that for years. Unfortunately, it won’t happen. I was shocked that West agreed to play. Was nice to see them step up, but I bet they don’t renew the series after next year…

2 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

I keep hearing about Alcoa being the best in the state.  impressive list of championships for sure but how would they do playing teams like Oakland, LA or McCallie this past year?  I think those 3 are in a class by themselves. 

Without reading through what everyone thinks,I will give an analogy with Alcoa and boxing.Their size is like a Roberto Duran who was a great champion and won in four different classes . Alcoa not only beats the light and middle weights as Duran did,they step up and fight the 300 pounders as well.Sometimes they knock those guys out and sometimes  they lose close hard fought games like the yearly Maryville game.Pound for pound,Alcoa is many times better then nearly every public school in the state and what other schools, private included have done better in the trophy room over the last couple of decades. That's why folks put them up at the top when talking about programs and it's hard to argue against.

Edited by BatmanDevil
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Without reading through what everyone thinks,I will give an analogy with Alcoa and boxing.There size is like a Roberto Duran who was a great champion and won in four different classes . Alcoa not only beats the light and middle weights as Duran did,they step up and fight the 300 pounders as well.Sometimes they knock those guys out and sometimes  they lose close hard fought games like the yearly Maryville game.Pound for pound,Alcoa is many times better then nearly every public school in the state and what other schools, private included have done better in the throphy room over the last couple of decades. That's why folks put them up at the top when talking about programs and it's hard to argue against.

That is a great analogy. 

11 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Without reading through what everyone thinks,I will give an analogy with Alcoa and boxing.Their size is like a Roberto Duran who was a great champion and won in four different classes . Alcoa not only beats the light and middle weights as Duran did,they step up and fight the 300 pounders as well.Sometimes they knock those guys out and sometimes  they lose close hard fought games like the yearly Maryville game.Pound for pound,Alcoa is many times better then nearly every public school in the state and what other schools, private included have done better in the trophy room over the last couple of decades. That's why folks put them up at the top when talking about programs and it's hard to argue against.

Well said brother! :thumb:

34 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I was going to say they had teams pull out but could not remember all the dynamics to it. I'd like to see them play Powell, AC Catholic, West and Farragut on a regular basis. To do a home and home every few years. 

They used to scrimmage Farragut every year and no contest. Farragut had nothing for them Alcoa beat them pretty bad and Farragut stop scrimmaging. Those other teams you named no contest for Alcoa. I had the chance to watch them practices. All I can say is unreal Rankin runs a first class practice all with his assist coaches. No one stands around every one is in the mix. Why they are like they are every year next guy is ready to go. Very impressed with there practices.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rollnoles said:

They used to scrimmage Farragut every year and no contest. Farragut had nothing for them Alcoa beat them pretty bad and Farragut stop scrimmaging. Those other teams you named no contest for Alcoa. I had the chance to watch them practices. All I can say is unreal Rankin runs a first class practice all with his assist coaches. No one stands around every one is in the mix. Why they are like they are every year next guy is ready to go. Very impressed with there practices.

Every few years Farragut has a team that can have a solid year. But traditionally they don’t matchup well against teams like Alcoa with speed and playmakers. More for the team experience and fan experience to play those teams. Coaches have to stop scheduling those easy non-district games and play those that know what they are doing if that’s what they want to achieve. 

9 minutes ago, rollnoles said:

You can tell something is right by the yearly outcome. As to a scrimmage or other things like JV games, that's kind of a gray area.Some schools are just loaded like Alcoa and whoever goes out on the field is going to compete well.Some schools will send out their best against another schools backups or just work on what needs fixing and you don't really have a clue to how good they are.I seen that when DB would scrimmage Maryville several years ago .When it came to the real deal, that's when you knew Maryville had another gear or two and a few hundred horses they hadn't shown.

1 hour ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I was going to say they had teams pull out but could not remember all the dynamics to it. I'd like to see them play Powell, AC Catholic, West and Farragut on a regular basis. To do a home and home every few years. 

Me too! It would save Alcoa having to travels so much. Just in the past years Alcoa traveled to Blackman and Kingsport DB. Close to Three Hour drives. Next season....to Cookeville and Rhea County. Next season will have Knox. West traveling to Alcoa. Alcoa will probably need one more out of region game. Another knoxville Area team would be great!:thumb:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Me too! It would save Alcoa having to travels so much. Just in the past years Alcoa traveled to Blackman and Kingsport DB. Close to Three Hour drives. Next season....to Cookeville and Rhea County. Next season will have Knox. West traveling to Alcoa. Alcoa will probably need one more out of region game. Another knoxville Area team would be great!:thumb:

All of these teams like Alcoa, Powell, Maryville, Greenville, AC, CAK, Catholic, SD, Farragut, Catholic, CAK, Webb all need to be playing each other every few years. Instead of chasing win, play other local teams and let these kids experience a home and home with teams they don't normally play. Give the fans a new experience, new venues, new stadiums. Helps out local businesses that you might normally go to but since you're there eat at the restaurant that is a beacon in that area. 

2 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

thanks for the analogy.  I liked it.  but I think I keep hearing that because a team like LA hasn't had Alcoa's long term success, you don't believe they would have beaten Alcoa this year even though they played a tougher schedule, are ranked 3rd in the state and top 100 in the country.   : )  please note I was only talking about these teams this season.  clearly sustained success is a whole other thing that I can't argue with.  

in any case, I'm enjoying the discussion and love your passionate fanbase!  I was a little bored earlier in the day and now I am not!

4 hours ago, JohnnyUtah said:

My only view is Maryville has been the only team to beat Alcoa consistently. Same could be said for Oakland, they are the only team to be Maryville consistently. Lipscomb Academy has a ways to go to reach the status of Alcoa and with Trent there they will be able to pull kids establish a good run. Just right now until someone can play Alcoa in the regular season and beat them, I'll say Alcoa until proven otherwise. Beat West this past year in a close game 21-20 and Rhea Co. 41-13, two teams Powell beat in the playoffs to get to state. 

This past season LA competes with anyone in TN and beats most.  Had the ball inside Oakland’s 10 for the potential tie as the game ended. Handled CPA twice easily, 38-0 and 27-0. CPA played Oakland to a 1 score game. Mercy ruled the #2 team from Arkansas who played in their state championship. Picked up an out of region game with Knox Catholic and won 44-0. 

It will be interesting to see if Trent can maintain what he has started. But this year they and Oakland were the 2 best I saw. 

• Like 1